Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Building a starbase under siege rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat game but holy hell the rulebook is a mess.

We ran into a situation tonight and we were looking for some clarification.

The Klingon player attacked the fed player and forced the fleet into retreat. The turn ended with the Klingon fleet in orbit around the planet.

On the fed players turn he built a starbase there.

Was that a legal play? Can you build a starbase on a planet that is surrounded? We couldn't find anything that explicitly said no, but it feels very wrong for a thematic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah. It was legal. You can commission a starbase in any system control. I assume he put it there to help in a space battle against your ships later in the same phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rule book is good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lockdall

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
badge
weaving waves of air
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few quick reference materials and even an index available on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Yeah. It was legal. You can commission a starbase in any system control. I assume he put it there to help in a space battle against your ships later in the same phase?
Yeah, I also assumed it was legal according to the rules while not really making sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Well, look at it this way: the disk is a system, not just a planet. So the Romulans might park a fleet at Neptune, waiting to do mischief next month, so you've got enough time for your industrial replicators to whip up some defensive space station to aid your own ships. Thematically, I've seen worse on the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauro Cimmarrusti
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
ALOHA,if build Starbase in Sieged system is a GIFT for sieger if not fast reteke the system! Sorry for my English

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Hahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
the devs at one point stated that a turn in this game should be seen as a decade, so the Klingons not invading the System the moment they won the space battle means they laid siege to a System for a decade.

This seems like enough time to sneak a starbase into your technically still controlled system.

For the actual gameplay, if the outcome of the battle is as unclear that a single starbase(equivalent of a ship) can make an impact this might aswell be a gift for the Klingons, just saying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Tactically, though, it allows you to build your next fleet where it may be most needed, without having to move it. I have, once or twice, hegemonized a rival's world, built a starbase that turn, and then built fleets there on the next turn. It's risky, of course, but it can be devastating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.