Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played Mega-Civ twice now - once each time over the Xmas break - with about 12 players each time. Most of the group all played Advanced Civilization (& Civilization) quite a bit, but many years ago.

Many of us seemed to recall that we bought Civilization Advancements before resolving calamities, which potentially allowed the player some degree of additional calamity mitigation. It was especially useful for Civil War, but many others - Famine, Epidemics.

Are our memories just hazy, and our house rule became fixed in our memories - or did it previously work that way? And if so, why was it changed?

Secondly, how have play groups avoided the "give me all your calamities" during trading once a player has already acquired a couple of others? I tried asking players not to do this, but it was difficult to enforce - and many lapsed back into it because we allowed it during our first play last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The order changed from Civ to Advanced Civ -- Mega Civ follows the latter.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, in Civilization you could buy advancements before resolving calamities, but Advanced Civilization changed the order around. I remember because pottery required you to have grain to protect from famine, and the change in the turn order had the odd side effect of making you save your grain until the following turn.

As I understand it, the order was changed because the addition of new advances in AdvCiv made it easier than ever to avoid the calamity effects, and it was felt to be a cheap play to simply buy the cards that were just about to help you. The new order requires you to plan ahead, and to gamble on the odds that you'll ever get hit with a particular calamity.

The damage from calamities is an important element of the game, and avoiding it easily makes the game less of a challenge and less competitive in the end.

For your second question, the MegaCiv rules say that you aren't allowed to mention calamities while negotiating a trade, and they can't be one of the two honestly named cards in the trade. Your mileage may vary, but in my group this change to the rules has made gathering calamities more difficult.

The new method of choosing which calamities take effect when you have more than the limit also makes this strategy less effective than it was in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys.

Next session, I'll re-emphasize these points and hopefully get proper buy-in - both for those whining about the change in order & gaming the calamities while trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.