Subject: Changes to the die roll you have to get to catch Pokémon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo C. Ponze
Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
flag msg tools
So I decided to start playing again with this little gem that I got for Christmas 15 years ago and found there are many improved rules and an expansion even to this game. I liked the improved rules from Old Man Lucy the best with the Gym Leaders Expansion from Deikkan (both available in the Files section).

What I did not find, however, were changes to the die rolls you have to get in order to catch Pokémon. I never liked the official rules for that because you have to use your Great/Ultra/Master balls before rolling the die, and both the Ultra ball and the Master ball only add to the roll (you can't substract), so when you got the maximum number needed or anything higher, you didn't catch the Pokémon and wasted a valuable item. This also made the Great ball (that adds or substracts 1) actually better than the other balls most of the time (except with top tier Pokémon), which didn't make any sense.

The changes I made are really simple. Instead of having to get some exact numbers on the die, there's a threshold you have to achieve. So:

Instead of rolling 3, 4 or 5 for Pink Pokémon, you have to get a 4 or higher.
Instead of rolling 4 or 5 for Green Pokémon, you have to get a 5 or higher.
Instead of rolling 3 or 4 for Blue Pokémon, you have to get a 6 or higher.
Instead of rolling a 5 for Red Pokémon, you have to get a 7 or higher.
Instead of rolling a 6 for Yellow Pokémon, you have to get a 7 or higher.

I have some probabilities tables if anyone is interested in how the old rules worked and how my rules work, but basically now Master Ball is always better than Ultra Ball which, in order, is always better than Great Ball, in all cases.

What do you think? Any feedback is appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Smith
United States
Huntsville
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see the probability table if you still had it on you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo C. Ponze
Peru
Arequipa
Arequipa
flag msg tools
After a quick search, I found the original file I made . These are the probabilities of catching Pokémon in terms of how many faces on a 6-sided die you can get and catch a Pokémon in that specific "tier" (color).

"R" means "Regular", just rolling 1d6 with no modifiers. GB is Great Ball (+1 to the die roll), UB is Ultra Ball (+2), and MB is Master Ball (+4).

Old Rules

R ---- GB -- UB -- MB
3/6 - 5/6 - 4/6 - 4/6
2/6 - 4/6 - 3/6 - 4/6
2/6 - 4/6 - 3/6 - 3/6
1/6 - 2/6 - 2/6 - 4/6
1/6 - 1/6 - 2/6 - 4/6

New Rules (4+ / 5+ / 6+ / 7+ / 7+)

R ---- GB -- UB -- MB
3/6 - 4/6 - 5/6 - 6/6
2/6 - 3/6 - 4/6 - 6/6
1/6 - 2/6 - 3/6 - 5/6
0/6 - 1/6 - 2/6 - 4/6
0/6 - 1/6 - 2/6 - 4/6

After playing with this variant, I found it was too hard to catch Blue Pokémon without an Ultra Ball or a Master Ball, and without a Master Ball it wasn't worth it to try and catch a Red or Yellow Pokémon (and you don't even have a chance with just the die!). So now I would suggest decreasing the threshold by 1 in every Tier, except for Yellow Pokémon (those are supposed to be really hard to catch).

So the new probability table with the new new rules (3+/ 4+/ 5+/ 6+/ 7+) looks like this:

R ---- GB -- UB -- MB
4/6 - 5/6 - 6/6 - 6/6
3/6 - 4/6 - 5/6 - 6/6
2/6 - 3/6 - 4/6 - 6/6
1/6 - 2/6 - 3/6 - 5/6
0/6 - 1/6 - 2/6 - 4/6

This table looks much nicer in my opinion. You have a fair chance with only a Great Ball at any level except Yellow, and a Master Ball almost always guarantees you'll catch the Pokémon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Smith
United States
Huntsville
Texas (TX)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much!! I'm a numbers guy and I was interested to see what the stats would be behind the roll. Just tried playing the game with its basic rules and then the game with the gym leader expansion plus your new new rolls, and it's more fun and really quite long, which I expect out of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.