Sanan Mahmudov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I am interested which word games do you play? Who are you playing with and do you really enjoy them?

P.S.
I am planning to publish my own game, it will be hex tile placement word game in 11 languages, so I appreciate all your feedback and answers in advance :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Scrabble, Zip-It and Bananagrams

All with my wife. We play Scrabble cooperatively - No scoring and with a dictionary.

Yes we enjoy all three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paperback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kochenower
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Length x Wit with my wife. I enjoy it, better than Scrabble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Cachia
United States
Springfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy some word games, don't really play them these days, but I would given the chance.

Love Boggle, grew up on Scrabble as well. I think Montage is awesome if you play it with the right foursome. I like Balderdash, Taboo, Password...

11 languages??? I'm having trouble picturing that, now you've piqued my curiosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to some of those mentioned, I also play Quiddler and Word on the Street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Rodrigues
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Crosswords count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Paperback too, which has nullified my need for any other word game. I am tempted to give Dexikon a shot, but I don't think my collection needs two word games. The first one just nails it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like word games quite a bit, however that isn't shared by lots in my group.

As well as Scrabble and a few of the other games already mentioned, I've played BuyWord, Montage, Prolix, Jarnac and a number of the card games with letters.

Not sure how the 11 languages thing will work - surely letter distribution is different from language to language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanan Mahmudov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinwho wrote:
I enjoy some word games, don't really play them these days, but I would given the chance.

Love Boggle, grew up on Scrabble as well. I think Montage is awesome if you play it with the right foursome. I like Balderdash, Taboo, Password...

11 languages??? I'm having trouble picturing that, now you've piqued my curiosity.

Yes, 11 languages - from English and German to Azerbaijani and Arabic. The letter distribution made to satisfy all requirements so that the number of A letter for example are enough to make it playable in English, Turkish, French, Spanish and German (Latin alphabet) and also in Russian (Cyrillic alphabet)

I hope you will be able to play it in upcoming 2-3 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Scrabble, best with a SamTimer. Occasionally I'll play Quiddler with my mom if we don't have time for Scrabble.

I'd like to play Paperback, Dexicon and others but my wife dislikes word games so I don't have a lot of opportunity.

GregDarcy wrote:
We play Scrabble cooperatively - No scoring and with a dictionary.

No offense, but that sounds absolutely dreadful. (But I dislike most cooperative games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Scrabble against the computer all the time.

IRL, we usually play it without keeping score. I also play Bananagrams, regular anagrams, Codenames, Boggle, and whatever kids games the littles want to play (they have a beginner reader's version of Spot It etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camu Lina
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrabble, yes. I really like it, BUT you have to play with a good opponent. A challenging one. I used to play it a lot with my mom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to really enjoy word games a lot. But, Scrabble and Words with Friends mostly killed them for me. In both games what tiles you play and where you play them are much more important that the words themselves.

Boggle tends to favor whoever has the larger vocabulary, but it's a pretty mediocre game. I don't know that I've ever had a fun time playing Boggle.

Roots: A Game of Inventing Words is an interesting game that utilizes prefixes and suffixes to invent words and makeup the definition. Unfortunately, the way rounds are won shifts the game to more of a meta game about blocking the winner, until there are multiple people in the winning position.

I own Unspeakable Words (Deluxe Edition), but haven't played it. Back when I Kickstarted it, it sounded like something that'd be fun to play with my group. Now, I have very little interest in playing it.

Given the opportunity, I'd play Paperback, but I currently don't have any motivation to purchase a copy having never played it.

A word game would have to be something amazing, for me to have any interest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Boggle, Big Boggle, and Super Big Boggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like paperback, boggle, upwords, scrabble, unspeakable words and bananagrams. Issue I have with most spelling games is there is usually a gap in skills when I play them. If I play with someone that is good at spelling and coming up with words they usually suck at strategy or if they are good at strategy they suck at spelling. Unspeakable words is probably the only one that doesn't come into play on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Palabra continues its reign as word game champion across multiple households in my extended family.

After that it's an even tie between Upwords and Quiddler depending on whether we want cards or tiles. No one will play Boggle with me any more because I always win but I think we all still enjoy it in theory.

Paperback has been more of a recent hit than Dexikon, mostly because it's a cleaner and more straightforward presentation. I actually prefer Dexikon because it's more of an exercise in vocabulary but Paperback is more of a "game".

Nab-It! and Dabble have had good runs in our house. Red Letter isn't great but it's unique enough for a few games and in the end you can use the "theme" cards for any other word game. Paperback did a great job of reminding us of these themed bonuses.

Never Scrabble. We've certainly given it many tries but I don't think we've ever had fun with it.

*edit* To more directly answer part of the question - yes, my family both plays and enjoys word games. Even with hundreds of hobby games I'd say word games make up at least 20% of my overall gaming time thanks to them being an easy sell with pretty much everyone in my extended family and social circle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sanchez
United States
chaska
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paperback and only paperback. Can't stand Scrabble, Boggle or any other word game I've ever played.

I guess codenames as well but I don't think that is what you mean by word game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Codenames is the only word game I have right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
I used to really enjoy word games a lot. But, Scrabble and Words with Friends mostly killed them for me. In both games what tiles you play and where you play them are much more important that the words themselves.

I still think Scrabble is misclassified - it's really more of an area control game than a word game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play a lot of word games but when I do it's usually Scrabble and I play it with my mom.

That said I backed Formal Ferret Games's newest game Wordsy, which is scheduled to deliver in June 2017, and I'm quite excited about that. I just wish Gil would try another KS campaign for Bad Medicine: Second Opinion so I could pick that up along with the core game. Incidentally, Bad Medicine is sort of a word game.

EDIT: Spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DuckOfDeath V
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always find it really odd when people naturally link together games like codenames, taboo, and time's up with games like paperback, scrabble and bananagrams under the word games umbrella. These seem like two fundamentally different groups of games, and I would only call the latter word games.

That being said, I do play word games. Paperback, Bananagrams, Quiddler mostly. My girlfriend is a big fan of word games so I try to steer her towards the better ones. I am big time anti Boggle and Scrabble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Devery
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JoeC0 wrote:
I always find it really odd when people naturally link together games like codenames, taboo, and time's up with games like paperback, scrabble and bananagrams under the word games umbrella. These seem like two fundamentally different groups of games, and I would only call the latter word games.

That being said, I do play word games. Paperback, Bananagrams, Quiddler mostly. My girlfriend is a big fan of word games so I try to steer her towards the better ones. I am big time anti Boggle and Scrabble.

Im curious as to why you wouldnt consider Codenames a word game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Asher
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Paperback, a few variations on Boggle, Codenames (although in general I think Codenames: Pictures is an improvement), Scrabble, Scattergories, and I regret picking up Xoom Cubes.

Among those, Codenames (in either flavor) is probably my favorite and is played with my regular board gaming group, or really any group of friends. Boggle gets played most frequently, typically with my wife and possibly our respective families.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.