Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Evolution» Forums » Rules

Subject: Replacing a trait with the same trait rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Pethybridge
Australia
flag msg tools
Can this be done.

In a game we just ayed a player replaced fat tissue with fat tissue in order to make more room for food.
By the rules we don't see a problem but thematically it doesn't feel right. Thoughts
Cheers
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
petho22 wrote:
By the rules we don't see a problem but thematically it doesn't feel right.

If getting points based on the amount of food consumed seems thematic to you--that is, that the amount of food consumed is the principal indicator of evolutionary success--then it makes sense that, in times of plenty, natural selection might favor an intermittently hyperactive metabolism which burns through accumulated fat and then bulks up new fat reserves as often as possible. This is what is simulated by replacing the fat tissue trait with the fat tissue trait.

(Thematically, though, the game should be called "Intelligent Design.")
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem at all, although I usually see it done with Carnivore replacing Carnivore so that people may think they are not in danger of being eaten anymore.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
(Thematically, though, the game should be called "Intelligent Design.")


Not if you play it with the Darwinian Selection rule card in effect. Whenever we play with more than 4 people, we usually do that. It speeds the game up considerably, plus the reveal of random mutations is fun and occasionally hilarious.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
If getting points based on the amount of food consumed seems thematic to you--that is, that the amount of food consumed is the principal indicator of evolutionary success-


I was informed by a professor of evolutionary biology at the University of Oxford that food is often used as a proxy for evolutionary success. That's probably why the original Russian biologist used it in his original classroom simulation (which turned into this game).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
If getting points based on the amount of food consumed seems thematic to you--that is, that the amount of food consumed is the principal indicator of evolutionary success-


I was informed by a professor of evolutionary biology at the University of Oxford that food is often used as a proxy for evolutionary success. That's probably why the original Russian biologist used it in his original classroom simulation (which turned into this game).

I evolved very successfully over the Christmas period.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.