Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played Troyes yet; I'm still waiting for that boat to arrive. You really can't go wrong with the other 3 in my opinion. They are excellent games. I suppose what matters is what you want out of the game. Orleans and Trajan have limited Player interaction and both play well at 2 for us. Caylus has more player interaction and also plays well at 2.

If I had to pick only one of those 3 I suppose that I would pick Caylus, but I really hope that no one forces me to make that decision. I suspect that after I play Troyes I will feel the same. They can pull all of those games from my kung fu grip if they want to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of these games!

Personally I would rank them in this order for myself:

Troyes
Caylus
Trajan
Orleans

This is not to say that Orleans is a bad game, I just happen to like all four of these games!

I will note though that Troyes and Caylus are harsher and less forgiving of mistakes than Trajan or Orleans. I happen to prefer this characteristic in a game, so I have them rated higher than Trajan and Orleans.

If you prefer a more relaxing game then Orleans is a good pick.

Trajan is quite sandboxy and presents plenty of options, and the mancala action selection is a pleasingly brain-burny experience if you like that sort of thing.

Caylus is one of the first worker placement games, and a cutthroat, brutal experience. It is quite brilliant though.

Troyes is tough to explain and teach because there's so many moving parts. But I love everything about it, from the dice drafting to the tough decisions to the variable end game scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very few euros coming out these days can hold a candle to Caylus. Much to explore in that one.

Orleans is the weakest of the bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
-xXx- wrote:
Which is the most fun (2-3P) ?

What is 'fun' in this context?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When asked I tend to put Caylus at the top of my list, but in terms of what I'd be most excited to play, combined with what I think is the most innovative:

1. Trajan
2. Troyes
3. Caylus
23. Orleans

Orleans isn't even in the same ballpark with the top three games.

Troyes is probably the most innovative overall, but the divisional thinking doesn't go over well with everybody (lots of mental division gets called upon. Anti math types need not apply, though the calculations are generally pretty simple).

Trajan beats it out, personally, due to the Mancala mini-game, which I find a fun personal puzzle.

Orleans is ok. I own all four. However, only reason I will ever play Orleans again is for the Invasion scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools

'Fun' like in 'excitement' and perhaps 'laughter'.

You play 'for fun' vs you play 'to win'.

Fun is playing 'in relation to/with' people rather than playing 'multiplayer solitair'.

Fun is enjoying a gaming experience, rather than enjoying an intricate game mechanic or a system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
-xXx- wrote:

Well then, that's simple: none of these games meets your requirement, especially in light of the fourth eludication Fun is enjoying a gaming experience, rather than enjoying an intricate game mechanic or a system because these games are not about this experience. They are about working as hard as you can to milk more VPs out of the whole than the competition. They mean gaming business; they do not mean entertainment business.

Quote:

That's a false dichotomy you would do well to abandon, even in the privacy of your own mind. Playing to win creates its own set of emotions which can be just as much fun to work out and pull off successfully as simply rummaging about 'for fun'.

Quote:
Fun is playing 'in relation to/with' people rather than playing 'multiplayer solitair'.

I find it difficult to compare levels of interaction here. There are considerable 'engines' at work behind the places where players meet each other, and especially in case of 2P there is lots of game estate left unoccupied where players can escape into to do their own thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Fun is enjoying a gaming experience, rather than enjoying an intricate game mechanic or a system.

Mmm...Euro's may not be what you want.. Look at some good old Ameritrash!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
-
flag msg tools
Tariff wrote:
Quote:

So you're saying euro's aren't fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-xXx- wrote:
Tariff wrote:
Quote:

So you're saying euro's aren't fun.

Not in the sense that you are describing.

If you define 'fun' a bit differently, then yes, euros can be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sal conz
Panama
flag msg tools
-xXx- wrote:

These games are tense brain burners. I find them all extremely fun. But looking at your criteria (things people usually say when criticizing Euro games) then perhaps these games are not for you - especially Trajan (which is my favorite of them all).

By the way - your second criteria is very vague. To get the most out of ANY game,one should find the more fun in playing rather than winning alone. That is just good gaming ethos.

People who love to delve into intricate mechanics gravitate to Euros. Just how social they are is another topic on it's own. But you sound like you should just look for a social party game. Don't spend $60 on a Euro game just because it is highly rated, hoping for that social party game experience. I promise you will be disappointed. Then you will give it a trash review on BGG or Amazon . J/K. But there are plenty of people who do that. Or they complain that the rules are too difficult to understand because they tried to figure it out at the gaming table together with everyone after a few drinks. They thought they could call learn it in 20 minutes and they get extremely frustrated that they can't.

Maybe you would like Sheriff of Nottingham. I am not saying that condescendingly. I love playing that game too. It is just a very different game and provides a very different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes and Caylus are two of the best games ever on my list. But both are intense, interactive, and cutthroat - that's what I really like in a game. I'm not sure that's a good match for the OP's criteria of fun, but they're a blast to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nilsson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't played Caylus of these.

A bit of anti-Orleans sentiment on here! It's not as heavy as the other 3 from my understanding but it's still fantastic.

For me I would go:

1. Troyes
2. Orleans
3. Trajan

I've only played Troyes once but it made a very good first impression. I really really like Orleans. It's not as deep a game but it plays exceptionally well and I personally have gotten a bit more variety out of it with both expansions. I really like Trajan as well but there are other Feld games that I prefer a bit more, and I would play Troyes or Orleans over Trajan given the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.