Subject: QUESTION: Space Lanes and Fixed Systems rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to discover/create a space lane between two systems that are nearby to each other but already fixed to other systems, do you just keep rolling the die until you get the right distance? In our game, we had two nearby fixed systems that were exactly a three-sector space lane apart but with no space lane between them. We assumed we didn't just automatically place a space lane there but had to discover it, but how? Did we roll the die once per command as a Move and if the right number (in this case a 3) didn't come up, then nothing happened and the roll was wasted? How is this situation handled?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you leave a system you roll and place a new space lane. If it does not fit where you want stop at the first sector in the lane instead of moving off the far edge. Use another command to move back to your starting system via impulse. If the space lane has no ship in it and no system at one end it is removed from the table. Then you can explore again to try and get the size lane you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
since impulse is a 2 space move (usually) you can use one command to roll and move onto the new space lane, if it isnt the size you need use your second space of movement to move off it. so one command per attempt at impulse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
As Marc says.

Unless you fix your system with a premeasurement for the lane you may add later, it becomes a matter of dispute whether or not a particular lane will fit. To avoid that, I simply require all connections to be to a floating system; it is assumed that all fixed systems were deliberately fixed to block unwanted connections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
whardy wrote:
As Marc says.

Unless you fix your system with a premeasurement for the lane you may add later, it becomes a matter of dispute whether or not a particular lane will fit. To avoid that, I simply require all connections to be to a floating system; it is assumed that all fixed systems were deliberately fixed to block unwanted connections.

I don't see how it's ever a matter of dispute, if the ends of lane can touch two fixed systems and both systems can support another lane, you can connect the systems. What's to dispute? It's rare that two fixed systems would be the perfect length apart to be connected, but it can happen. Connected is connected...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All very helpful. Thanks. This is basically what we did; if the lane didn't fit, we moved the ship back and tried again. Ha! Never did roll the needed 3 before the game ended. The vastness of space and all that....!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
The way i chose to play if a space lane don't fit. Is as you have to go in to warp anyway and use a command to go out of warp and find out you cant becouse of the lane beeing to short or to long is to go back to the last system or stay at warp and keep useing a command to i get the role i need. That seems logical to me becouse when going through space you may find out that you cant carry on the corse you are at. But you can stil fly through space but will have to make adjustments to a course you are on if somthings is in the way. like stars, planets or black holes or other things that could destroy you in space.

Does this seem logical to you guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
It's fine by me. It's not like you're stealing something! You are losing a command each time to elect not to exit warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.