Subject: Army Family newly into gaming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Cheizmon
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello all! The wife and I are really new to this gaming world and I'm hooked! I'm in the Army and my wife is about to join as well. About two months ago, I purchased Zombicide Rue Morgue and Angry Neighbors expansion. Ive introduced it to her, as well as some friends and they're all hooked. I then bought Elser sign, and it's unquestionably her favorite! We just got Mice and mystics and Sentinels of the Multiverse but haven't had a chance to play them JUST yet. SOON!! As you all notice, there is a bit of a trend with the co-op games because so far it let all we know and absolutely love the mechanics. We stumbled across a video for Betrayal at House on the Hill and are extremely interested in this one, not to mention a handful of others but that one stands out the most right now. With me being gone on missions and deployments, we really like the ability to bond over board games and beer instead of sitting in front of the tv. Soooo, do any of you have suggestions of any games you absolutely LOVE that we should try?! And or, do you have any good games you don't play anymore that we could borrow/use/pay it forward? Thanks for reading!! We look forward to your replies!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you like co-ops, I might suggest a slight variation in the genre - the "one against many" asymmetric type game. We love both Letters from Whitechapel and Fury of Dracula (third edition). Have a look at Ghost Stories as well.

Welcome to BGG, and I hope you find as much joy as we have with the interaction that board games can provide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest is a ton of fun. I play at 2 player a lot and 3 and 4 players as well. Plus there is already 1 expansion available and a bunch more coming soon in 2017 if you end up loving it. It's a ton of fun to take out your opponant's guild members and snatch victory right from under their nose! But there is also no player elimination. Highly recommended!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Complexity is the only thing that keeps us from predicting every second of our future. hmmm!
badge
“ I am a determinist. As such, I do not believe in free will. " -Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I then bought Elser sign, and it's unquestionably her favorite!

Mansions of Madness

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition

Second edition is heads above with a Tablet driven dungeon master.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Mr Cheizmon!

I'm noticing that you and yours have taken quite the liking to thematic games!

I have a few suggestions for you but first, I think that Betrayal at House in Hill will be loads of fun for you! It's a simple game to grasp, but it has fantastic replay-ability and theme. I enjoy it for bringing non-gamers into this hobby as well as its story telling charm.

Anyway here are my suggestions:

1. Wiz-War (eighth edition)

Wiz-War is not co-op but it is thematic, goofy, and chalk full of exciting wizard battles. You and up to 4 others all run around a maze trying to steal each other's treasure. The battles that ensue are what gives the game its fantastic fun. It's thematic enough for its concept but most of all it is one of the most flexible games I've played. The rules exist to be tweaked and modded to your own liking, and the game really shines when you customize it to each group you play with. The best part about this is that it is easy to do! If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea then know that it's just as good right out of the box. It has cards, miniatures, chits, "modular" boards, etc. It is Ameritrash at its very core which is a term you will start to hear a lot more about the games you've already been playing.

2. Cosmic Encounter

Cosmic Encounter is the first of the three pillars of modern Ameritrash games (the second pillar being Wiz-War). It is loads of fun to play, is well supported by the community and features a Doctor Who style sci-fi to boot. It's all about colonizing your opponents planets and playing silly alien powers. It is highly praised by one of the biggest names in Board-gaming, Tom Vassel.

3. Ghost Stories

Ghost Stories is a fantastic co-op game and arguably one of the most difficult. Don't be discouraged by the poorly written rules that come with the game. There are fantastic clarifications and revised rules on this site. Ghost Stories is about 4 monks defending a village from attacking Ghosts summoned by the terrible necromancer, Wu-Feng. It boasts some of the hardest challenges you will face in board-gaming with distinct difficulty settings to cater towards your abilities. Dice luck is mitigated by the tao tokens you acquire and the village tiles that you can use for special powers. It's loads of fun and made by the same guy who made 7 wonders, one of the most popular games on this site.

4. Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game

Finally, Dead of Winter is a spectacular co-op hybrid that features a traitor mechanic wrapped up in a post apocalyptic zombie ridden winter. The zombies may be harsh but the winter is harsher still and you'll have to manage food, morale, and other oddities to complete your games main objective. But like everyone surviving in a desolate wasteland, you have a hidden objective you are trying to complete. And sometimes, that hidden objective just might mean the Death or failure of your colony's survival.

-----------

All in all you are walking down the yellow brick road into emerald city with your game choices. I hope you enjoy many gaming nights with whatever you choose and the ones you've already chosen.

Also Mice and Mystics is on my wishlist as well so if you ever make it southern Missouri and want a game night, I'm down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG.

Thanks for your service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing Pete above:

pete belli wrote:
Welcome to BGG.

Thanks for your service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mitchell
United Kingdom
Islington
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek,
I play games with my wife and I have to agree about Elder Signs...enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark feldman
United States
post falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a man now, Sergeant. I'm a soldier in command of men. If you ever meet me when I'm just a man, you may have to use a little charity.
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/551/battle-cry ,https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10630/memoir-44 easy to learn and fun to play. also https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/61484/zombie-state-diplo... .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cheizmon
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks so much you all!! I'll definitely look into those suggestions!!! I've been researching a few of them already, such as ghost stories and Mansions of madness. As far as M.o.M.goes, does the tablet act a crutch or cause the game to run slower since you HAVE to use the app?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.