Popular Tags: [View All]
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

for some people on the geek, the normal mode is too easy. I am interested if this affects only a few hardcore gamers or if it is more widespread. Personally right now I play with small kids so I tend to choose EZ mode ;-)
(and I am loving it).

I know there is a hardcore mode that is unlocked once you finish, but you have to play through the game once to get to that point.

Quiz: Difficulty of Mechs vs Minions
How difficult is normal mode for you?
Too easy
Just about right
Too difficult
    388 answers
Quiz created by GrandKhan44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal opinion: normal mode is just right but I play with my son so we use EZ mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Clark
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normal mode is okay for the group I play it with. Some are hardcore players and some are not. About 50%

The hardcore players make up for the casual players. I have not made a full run-through yet, but would love to try expert mode with the hardcore players in the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, it's been pretty close to on point for me.

Normally, I like my co-op games to be hard, because the challenge is where the fun comes in. Nobody wants to play a game you never lose, or are never in danger of losing. The tension sells the game, and makes your choices important.

This game falls just outside of the normal spectrum, for me, though. The damage (and occasionally, the draft) is disruptive enough that it makes adapting to deal with the effects of damage a fun little puzzle, and I'm less interested in losing (and thus having to repeat missions) when there's a campaign with a narrative to advance. If the writing is good and the twists involved in new missions interesting enough, I'm eager to progress and see the new stuff, and that makes the next play interesting even if the risk of losing is less than I'd normally demand.

Finally, it also gives the game a more relaxed learning curve. I've found that I can play with a variety of friends -- from my sometimes-gamer brother, to my analytical step-brother, to my gaming-savant friend (and his seven-year-old prodigy of a daughter!), to my brain-burny strategy gamer friend and his more easy-going wife. Every single one of them has been delighted by the game, and that has a lot of value to me, especially when it's one that's rich enough to suck me in the way this has.

I will definitely look forward to seeing how hard mode shakes out -- I expect it will hit the spot once my drive to progress to see what's coming is sated, and I'll have to be a bit more selective with my fellow players to get ones that also enjoy the harder challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's been about right for us. We haven't lost yet, but we have only done the first 2 missions. First time we tried Mission 1 we completed it fairly quicklly and without the bomb taking any damage, but we also missed the escalation to add the timer. The second time my wife played, who is more casual, and she finds the game quite difficult especially at the start when you need to be precise with the few things you get to do each turn.

Mission 2 we completed, but we came very close to losing quite early because a minion slipped past my wife's mech and nearly reached the school. It would have lost us the game if we hadn't helped her decide how to defend, which was a bit 'alpha' of us but she appreciated the help while she was still trying to learn how to control her mech. We tried hard to avoid 'interfering' after that and she didn't really need it anyway as she finally 'clicked'.

So, I think the game probably is a bit too easy for a group of analytical gamers to find it challenging or rewarding, but for a mixed or casual group it is about right. Missions so far definitely seem like they can be lost if you make some bad decisions or get unlucky, and I don't even think we got to the harder missions yet.

I'm sure some missions also vary in difficulty with the number of players. The mechanisms seem to make the game scale pretty well but it will still scale with individual missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I have won each mission (albeit really closely, in some cases). She's really good at situational thinking, while I'm better with overall strategies.

I could imagine the game being easier after the first playthrough, since you know what awaits you ahead of time and have an idea of the optimal way to do things. Thankfully, there's the hardcore mode for that and two mechs we haven't played, otherwise, replayability might be an issue.

I could also imagine that the difficulty changes based on what group you are playing with, as well, since every player seems to prefer different cards. The wife always grabs ripsaw, mech stomp and scythe, while I gravitate towards fuel tank, memory core and skewer.

In general, I have a feeling it's "just right".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game to me feels exactly the correct difficulty for our group.

It's not a standalone co-op puzzle that you want to have to play multiple times before you finally beat it, but rather a story-driven experience that you're working through. I don't want that story to be delayed because it's taking 5+ attempts to beat each scenario, but rather I want just minor occasional hiccups mid-story.

So far we've failed mission 2 (twice) but beat missions 1 and 3 first time (the latter, very barely). It's a brilliant story we can't wait to keep getting to the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, why does this poll say that there is correct answer!

I think the game is fantastic...but still too easy. Scenarios always look challenging at first, but we always pull out the victory without too much stress. It's a fantastic game that could be better if it was just a little more difficult...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Hey, why does this poll say that there is correct answer!

Rookie mistake, I used a quiz instead of a poll and was forced to choose a "correct" answer ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weese
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife and I are 0-2 on the first Scenario. Not too easy for us cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two missions in with three players. We are 2-0. First mission ended up being really easy, but we got very lucky with the cards to push the bomb (didn't have to tow it). Second mission was more frantic but things worked out. Playing both on regular mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It feels easy so far (I voted too easy) but several have made the point that they don't want to lose a mission in a campaign game. I have to say I kind of do agree with that. I think I just want to feel slightly closer to losing than I have been so far, but we'll see how things ramp up in the next few missions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keene
msg tools
designer
Slightly too easy. We are (I think) 6 missions in and only came close to losing once. All the other missions have been pretty easy. We're playing with four people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederick Ernst
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a follow up question... how many of you all have played missions 6 through 10? Did you find them significantly harder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:
I have a follow up question... how many of you all have played missions 6 through 10? Did you find them significantly harder?

I have played mission 6-10 and yes, they are harder.

Spoilers for mission 6-10:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Lava tiles and spiked walls are welcomed addition to the game, making it slightly harder yet still fun.
Rune gates are more complex and we need to pay closer attention to which colour are active and which movement cards can bypass them. The game has started to become fiddly at this stage but still OK.
Rune gates + boss rune shields = too many information I need to track. Since I was playing with my 7 years old son, I had to take the responsibility for book keeping and that took away some of the casual fun I had on earlier missions.
Bomb + lava + rune gates = OMG. I hate this mission. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Christensen
United States
SLC
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPiddlesworth wrote:

For my GF and I(2 Yordles in total), the mission where you had to get the bomb ..... shaped power source.... to the 4th tile repair pad while the red/yellow die drops the bomb life, was the hardest. It took us 4 or 5 tries. It was a fun puzzle for us though. On the first two attempts, we did get the damage card that made us stop tracking minion kills nearly immediately, so we had ZERO schematics. I thought it was a fun enough difficulty ramp up through the entire game. I want to beat the hard mode now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.