Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sascha Heib
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi there,

I'm new to miniature painting and very excited to get my hands on the KDM miniatures. I've read alot about painting miniatures and watched many youtube videos. When it gets to colors, it almost comes down to personal preference.

I've decided to get Vallejo Colors and Citadel Shades. Which colors are must have? Almost every video i watched used Nuln Oil, Reikland Fleshshade and / or Agrax Earthshade to wash, so these 3 are definately on my buying list. But what about basic colors from vallejo? I want to paint the miniatures as close as possible to the artworks, so i guess, i'll have to get a lot of colors down the road.

But for the beginning, i'm looking for skintones and white / brown / yellow colors for the white lion and the cloths. Also, a blood-red is needed.

Will Vallejo suffice? Game or Model Color for beginners? Which colors?

I'm looking forward to your help.

Thanks so much in advance

Best regards,
Sascha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of models, so lots of colors to get. As you said yourself, the citadel washes are great. If you want blood (you mention blood-red) there is the khorne blood technical paint from citadel as well, which is awesome. Just make sure to apply it after the varnish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Curtz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I believe Vallejo Game and Model colors are the same paint (or at least almost the same) just in different color ranges. Game colors are designed to match the GW offerings and model colors are for matching real world military designs.

A nice thing about painting KD:M is almost all of the materials are natural so you can mix together custom colors as much as you want and not worry about replicating exactly the same shade later on. I think you're on the right trail with the starting colors you've listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
Most important are black and white.
You also need at least one tone of every color you want to use.
You can mix them with white or black to get different shades.
Of course it becomes easier if you have more shades of a color.
I like to have at least 2 shades of each color (3 shades if I use a color very often).
I think very important are colors for the skin, metalic-colors, at least one bone-color and different shades of grey.
The rest depends on your taste.
Don´t make the mistake to buy to many colors at the beginning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up the two Reaper Learn to Paint Kits. If you can't get them locally, Reaper has a year-long promotion, where you get a free miniature with $40 purchase. Scroll about 1/3 down. : http://www.reapermini.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kingery
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Vallejo Game and Model color are very different.

Game Color was designed with gaming (lots of handeling of the figures). This line has a harder resin in the paint that helps it last. It was meant to copy the GW paint line (brighter colors).

Model Color was their first line made for Military models. This line was designed with more historical colors in mind. While still a sizing colors and paints it does not have as hard of a resin in the paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Heib
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you all very much. I guess, i'll pick up the two Reaper Kits first to try stuff out and get the basic skills until KDM comes out in summer. Then i'll switch to Vallejo Game Color and Citadel Washes. Thanks for the blood-red recommendation, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.