Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingofmusic1 wrote:
The game is Carcassone. We are playing with 5 players and 4 of the players are sharing a huge city (34 points), I have yet to join the city, and someone plays a tile to block me from the city and loudly boasts that "not everyone can be in the city". Clearly targeted me to lose out on the points.

I continued to play out the game knowing I'd never be able to come back from that point difference.

I was upset. Rightfully so?
You have every right to be upset. That's a common response to getting owned. And they have every right to laugh at you for getting upset upset. That's a common response after owning someone!

Pete (doesn't like to give opponents such satisfaction, but sometimes can't help it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Is Logically Impossible.
badge
Probability is expectation founded upon partial knowledge. A perfect acquaintance with all the circumstances affecting the occurrence of an event would change expectation into certainty, and leave nether room nor demand for a theory of probabilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
JRountrey wrote:
Pinook wrote:
Yes, you were rightfully upset.

Now a lot of people are going to deny this, wave their hands in the air, run in circles, scream and shout, try to mislead you into their own twisted way of looking at the world.

But I have The Big Book On How The Pie Is To Be Cut, and on page 136 it states, "You can choose when to be upset. Being upset is a choice that you can take whenever you choose to take it."

So you were rightfully upset.

I will transcribe a section from page 137 which seems tangentially related to your situation.
"You must accept total responsibility for every instance in which you get upset. The alternative is that you become a puppet of your tormentor, a victim of circumstance."

How funny is it that I searched for this book for my wife???... LMFAO!!!

And you wonder why you're not gettin' any...... <--- wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kingofmusic1 wrote:
tumorous wrote:
New users wander in to post random game complaints.

The Complaint Department is obviously too easy to find.

And what a way to alienate a "new user". Go back to your deluxe, big box version of whatever heavy game you play.

Allow me to transition this complaint about people who feel ownership in a public domain and dismiss the involvement of "new users".

But on the brighter side you're now part of an in-joke which basically vaults you to veteran status straight from new user. So use that sweet, sweet geekgold Matt tipped you to buy an avatar so we can recognize you, and welcome to the strange depths of the complaints forum.

(I don't think anybody came out and said this yet, but the complaints forum is generally for complaints about BGG itself. You don't get many complaints about specific gaming situations here, which is why you got some unexpected responses. But really, everyone here is pretty friendly. Except Darth Hugo. He's weird.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Turpin
Canada
Falmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem with the move. The comment however gives you the right to go out of your way to sink the player who made the comment. Block that guy until he thinks you are playing some kind of Jenga drinking game. You have nothing to lose as he pointed out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW I've played Carcassonne many times with many different people, and many times I've seen one person blocked out of a city, including cities which all the other players happened to share. It seems a perfectly normal reasonable move. Carcassonne is a competitive game, not a coop game, after all...

To me the complaint seems similar to:

Quote:
The game is Chess. My opponent makes a move threatening my king, and there's no way I can save my king.

I was upset. Rightfully so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
kingofmusic1 wrote:
Sure. But that decision ultimately only negatively affected 1 player and ruined that game experience for that player. Nothing was advantageous gained other than singling out a player.

would you have won if you were in that city? Did that player win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.