Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Worthington
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

It seems we're the latest victims of the slightly confusing combat rules! We're just learning the game for the first time and have come across two rules which appear to conflict and I'm not sure what to do, and can't find anything that seems to bring clarity.

We're on our first naval combat of the game.

We've done our declaration and seamanship contest, and as it's the first round we're both shooting.

We each have 1 cannon and have both rolled 1 die accordingly to assign hit-locations and damage.

My opponent has rolled a 4, and I have rolled a skull & crossbones.

The rules state that we should "inflict the "number" hits first and then the [skull & crossbones] hits."

However, the rules also state at the end of this section that "Hits inflicted by two players the same round are inflicted simultaneously. A player therefore gets to inflict hits even if sunk, or if he/she loses any cannons."

My question is whether this simultaneous damage happens in our case, due to the former rule stating that number hits are inflicted first. I understand that if we'd both rolled numbers, the damage would be simultaneous, but just can't figure out how to read the rules on this particular scenario.

Does my cannon get destroyed by the "4" roll before I get to shoot back?

Some help would be greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's in reference to damage on the same ship.

You can't choose to assign a skull-and-crossbones damage first, which might then negate damage assigned by other dice (i.e. nothing left to damage).

In your case, with only one die of damage being applied to each ship, that rule does not come into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Worthington
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! This is what we'd assumed in the end but it's good to get clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen

You said you each had one cannon and rolled one die accordingly. You know that you roll your seamanship number of dice, not the number of cannon. The number of cannon is a limiting factor. For example, if you roll three hits but only have one cannon, you only inflict one hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteWorthington wrote:

My question is whether this simultaneous damage happens in our case, due to the former rule stating that number hits are inflicted first. I understand that if we'd both rolled numbers, the damage would be simultaneous, but just can't figure out how to read the rules on this particular scenario.

Does my cannon get destroyed by the "4" roll before I get to shoot back?

Some help would be greatly appreciated!

I think in this case the "priority" nature of the rolls is only so that the player can determine where to place his skull and crossbones hits.

In other words, get the determined information first, then assign that damage which is indeterminate.

I've had this issue come up when teaching others this game. I basically just tell them that their cannon balls crisscross each other in the air before hitting their targets. It's an imperfect visual, to be sure, but it helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.