Subject: Difference between Wellington's Victory & La Bataille rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Isles
United Kingdom
YORK
yorkshire
flag msg tools
I've played Wellingtons Victory and was considering purchasing something from the La bataille series. How do these compare with each other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas E. Gebhardt
Germany
Birkenwerder
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glenn,

TMHO there are just slight differences. So the scale just differs by some meters (La Bataille is 100 m/hex, while WV is 91 m/ hex = 100 yards/hex).
I did play both games years ago. Still have the WV impression deepest embodied due to the fact that WV is Waterloo pure - while my La Bataille game of that time was (the old) Auerstaedt.
The La Bataille Series got its improvement with Regulations of the Year XXII (4th Edition)!
If you want to compare a bit in depth, try SPI's "Ney vs. Wellington" - The Battle of Quatre Bras, which is WV on smaller map with less counters involved. On the other hand La Bataille has published its Quatre Bras Module meanwhile. So just try, both are fun for Tactical Napoleonics!!!

Cheers

Andy (521tiger)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael clark
Uruguay
Missouri
flag msg tools
While I love both games I think that there are some definite differences. The most obvious one is the "what if" factor of being able to play the campaign with the La Bataille series. It has been a long time since I played these and i don't have them in front of me, but....
The difference between the two Waterloo battles is still pretty significant. I found that in WV the stacks of skirmishers and the numbered chits added great depth and flexibility but they were still kind of cumbersome. In the La Bataille series you simply cannot beat the beauty of the maps and counters (even the charts are done in a font that somehow "feels" more historic). When troops go in to line for firing or charging it is pretty close to the same feeling you get from miniatures! WV sometimes seemed like a race to get the other armies morale down far enough to cause problems (For some reason that sticks out to me. It was a good system and overlooked by most games) out of context to what was actually happening on the battlefield.
Play them both, their wonderful games! The artistry of the La Bataille series will amaze you I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.