J M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Review on Robinson Crusoe the board game

All I can say is WOW!

I love everything Survival, so this was the perfect Christmas present from my Dad. The setup is amazing with all the determination tokens along with all the other thousands of things, including food, wood and non-perishable food.

My favourite scenario has to be Castaways. My favourite part of Castaways is the hunting. If I had to be honest my favourite animal to hunt is the Tiger. I mean who wouldn't want to hunt a tiger with your strength on ten?! (Or over).(me).

I get super and I mean super jealous when I see Bear Grylls Surviving in Alabama or Texas or some other extreme place on earth. This is going to sound crazy but I want to be put on a deserted island, in the middle of nowhere, in a Survival situation.So playing Robinson Crusoe makes me even more jealous, but in a good way.

To be honest Robinson Crusoe is SO hard to set up, but half as easy to actually play. As I was the “Soldier”, I was the one who went hunting when meanwhile my Dad the “Explorer” was actually building things like a knife, bow and arrow ( which he made for me to help me with my hunting which was extremely kind!! ). When I was the one who did most of the exploring with “Friday”, just to “guarantee” it and I also took Friday hunting with me, once again to “guarantee”.

I'm only aged 10 but I play 14 pluses, and 13 pluses e.g: K2 which is once again a Survival themed game with lots of climbing hence K2. And also lots of adventure is thrown into K2!

I definitely recommend this board game to people who are looking for a Christmas present for their son , who looks up to Bear Grylls or Ray Mears. And is also looking for a game with lots of adventure / Survival.

• [+] Dice rolls
R.S. Barker
United States
New Philadelphia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to read a review from someone who is really excited to play the game and experience what it must feel like to be Robinson Crusoe.

I too felt that excitement after watching Ricky Royal's video playthrough of this fantastic game, and when I played Castaway scenario, the intrigue and decisions were spot on and made me feel the pressure.

Then I won and I felt like Tom Hanks standing in front of that buffet staring at all the food...

Thanks for posting !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Great review! I've got a couple plays of the castaway scenario done (3 plays 1 win) and I'm really looking forward to playing the rest of the scenarios. Volcano Island looks the most exciting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
well done Dad ! Sounds like you gave your son a great experience arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Alder
United Kingdom

Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed reading your review and you clearly have buckets of enthusiasm for the game. I also like playing the Castaways scenario and find I can become lost in the game whilst playing my way through the various random events and encounters.

I hope you continue to play and grow your like for boardgames. Have some Geek Gold to help you continue your adventuring :-)

Happy Gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
when I see Bear Grylls Surviving in Alabama or Texas or some other extreme place on earth.

Having experienced those states, I would concur that Alabama and Texas are indeed extreme environments worthy of survival cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Joseph
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delith Malistar
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I'd say you get to upgrade your Dad Card. Maybe get it bronzed. From this review, it's pretty obvious what your son thinks of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
I admire the style. Bravo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've always thought of Alabama and Texas as foreign countries devil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youren
United States
Lincoln City
OR
flag msg tools
badge
Doing what's right isn't always easy but it's always right.
mbmbmbmbmb
Super review! You are so lucky to have one another to share experiences like this (or any other for that matter). Good on 'ya, both. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claire Pettigrew
msg tools
Thanks for the review. I'm really into survivalism too, so I think we have similar tastes. I'll look into K2, are there any other boardgames with a survival theme that you'd recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Aguirre
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great review, JM. I too love this game but I've only managed to lose! My 12 year old son and I are getting ready for a good coop game this weekend, see how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.