Twilight Struggle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Noob theory/question ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Scovell
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
... if you want to win the game as USSR, you basically need to do it before 1979 and the arrival of Reagan and Maggie ... ?

Follow-up question: why did the game designers make Glasnost a red-star card? (I hope this question can be discussed within the parameters of the game without it having to be taken to the Politics, Sex and Religion forum.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robscovell wrote:

Follow-up question: why did the game designers make Glasnost a red-star card? (I hope this question can be discussed within the parameters of the game without it having to be taken to the Politics, Sex and Religion forum.)

I assume because it was an initiative of the Soviet Government.

Although it is an interesting question, since 5-year Plan is a blue event on grounds of its historical consequences. Then again, playing 5-year Plan is not always favorable to the US within the game, which I always assumed was intentional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
robscovell wrote:
... if you want to win the game as USSR, you basically need to do it before 1979 and the arrival of Reagan and Maggie ... ?

Generally, yes the balance of power shifts from USSR to US as the game progresses but I've won plenty of late/final scoring victories as the USSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robscovell wrote:

I feel that Glastnost is a USSR event because, when it was first announced by the Soviet Government the world opinion of the USSR improved as they were seen as becoming less restrictive.

I always felt the victory points reflected world opinion of the Superpowers.

Just my view on that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Despite being a USSR card it is often useful for the US- pay 2VP for ABM treaty pre-Reformer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
robscovell wrote:

Disagree. The early war favors the USSR and the mid war favors the USA. The late war is roughly equal. Even if you're behind in points and/or board position at beginning of the late war, Soviets can often come back and win it with a bit of luck and skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't exactly have to win. But you have to establish some kind of position early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
robscovell wrote:

I assume because it was an initiative of the Soviet Government.

Although it is an interesting question, since 5-year Plan is a blue event on grounds of its historical consequences. Then again, playing 5-year Plan is not always favorable to the US within the game, which I always assumed was intentional.

It can be favorable to the soviets if executed juuuust right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kbclac wrote:
robscovell wrote:

I feel that Glastnost is a USSR event because, when it was first announced by the Soviet Government the world opinion of the USSR improved as they were seen as becoming less restrictive.

I always felt the victory points reflected world opinion of the Superpowers.

Just my view on that card.

That's how I view it too. TS is not a war-game in the sense of trying to conquer countries with armies, but instead swaying opinions to your side.

It's not that the US controls the UK and Australia at the start of the game, it's just that those country's governments totally supported the US vs the USSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.