Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Clockwork Wars» Forums » General

Subject: Great game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Master Roshi
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first CW game today. I get that the factions (mongrels???) are slightly awkward, but if you judge on mechanics and components quality only, how is this game not more popular?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Reid
msg tools
I agree. I just picked it up and played my second game today.

I think it's great and it should receive more attention.

It has a set of straightforward systems that interact extremely well.

Today, one player played the Sabotage Espionage card to take out the soldiers in a Tower territory that contained a powerful Late Age discovery that could shoot across the map, once per turn for each Tower hex controlled, destroy enemy soldiers and score VPs for each soldier eliminated.

The controlling player had two Towers and was reeking havoc and racking up the VPs.

That player would have won if not for the timely play of the Sabotage card, part of a well done Espionage system.

The game is a lot of fun.

It plays smoothly and quickly once the rules are known.

I love the plotting of unit deployments and the simultaneous placement of those units on the map. Very tense in a good way.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rock Bronson

Kansas City
Kansas
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep spreading the word! It IS a great game! Clockwork Wars is one of those games to truly, undeservedly fly under the radar, and it deserves more hype! After owning it for a year and a half, it's still a go-to game. The variability keeps it fresh and and it's just so well designed that it's been awesome every time. I have played all player counts, and it holds up! Very few games can claim that- I've never figured out why it's not more popular.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master Roshi
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game mechanics are very tight. The game components are great (yes it uses discs and not minis for standard units, but these latter would not all fit on hexes for larger battles, the discs can stack). The game scales well with different number of players. It has large replay value thanks to numerous techs and map. I love the simultaneous movement phase, it ratchets up the tension.

CW is a fantastic game that deserves more attention.

Could it be that the not so attractive theme/factions (who wants to be a dog or monkey), turned off backers of other players?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been very tempted a few times to pick it up to review it but price and availability has always been very challenging.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So So
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very good game. I love the dynamic board. With the extra tiles in the expansion and kickstarter (gulag, etc), you can make so many different maps. The mechanics are so simple and clear. The only complexity is the phases..you just need to follow the order.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robski Horus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
I have been very tempted a few times to pick it up to review it but price and availability has always been very challenging.


Just bought mine on amazon £35Inc postage and bought the expansion for £19 Inc postage on ebay.

Cannot wait to try this our. At the moment locked in a marathon Runwars game
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In total agreement this is an excellent game, but it continues to perplex me as to why it is not more popular. People who are playing it really like it, coming in with a very respectable 7.7 BGG rating which mystifies me even further. Some of my thoughts that I've been wondering about are:

1. Complexity & length
2. Came out at the same time as something similar that robbed attention from CWW.
3. Price point
4. Too many games of this genre that obscured this game's standout qualities
5. Too few reviews or the big names didn't review it
6. EGG didn't publicize it enough such as at Cons or because they were focused on publicizing another game when CWW released
7. Just a fluky thing that happens to really good games at times
8. Some or all of the above
9. None of the above

Really all just speculation as I truly haven't a clue here. I don't see it as an excellent niche game that appeals to only a small playership. The theme is definitely there and in a popular genre. Anyone have the inside scoop or a better theory? Lastly, this certainly won't influence me playing the hell out of it as it's a joy to play even if a tad fiddly at times IMO.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robski Horus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
In total agreement this is an excellent game, but it continues to perplex me as to why it is not more popular. People who are playing it really like it, coming in with a very respectable 7.7 BGG rating which mystifies me even further. Some of my thoughts that I've been wondering about are:

1. Complexity & length
2. Came out at the same time as something similar that robbed attention from CWW.
3. Price point
4. Too many games of this genre that obscured this game's standout qualities
5. Too few reviews or the big names didn't review it
6. EGG didn't publicize it enough such as at Cons or because they were focused on publicizing another game when CWW released
7. Just a fluky thing that happens to really good games at times
8. Some or all of the above
9. None of the above

Really all just speculation as I truly haven't a clue here. I don't see it as an excellent niche game that appeals to only a small playership. The theme is definitely there and in a popular genre. Anyone have the inside scoop or a better theory? Lastly, this certainly won't influence me playing the hell out of it as it's a joy to play even if a tad fiddly at times IMO.

My Theory:

1) No Minis- Disks are a turn off. A great example is Cry Havoc, lots of lovely minis but slightly disjointed game, but is selling better than CW which is a far better game.
2) Names like Mongrels and Purebloods again a bit of a turn off.
3) Fighting over Forests and Lakes could also be a bit of a thematic turn off.


I suspect that even little minis as in Runewars and better thematics would have seen this game fly off the shelves.

Just my opinion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Horus wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
In total agreement this is an excellent game, but it continues to perplex me as to why it is not more popular. People who are playing it really like it, coming in with a very respectable 7.7 BGG rating which mystifies me even further. Some of my thoughts that I've been wondering about are:

1. Complexity & length
2. Came out at the same time as something similar that robbed attention from CWW.
3. Price point
4. Too many games of this genre that obscured this game's standout qualities
5. Too few reviews or the big names didn't review it
6. EGG didn't publicize it enough such as at Cons or because they were focused on publicizing another game when CWW released
7. Just a fluky thing that happens to really good games at times
8. Some or all of the above
9. None of the above

Really all just speculation as I truly haven't a clue here. I don't see it as an excellent niche game that appeals to only a small playership. The theme is definitely there and in a popular genre. Anyone have the inside scoop or a better theory? Lastly, this certainly won't influence me playing the hell out of it as it's a joy to play even if a tad fiddly at times IMO.

My Theory:

1) No Minis- Disks are a turn off. A great example is Cry Havoc, lots of lovely minis but slightly disjointed game, but is selling better than CW which is a far better game.
2) Names like Mongrels and Purebloods again a bit of a turn off.
3) Fighting over Forests and Lakes could also be a bit of a thematic turn off.


I suspect that even little minis as in Runewars and better thematics would have seen this game fly off the shelves.

Just my opinion.

I think there is an awful lot of merit in your opinion as everything you noted hit home with me at least. I haven't played CH yet so I can't personally comment on whether it's the better game but it would be stiff competition for CWW. Both are pricey games (CWW more so), so that would make sense as well since CH has been wildly popular.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.