Hide
10 Posts

Conan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Support ability questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Sdrakas
msg tools
Hey just had a couple questions about Support.

So we played lastnight and I was OL, I had Zaporavo and a captain on one area with a couple pirates with them. Zap and the captain both have the support ability, so I'm wondering if that ability stacks and the Pirates would get two chances to re roll their attack and defence rolls? And I was also wondering if I had to pay any gems to activates these rerolls, or are they free reroll actions? Can anyone answer these?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Williamson
United States
Bloomfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inferred from the rules, you can only reroll each die once. But Zaparovo and the captain are affected by each other's ability and would get rerolls as well.

They are free rerolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Sdrakas
msg tools
Ah! Your right! I now remember reading that you can only reroll a die once. Thank you for giving my brain a kick. And thanks for letting me know that are free rerolls

This was our second game so we are still learning all the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SmallRealities wrote:
Inferred from the rules, you can only reroll each die once. But Zaparovo and the captain are affected by each other's ability and would get rerolls as well.

There was an old thread by Pallantides which clarified that a Support reroll is in addition to the "one reroll" rule. i.e. "one reroll" limit applies to the symbol on the die, not to effects provided by other means. (i apologize for not searching for/linking to that thread here - it was back in October or November, but i clearly remember it because i had a problem accepting it in conjunction with the "one reroll" limit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

There was an old thread by Pallantides which clarified that a Support reroll is in addition to the "one reroll" rule. i.e. "one reroll" limit applies to the symbol on the die, not to effects provided by other means. (i apologize for not searching for/linking to that thread here - it was back in October or November, but i clearly remember it because i had a problem accepting it in conjunction with the "one reroll" limit).

If a unit (like Pict Hunters) has 2 yellow re-rollable dice that means each die can be re-rolled once for free (but its' not a definitive limit to re-roll dice).
If someone's got the "support skill" on the same area than the pict hunters, you can re-roll 1 yellow die chosen between the 2 already rolled, even if you've done your free re-rolls.

Ex : I do a melee attack with a pict hunter, I'm throwing 2 yellow dice and obtain : 2 and 0.
I decide to keep the 2 and make a free-reroll with the 0. I obtain 0. If my pict is alone on the area I can only pay gems to do other re-rolls.
But, if an ally with the "support skill" is on the same area, I can re-roll one die of my choice for free. So I can re-roll another time the 0.

Support is not a useless skill, but a powerful one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Williamson
United States
Bloomfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for that clarification. It does make support much more powerful (and useful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Sdrakas
msg tools
After reading the other replies on this thread I got confused so I took a look at the rules again and nowhere does it state that you can only reroll a dice once. If fact it states that you can reroll as many times as you want as long as you have gems to spend. Thank you Pallantides and sgbeal for clearing the air.
Indeed support is very powerful when 2 characters have it in the same area.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sdrakula wrote:
After reading the other replies on this thread I got confused so I took a look at the rules again and nowhere does it state that you can only reroll a dice once.

Free rerolls (provided by symbols on the dice) are limited to once per die. Heroes' Book, page 5, see the Shevatas example in the middle of the page.

But yes:

Sdrakula wrote:
If fact it states that you can reroll as many times as you want as long as you have gems to spend.

Gems can always be spent to reroll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Sdrakas
msg tools
Ah excellent! Thank you for the further clarification! Love this community

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sdrakula wrote:
Ah excellent! Thank you for the further clarification! Love this community

The case where the "one free reroll" becomes important is, e.g....

You have 3 yellow dice, 2 of which have a reroll symbol. You roll all 3 dice. You have 2 free rerolls to spend on ANY of those three like-colored dice (you do NOT have specify "these 2 are the rerollable ones and this one is not"). However, you can only free-reroll each of those dice one time. So you roll all 3 dice, roll 1 blank and 2x two successes. The blank die can only be free-rerolled one time, despite having (across all the dice) 2 free rerolls. You may, however, continue to use gems to keep rerolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.