Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to get rory story cubes to play with my daughter. I like the idea of big chunky dice which makes the Max version quite appealing. The one downside is that I also want to get the animal expansion and I don't know if the size difference would make it so that they become irrelevant.

Or maybe it would be a good thing that the primary cubes are differentiated from the secondary cubes?

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My advice is to keep them all the same size. That way, when you add more sets (which you most likely will), they will all 'fit' together seamlessly.

They are some of the nicest, easy-to-read dice made and feel good to the touch. Bigger is not always better. Storing them and selecting them from a bag is a much nicer experience when 9 of the dice in the bag of many are not ginormous.

These story cubes have grown with my daughter. She is now ten and likes for me to pick out 9 assorted dice from the bag and roll them. I store them in the hardsided case that came with the Rory's Story Cubes: Moomin set. Whenever she is feeling inspired or bored, she grabs the set and writes a detailed story with them. She has already completed three stories during Christmas break and is very proud of her work. So am I. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory O'Connor
United Kingdom
Belfast
Co. Antrim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@Justus, first off, thanks so much for sharing our game with your daughter.
As @paxdomina says, I think you will quickly find that there wont be a primary or secondary set for long. Especially if you add any more sets of Rory's Story Cubes to your collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@pax, thanks so much for the response, my apologies for missing it the first time around! I hope my girl grows up with some active creativity like yours!

@Rory, just wanted to say that I tried the game the other day at the boardgame cafe and my daughter loved having me tell her one story after another! I'm not any good at telling stories, but hopefully I'll get better before she gets wise to it....well at that point I'll have her tell me the stories.

For what it's worth, I ended up picking up a set of normal sized dice of the original set and I've ordered a set of the animals online. Lets see how much I can milk these twelve dice and we'll go from there!

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory O'Connor
United Kingdom
Belfast
Co. Antrim
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@justus, we're working on something that will open up a whole new world of storytelling for you and your daughter with Rory's Story Cubes. Keep an eye out in the run up to Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.