Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Worth It? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Schoonover
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'm hoping the Kickstarter will still be available around Feb. or March because I was planning on using some of my tax return money to get my hands on this game. It has sort of become like the "Holy Grail" of board games for me.

Question is...the price tag IS awfully steep. While I realize the models and other components are of incredibly high quality, and the game is supposed to be mind-blowing, is it really worth THAT kind of money?

If not, what are the odds of me waiting about 3-5 years and being able to find this MUCH cheaper at my local game store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, there is no plan to get the game at a game store. Of course, if someone bought retail lantern, can sell the game in their shop St $200+any margin, while stocks last.

About the ks, it will end in less than a week (closes jan 8). Hurry up to get a pledge if you want it in the safest way, or just pledge $5 and hope that you can add stuff after the campaign is closed (currently it has been stated that no pledge manager will be made to support this, but I wouldn't be so sure... I won't bet on it, though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter ends at the end of this week.

$250 is not that much for a game these days, especially for a miniatures game. For comparison, a 2000 point army for Warhammer will run you a few hundred, and then you need another person with an army to play.

Chances of finding it for less are essentially 0. The game won't be in normal distribution. In fact, you will most likely be looking at paying closer to $400+ after KS with very limited chances for any future discounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClaytonSCH wrote:
what are the odds of me waiting about 3-5 years and being able to find this MUCH cheaper at my local game store?

Something approaching zero. This is the cheapest you'll be able to get the game for at least 3-5 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Schoonover
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick responses, guys. Sadly, I won't have the money to kick start before this week is up. Some day, though....some day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, no game is worth what they're asking (awesome components aside).

I just know I'd never play it enough to warrant all the cash on it in one bulk time. 250 isn't "bad" for the base game. But if you want all the goodies, it starts adding up fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poots ideally wants to sell the game direct from his website, so, since he's using KS, we're seeing that he can't just use his direct sales to pay for all the miniatures that he wants to release. The steel molds for plastic miniatures are expensive, and KS is the best way for a small company to make many plastic miniatures at once, boardgame or otherwise.

Everything will be available in 4-5 years, so that's plenty of time for you to start or continue to practice painting miniatures. You may also find backers trading or selling off their games if they pledged before they researched.

And if we don't see another printing of KD:M on KS in five years, maybe Poots will KS his *next* KD project. No word of it yet, but Poots has plenty of time to tell us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

To the OP,

'Worth it?'

In my opinion, yes.

But be aware of what KD:M is.

Which is really hard to define, but I'll do it in generalities.

KD:M is an immersive, boardgame with RPG-like character progressive elements, with an indelible horror-death story-like theme, with incredibly centralized and stylized art, and a thoroughly hobby-enthused core.

The production quality is as of yet unparalleled and unmatched in the game-hobby community, or likely, the hobby community as a whole (going out on a limb with this statement, but I'll do it).

The surrounding community of criticisms ranges from the art being sexist over the female images, promoting a culture of violence, to the 'how come I can't get a copy' to the ' how come my copy hasn't got here yet', to 'how come Adam Poots doesn't come over to my house and consult with me personally' -- none of these I am willing to debate or comment any further on -- there are a ton of these threads here on BBG already, enjoy.

I am a backer of the previous KD:M K/S campaign. And this one, too.

I have the game and all the current expansions, and played through only fraction so far (time permitting). I have enjoyed the game play and certainly the replayabilty.

I have enjoyed the hobby aspect, because I enjoy putting little models together and then playing a game with them.

But I always have.

KD:M is not a break out and play game. But it is what it is, and I don't believe for a second it pretends to be anything else.

I also don't believe the makers of KD:M make it out to be some thing it isn't, either.

So is it worth it? I think it is, if you go into it eyes wide open, or shut, if you have the faith. (and obviously, open wallet -- ha, money joke there.)

I did both, and still do. (not the open wallet part, though)

Last point I'd like to make, you make a comment about 'Holy Grail' of a game.

Well, my Holy Grail was -- I got one -- a copy of 'Capes & Cowls'.

I paid what I thought was mind-blowing money for that, at the time. But I love it.

No one can tell you to buy or not to buy or tell you how the value of the money you earn can mean to you, but you can always do the best investigating you can about what you want to get.

I'm just offering my opinion for what it may (or mostly, may not, really) be, of any value to you.

I believe KD;M is value for the money, it will not be a 'retail get it later game'. Although there is a retailer pledge, but the retail cost will most likely double. It is a small business crafted hobby explore game with great depth, range, and replay-ablity.

Please look over the threads about with expansion to get, those are very helpful if you decide to get a copy.

Unless you want to wait 3 to 5 years from now and see if your FLGS has a copy.

Or for the next K/S, or if KD:M comes out in another edition.

All good options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
ClaytonSCH wrote:
Question is...the price tag IS awfully steep. While I realize the models and other components are of incredibly high quality, and the game is supposed to be mind-blowing, is it really worth THAT kind of money?

It really is astonishing that the first edition of the game sold out, has been played by thousands, maintains one of the highest ratings on BGG, led to one of the highest-funded campaigns ever on Kickstarter, and yet in all this time no one had thought to ask this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Berger
Israel
Kfar Saba
flag msg tools
KD:M!!!!!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: Yes!
Long answer: Yes! Very much worth it!

Now, for a serious answer:
If you ask only about the base game (and even better if you got a BF pledge) I think it's really worth the price now.
On the other hand, I could never say that a 1666USD game is worth it. No game. Period.

Yet, I went all in on gameplay stuff during the last KS, and It has become my favorite game.
And believe me, it is a hard thing for me to say as a euro gamer.
I'm planning on getting all new content on 1.5 and even a second copy of the core game.

Hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was told to give the game a look and Kingdom death is not my thing. There are other games that do similar things to this game , but this KD seems to tick more boxes.

Is it worth it? Yes , it is.
Reason?
War of the Ring Collector's Edition . Was totally worth it. Even with an off the shelf version in the shops.

Ask the Small World Designer Edition and Takenoko giant deluxe owners etc..
There are people who did not hesitate when this beast of a game hit Kickstarter .

From what I have seen and read this could be a rare quality legacy-ish game that you can actually restart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is totally worth it for the thousands of KDM fans who, like myself, actually love it (that 9.1 average BGG rating with 1.6K votes says it all). If it's your cup of tea, I will easily become the cheapest game in your collection, in terms of hours of AAA gameplay/hobby per euro spent. There is a chance that it doesn't appeal that much to you. But you'll need to spend a lot of time with it to make it worth your while.

I would go for a low tier pledge (core game or core game with gambler's chest) if you could afford that and think you might like the game. That alone will provide hundreds of hours of enjoyment. There will be time and good chances to grab expansions if you fancy in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is definitely bad advice BUT an option is to pledge with a credit card and pay for it after you get the tax return. You'll be shouldering about $50 for the fees for outstanding balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually Kickstarter requires a credit card anyway so to continue the awful advice if you just want the base game you could also pay off like $50 worth per paycheck. Much more manageable for some than $250 up front, 5 easy payments, etc. You just have to REALLY know yourself and your dedication to a schedule. If you can't absolutely stay strict with it, don't use credit that way. It's already playing with fire even if you're being safe about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's worth it if you are willing to commit a certain amount of time to it.
If you plan to play the game as much as your other games and if this means that it will be played twice a year, then it's probably not worth it.

If you plan to play this game dozens or hundreds of hours. More than any other game in your collection than yes, it's worth it.

It's only worth the attention you are willing to give to the game.
Some games are meant to be played 20 hours at most before they get old.
This game has been designed to last a very long time. If you play it 20 hours, you just scratched the surface. Let alone the addition of the old and new expansions.

So, it's value is really up to the use you will make of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.