Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious.

Starting with the Midnight Masks we have been using toothpicks to denote the paths between locations, and found it invaluable in The Curse of the Rougarou
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(seeing as how you have to calculate which location is furthest from any particular location multiple times)

So far, most can be linked via a single pick, but some locations demand a chain. The only inelegant elements are locations links that have to cross existing links, but in practice we've not had any issues keeping the paths clear (in the future I'll use different colored picks for these).

Anyhoo, just a fun tip.

p.s. another fun tip: cupcake baking cups are a great and cheap way to organize chits for many games. (link to example.. I wasn't sure what these were actually called till I found this link).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used toothpicks to connect locations, it works pretty well. I did end up moving to popsicle sticks though because they are a little bit sturdier. My friends and I kept dislodging the toothpicks accidentally when placing and removing tokens or cards whenever we had 3 or 4 players.

Good tip on the baking cups, never thought of that. I feel like I've spent almost as much time customizing my play area and storage for this game as actually playing it (though not in a bad way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Litko just released some nice pathway markers. They also have a nice token upgrade kit too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elosoruso wrote:
I did end up moving to popsicle sticks though because they are a little bit sturdier.

Me too. And hobby lobby has pack of popsicle shaped wood tokens in various lengths, so you can reduce the table space a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:
Litko just released some nice pathway markers. They also have a nice token upgrade kit too.

Here's the link for others that might be interested in checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Random tips: Anybody else using toothpicks to map locations?
We use wooden "roads" like you find in Catan or similar games. You can also buy them online separately. Green for a direct path. Green+red for a one way path. Yellow for some sort of cautionary effect. Etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Molash
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stonemaier games has a horror chest that has hearts and brains cast resin and painted. Their original treasure chest hast little crates that we use as resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Factor
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Volko Ruhnke's medulla oblongata....
mbmbmb
Bigsixer wrote:

As someone potentially entering into this game... How many of each of the Litko token sets would one need? I say this as primarily a solo player who would be playing one- or two-handed.

The following are available from Litko:

- AH Resource Tokens (qty 10)
- AH Clue Tokens (qty 10)
- AH Doom Tokens (qty 10)
- AH Path Tokens (5 one-way, 5 dual)

- AH Adventure Token Set (contains 1 of each package of the aforementioned)

Anyone have any fairly concrete idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.