Subject: First run-thorugh - SPOILERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Although we have played deck builders before, we opted to play from Game 1 rather than starting from 3 as suggested, so we would get the full experience. Four players playing the same character each time in the same order: Neville, Ron, Hermione, Harry. Different starter each time.

Game 1
Easy, finished quickly. Opted to play the second game right after since we had loads of time left.

Game 2
More difficult, got through to the last location card before winning.

Game 3
Super easy. Must have been a lucky deal or something because we had no trouble winning at all, didn't even get off the first location card.

Game 4
The dice were a surprise. With the size of the box I was expecting a whole new set of starting cards, so a little disappointed by that, but yay for dice. By far the toughest game so far, only just scraped a win.

Game 5
After not even a whole round, we had lost the first location, everyone had been stunned, and there was no way anyone could afford any of the Hogwarts cards. We called it quits right here, Bellatrix is far too strong this early in the game. Second go - much better selection of Hogwarts cards, Bellatrix didn't come out until later when we were powered up enough to heal a bit. Stayed on the first location the whole game and won. Massive amounts of damage were coming out of each player by the end.

Game 6
Still tough, almost lost the first location a few times, but sticking on it seems to be the key to winning the game since when you are drawing more Dark Arts cards it gets so much harder. Got to the second location in the end but won.

Game 7
The big one. The game takes forever with so many villains to kill, in addition to all the Horcrux. Got some nice synergy with the proficiencies (Neville gets bonuses from healing, and gets most of the healing based cards, Ron get bonuses from attacking, so gets attacking cards and extra attacks given by other players, Hermione gets spells, Harry chose to go for dice rerolls which were great for defeating the Horcruxes)

After
Had lots of fun, not sure yet how we will play in the future. I would like a way of evening out the luck a bit, seemed like far too many stacking damages if you got an unlucky sequence of Dark Arts cards. Hogwarts cards can often get bogged up with high cost cards that few can afford.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Brownell
United States
Twin Oaks
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and a friend played through the whole run recently, him as Neville and me as Potter (and we argued throughout the game over who The Chosen One really was).

I settled in early on as a the damage guy, while he made sure we could heal and have extra card draws. We only lost one game (Game 6), and that was because we started with Greyback as one of the initial villains AND got Bellatrix right after losing the first location, so we were drawing three Dark Arts cards at a time.

Starting with our second go at Game 6, I took Transfiguration and kept nuking the bad guys by pulling Viktor Krum out of my deck all for the low, low cost of Chocolate Frogs.

Game 7, I kept Transfiguration and Neville took Arithmancy, and he focused on destroying Horcruxes while I manhandled the villains.

One thing that stood out to me is the (lack of) trashing cards, and the number of negative effects that could pile on if you COULD remove your starter cards from your deck. Its an impressive piece of design, though, and does a great job of walking someone up from never playing a Deck Builder to playing with all kinds of stuff going on (I'm used to it, myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i noticed the lack of trashing cards, but i also think if trashing cards existed, there should be far less card draw. in this case i feel the card draw makes up for the lack of trashing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you give me a time estimate on your total playtime? My wife and I did books 1-7 and took 10 total hours (game 7 took 3 hours alone).

Both of us have played many hours of DC Deckbuilder. It was nice to not be fighting each other and instead work together. We found the game to be relatively simple, especially when we realized which Villains were cappy to have out and which were easily ignored.

In Book 7 we decided to focus on keeping villains that didn't have strong powers damaged to 1 short of dead, and taking out horcruxes. When Voldemort reared his ugly head we only had one roll left to beat Nagini and were able to beat her after one round, allowing both of us to focus on Voldemort with no distractions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess that they took about an avergae of 2 hours to play, with each longer than the last. This was with four players, two of whom are 10 and 8 years old.

I expect it to be much faster with two players, since you power up your decks much more quickly rather than having to wait for an extra two players to go before your turn. Plus, no kids would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players?

Which heroes and in which play order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
How many players?

Which heroes and in which play order?

I added it above, although I'm not sure how useful it really is without a ton of other information that I don't remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Game 5
After not even a whole round, we had lost the first location, everyone had been stunned, and there was no way anyone could afford any of the Hogwarts cards. We called it quits right here, Bellatrix is far too strong this early in the game. Second go - much better selection of Hogwarts cards, Bellatrix didn't come out until later when we were powered up enough to heal a bit. Stayed on the first location the whole game and won. Massive amounts of damage were coming out of each player by the end.

Isn't Bellatrix supposed to appear in game 6 ? IIRC she was in my Game 6 box !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have mixed up game 5 and 6, we played them both on the same day and the first appearance of Bellatrix meant we had another go, so almost three in one day really.

Is there supposed to be a divider for the Horcrux cards? I'm not sure where to put them now, at the moment they are just put behind a divider for other cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Hipkiss
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:

Is there supposed to be a divider for the Horcrux cards? I'm not sure where to put them now, at the moment they are just put behind a divider for other cards.

I was wondering about this, and was concerned I was missing a divider. It's not a big deal, but it would have been nice if they had put one in the Game 7 box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.