Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: The Hand... a Spoilery Poll: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We fought our first Level 2 Hand earlier today, and I'm happy to say we won without too much in the way of casualties. After our last fight against him, we realized the safest way to tackle him is to avoid attacking him and try to survive the expiration of the AI deck. I'd be lying if I said it didn't feel like we were playing against the spirit of the game, though.

So, a poll question: How does your group tackle The Hand?

Poll
1. How do you usually try to defeat The Hand?
No attacks. Best to keep those lenses closed and avoid interaction as much as possible.
Attack a little bit. But the goal is to just survive long enough.
Attack plenty. Trying to weather the storm is boring.
Attack as much as possible. Why else are we playing?
2. For those who play to kill The Hand, how often do you succeed in killing him before his deck runs out?
Never.
Rarely.
Sometimes.
Often.
Always.
      43 answers
Poll created by DavidT
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify my responses: if I feel well enough equipped, I'll go full aggro against the Hand at lvl 1, but I don't feel it's a good idea to go aggro against lvl 2 and 3 Hands--they're too tough. I sometimes also use Heart Flute to go after lvl 1 Hands for additional all-out attack runs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried once since getting pretty good, beat him, but still think it's best to just tank it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment, all of my encounters with him have been all about just surviving.

I tried killing him once by using a collection of survivors, from different settlements, that stood out.
Those lenses are just too brutal. You need to find a way to have white aura'd survivors that have good stats to have an easier time with him.

Zamnath wrote:
To clarify my responses: if I feel well enough equipped, I'll go full aggro against the Hand at lvl 1, but I don't feel it's a good idea to go aggro against lvl 2 and 3 Hands--they're too tough. I sometimes also use Heart Flute to go after lvl 1 Hands for additional all-out attack runs.


Lv.2 is actually still manageable. The Lv.3 The Hand, however, is a different story. That jump in stats is insane.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Avatar
I do feel like The Hand could stand to have some stats taken away from his Lens bonuses and added to his baseline attack profiles. E.g., instead of a 2 speed attack that gets +5 speed if the blue lens is open, have it be a 4 speed attack that gets +3 speed if the blue lens is open.

That, and Respect needs a serious buff, because at the moment it actually gives worse rewards than Applause does. Which is silly considering how much harder it is to get.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We defeated him (it's just not right to say 'killed' as the entire time you fight him he's toying with you) once because of the codpiece critical hit. It was NOT worth it compared to what you get by by surviving.

Heart Flute + L1 Hand for the win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Italics wrote:
We defeated him (it's just not right to say 'killed' as the entire time you fight him he's toying with you) once because of the codpiece critical hit. It was NOT worth it compared to what you get by by surviving.

Heart Flute + L1 Hand for the win.


Haha, I must completely suck then. I just assumed no one was beating this guy. The fight feel like i'm fighting raiden from Mortal Kombat. He warps everywhere and I can't keep my main tank on him. Then again my main tank was in leather so maybe you guys had better equipment going in the fight? He hits like a truck so it doesn't take long for my tank to go down.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnson
msg tools
Avatar
malkaven wrote:
Italics wrote:
We defeated him (it's just not right to say 'killed' as the entire time you fight him he's toying with you) once because of the codpiece critical hit. It was NOT worth it compared to what you get by by surviving.

Heart Flute + L1 Hand for the win.


Haha, I must completely suck then. I just assumed no one was beating this guy. The fight feel like i'm fighting raiden from Mortal Kombat. He warps everywhere and I can't keep my main tank on him. Then again my main tank was in leather so maybe you guys had better equipment going in the fight? He hits like a truck so it doesn't take long for my tank to go down.
Stack evasion whenever possible. Equip everyone with a shield. Use the Rawhide Headband to scry his next attack and figure out who he's going to attack as well as manipulate the deck so his more dangerous cards get buried and Applause happens one round early, and then have the target of his next attack use their shield to block. Between your shield block and your dodge survival action that negates two hits per round, so he'll have a hard time landing attacks especially with evasion on your survivors.
1 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Khift wrote:
malkaven wrote:
Italics wrote:
We defeated him (it's just not right to say 'killed' as the entire time you fight him he's toying with you) once because of the codpiece critical hit. It was NOT worth it compared to what you get by by surviving.

Heart Flute + L1 Hand for the win.


Haha, I must completely suck then. I just assumed no one was beating this guy. The fight feel like i'm fighting raiden from Mortal Kombat. He warps everywhere and I can't keep my main tank on him. Then again my main tank was in leather so maybe you guys had better equipment going in the fight? He hits like a truck so it doesn't take long for my tank to go down.
Stack evasion whenever possible. Equip everyone with a shield. Use the Rawhide Headband to scry his next attack and figure out who he's going to attack as well as manipulate the deck so his more dangerous cards get buried and Applause happens one round early, and then have the target of his next attack use their shield to block. Between your shield block and your dodge survival action that negates two hits per round, so he'll have a hard time landing attacks especially with evasion on your survivors.


Thanks! I have a campaign close to the fight so I'll setup a mock scenario and give this strategy a go.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Italics wrote:
it's just not right to say 'killed' as the entire time you fight him he's toying with you


Yep, my bad. I realized I used the wrong term after posting, but I can't edit the poll.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I always decide in the first turn of the fight whether I am going to tank him...90% of the time...or try for Respect. Basically I look at the top three hit locations with a Cat's Eye Circlet, and if there are two hit locations I can crit with Founding Stones that will make the fight easier, I go for it.

I don't do it for the rewards; I do it for the challenge.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
First time I fought him I wailed on him hard and beat him with ease.

However since that campaign I just try to get a wound in for anyone levelling up their weapon proficiency. Use cats eye to try to get hit locations that close eyes, or wait till he has one card left and get the hit in.

Sometimes it is better to suffer the penalty and risk it than take a hit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Slaaneth wrote:
First time I fought him I wailed on him hard and beat him with ease.

However since that campaign I just try to get a wound in for anyone levelling up their weapon proficiency. Use cats eye to try to get hit locations that close eyes, or wait till he has one card left and get the hit in.

Sometimes it is better to suffer the penalty and risk it than take a hit.


Waiting until he had 1 card left wouldn't work would it? I don't have the cards in front of but doesn't he have a trait that ignores wounds until x amount of token are on the trait card?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.