Subject: Camels question from new player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Iwanczuk

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

My wife and I just started playing Jaipur last night. I don't know how often this happens, but every opening hand I had no camels to form a herd. My wife and I figured if I have no camels, how could I bring anything to market? Is this too strict an interpretation of the rules? Later in the game we also figured I couldn't exchange all the camels in my herd for goods in the marketplace by the same logic. Can someone explain if you need camels to trade or not? I found a lot of information about camels, but no one seems to have asked this question. Any help will be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,

Adrian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you might want to reread the rules and not add any extra "logic". You never "need" any camels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely go back and check the rules from scratch. Camels are a way to get many goods at once. You can always just take one card from the market and refill it from the top of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only need camels if you're taking more than 1 good at a time, and even then you can use other goods from your hand rather than camels.

Also, if you start with no camels, as your action, you can take all the camels in the market to make your herd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think the OP was trying to make the theme matter. That's why he said he thought he needed the camels to take goods to the market and sell them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you don't get any camels which sometimes happens (if you shuffle really good) you still exchange one for one or pick one card for free to get the next card in the deck.

My wife and I love this game, along with Splendor and play it at least twice every weekend.

We are evenly matched too. Just about every game it comes down to the final round too. This past weekend I lost by just 1 point. Damn camels gave her the win.

The thing with camels, if you pick them up you give your opponent a free flop. If they have a lot of cards in their hand it probably is not as bad.

I have been looking closely now at Duel: 7 Wonders. It looks like it might be a good couples game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RMB1013 wrote:
Even if you don't get any camels which sometimes happens (if you shuffle really good) you still exchange one for one or pick one card for free to get the next card in the deck.

My wife and I love this game, along with Splendor and play it at least twice every weekend.

We are evenly matched too. Just about every game it comes down to the final round too. This past weekend I lost by just 1 point. Damn camels gave her the win.

The thing with camels, if you pick them up you give your opponent a free flop. If they have a lot of cards in their hand it probably is not as bad.

You're played this a lot more than I have, but I think that depending on the stage of the game (and the contents of the draw deck), a free flop is pretty valuable because of the potential to stack the Rubies and Gold cards, even if you have 7 cards in your hand.

RMB1013 wrote:

I have been looking closely now at Duel: 7 Wonders. It looks like it might be a good couples game.

Definitely get 7 Wonders Duel. Its an awesome 2 player game.. LOVE IT!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say in your turn you just picked up a fifth spice to go into your hand, and you have another pair. And now you get the flop. Even if gold or silver show up, would you break up the pair to grab a gold an silver. I find the bonus chips (especially for 4 or 5 of a good) can give you a lot of points.

I guess it depends on the circumstances.

Thanks.
I will get the Duel game for our next game purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iwanczuk

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you to everyone that responded. I didn't see until tonight anyone had. I guess my wife and I were reading too deeply into the rules. I appreciate the clarification though.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spider Jerusalem
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RMB1013 wrote:
Even if you don't get any camels which sometimes happens (if you shuffle really good) you still exchange one for one

Important correction here: you can't exchange one for one. The rules explicitly state that an exchange always involves at least 2 cards for 2 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Burns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. You can only get a the card from the deck if you pick up one from the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.