Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game Paris Connection with my wife and daughter last night. I really enjoyed the game, as did my daughter. My wife (who isn't a big fan of gaming in general) mentioned that the multiple end conditions frustrated her and made her not want to play the game again.

For some background, Paris Connection is a train stock/rail laying game which has 2 end conditions:

1) Empty 5 out of 6 boards containing train pieces
2) Cause one train company to lay track in a continuous line from the start area to a single city on the board, Marseilles.

She said she didn't like knowing that at any time someone could effectively end the game by making a beeline for Marseilles. We had a moderate argument about this with my side being that very few people who enjoyed gaming would do this as you don't know how many points the other players have.

She argued that they could have either removed the city end condition, or extended it to another city. I argued that if someone were to make a beeline for the end city, the other players would work together to prevent it.

We went back and forth until she used the word "objective" instead of end condition, and I realized her viewpoint. She was looking at a way of intentionally ending the game and choosing not to...sort of like having a gun and not pulling the trigger.

I'm curious what other games have this type of setup, and if you've played Paris Connection and agree with me, or with my wife.

Cheers
Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Innovation has this.

The main winning condition is to be the first player to collect a set number of achievement cards (four to six depending on how many players there are). But there are ten levels of cards and if any player runs through all the levels and goes past the tenth level, the game ends - and the winner is whoever has the most points not the player who passed the tenth level (or the player who has the most achievements).

So players can't simply race to gather achievement cards. If they do they run the risk that another player will be working on getting past the tenth level while collecting points. This possibility requires players to work on defense as well as offense.

To make things even more complicated, there's a third way to win. A few cards in the deck can create a separate winning condition based on holding certain other cards. It's hard to do but the fact this possibility exists makes an upset victory possible.

Personally I like the overall effect. If the only victory condition was collecting achievement cards, the game would just be a simple race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had our first play of Paris Connection today as well. I agree with you. I think perhaps your wife is thinking that the goal of playing a game is to finish the game, when in fact the goal is not just to end the game, it is to get points. It wouldn't really help a player to make a b-line for Marseilles as far as I can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like 2 games that have this:

You can win Attika by either building all 30 of your buildings or by connecting two temples.

Glory to Rome can end in any of the following ways:
A player builds the forum and has a client of each of the 6 types -- he wins.
A player takes the last in-town site -- winner is the player with the most points.
The draw pile runs out of cards -- winner is the player with the most points.
A player builds the catacombs -- winner is the player with the most points.

In Glory to Rome, the players can get the game to finish early by either taking in-town sites or building the catacombs -- no guarantee you'll win, but a valid strategy if you think you are winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really easy to stop any of the lines in Paris from reaching Marseilles, so what your wife is really saying is "I don't want to have to waste a turn here and there to stop someone from reaching Marseilles."

Pete (has little sympathy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Pete, that was my counter argument too. Any player or players could team up to prevent someone from making a beeline for Marseilles. I think the take away for me is that my wife doesn't like gaming. So if she can finish the game early, then she'll do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
no guarantee you'll win, but a valid strategy if you think you are winning.

I think that's the key point. In a lot of these games it seems like there's a main end condition that functions as a deadline; it serves as a way of making sure the game doesn't drift along too long. But alternate end conditions exist so players can avoid this deadline. If they're ahead, they can force the game to end at a point when it's advantageous for them. So both end conditions serve a good purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Matthews
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Mike, that's one of the problems with my wife's argument for this specific game. It's hidden information, so while every player has some amount of stock behind their shield, you don't know how much, and of what value. So rushing the end of the game yourself is a calculated risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.