England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can a vehicle perform any of the following while at speed 0?
A. Hairpin Turn
B. Turbo
c. Bootleg

2. Is Turbo allowed in reverse to boost you backwards?

3. Are combinations of Nitro, Turbo and Accelerate allowed for massive speed bursts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Stockinger
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Re:Rule querys
zombiegod (#25558),

From the FFG Official Message Board 1a and 2 are Yes.

Not official, but I would say Yes to 1b, 1c and 3. I think we can assume speed 0 is very slow, but not necessarily a complete stop. The game is desgined with "Hollywood" physics in mind, instead of thinking about real life when playing, think about car chases on TV, the battles in Mad Max, and how the cars act in the Twisted Metal video game series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hahn
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Techpriest (#25582),
Hollywood physics or not, I'd have to say no to the Bootleg and the hairpin turns. The whole idea behind those types of moves is that you have to have speed built up to slide the car around, whether it's drifting or bootlegging. Can't be done otherwise. I'd make it a house rule that you have to be doing at least Speed 2 to perform these moves. However, I may be making too much out of a dumbed-down miniature game.

Midian2000 (where the monsters still live)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midian2000 wrote:
The whole idea behind those types of moves is that you have to have speed built up to slide the car around, whether it's drifting or bootlegging. Can't be done otherwise. I'd make it a house rule that you have to be doing at least Speed 2 to perform these moves.

As the Steering phase is separate to moving I see no problem with the 0 speed movement issue. At speed 2 as a minimum requirement is too much, as even at speed 1 the vehicles are fast enough to hit obstacles, and are difficult to turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Stockinger
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
I can picture the turns being made by stomping on the gas, sliding the back where it needs to go and then stomping on the brake. The Bootleg would be more of a donut stopped mid-way if you get my drift. The turn would be accomplished without much ground covered. My current 2 cars are front wheel drive and I think you need rear wheel to pull this off. My old pickup lacks the guts to even make a noble attempt. Anybody with a muscle car want to report back on this? I am renting a Mustang next week when I am on vacation, maybe the V6 will have enough guts

It would make it harder for a car to sit in one spot and just turn and shoot people all the time, so it might be a very wise rule to add. Feel free to add a min to any of the movement cards if you want to encourage movement and discourage "camping".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod (#25702),

I've seen a guy drift into a parking spot in a (wet) parking lot. You don't need great speed. (Later the same guy drifted a Trueno* into a guard rail or something due to an oil slick, putting an end to his dream car.) But the bootlegger reverse calls to mind the day that I convinced a cousin to do it at fairly high speed in Car Wars ... the damage was so severe that even the side of the car opposite of the impact was damaged.

* Yes, same as in the anime Initial D (which now has a CCG). The guy was a fan of the show and had racing qualifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 2 games, both with different rulings regarding movement/speed 0.

The first game we allowed movement at 0 which went well. Very quick/smooth.

The second game with players having to have at least a speed of 1 on the acceleration dashboard before turning worked just as smoothly, it made players put a lot more thought into what 2 cards to play, and prolonged the game.

The physics of the vehicles felt a lot heavier and more realistic. If a gas can was just in front/right of a vehicle, from standstill the player had to perform the following moves:

Reverse Acceleration
Slow to 0

Forward Acceleration
Turn

2 whole Action Phases.

If a vehicle had been allowed to turn at 0 the vehicle could have picked up the can with:

Turn
Accelerate

1 Action Phase.

I would say the 0 turn is the better of the two for speedy games and to be used as the norm. But if you want to take it to another level of advancement then the speed to move rule is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.