Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard G
United States
Bergenfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I opened the game today and played twice, sending the Warrior into the Dragon's Cave. Had a blast but each time my Warrior died on the first floor. Is one of the heroes particularly suitable for new players -- not necessarily in terms of likelihood of winning, but in terms of simpler mechanisms?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Herman
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the Warrior or Rogue as your first character. Each one has 4 of a stat for perils; the Rogue gives (relatively) cheap Heroic dice, and the Warrior gives them to you for free for something you do anyway (getting hit).

If you're having trouble, I would recommend starting in "normal" or "easy" mode--that is, with the first deck of the card as free starting XP (normal) or at level 2 (easy). The bonus heroic die you get either soon or immediately goes a long way towards taking less damage on the first floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard G
United States
Bergenfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful. Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The warrior can actually be pretty tricky to play. A lot of the pink/blue periis can end a run quickly.

I have had the easiest times with the Rogue and Mage since it is pretty easy to get heroic dice from their main skills in the early game. Also the mage's passive skill helps a lot against perils, allowing you to ignore 1 point of damage. (In solo)

The Archer seems to be the hardest hero because you can burn through the time real quick if not careful.

The Paladin might be the easiest as far as mechanism's go though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:
The warrior can actually be pretty tricky to play. A lot of the pink/blue periis can end a run quickly.

I have had the easiest times with the Rogue and Mage since it is pretty easy to get heroic dice from their main skills in the early game. Also the mage's passive skill helps a lot against perils, allowing you to ignore 1 point of damage. (In solo)

The Archer seems to be the hardest hero because you can burn through the time real quick if not careful.

The Paladin might be the easiest as far as mechanism's go though.

I agree with the Paladin as far as mechanism goes. The fact that she can basically halve the damage coming in is alluring. The only problem I see with her is that her agility and magic is below par and most perils are either Agility and/or magic to get. it is often I try and go for Magic and agility to help balance her out.

I've only beat the game with the archer, Almost won with the Mage, and Paladin. Have yet to try warrior or rogue. This of course against the dragon haven't even attempted the Yeti till I get a better grasp of the heroes.

Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark James Schryver
United States
Pulaski
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice: Whatever you do, don't start with the Archer. The "spend time for Heroic Dice" mechanic skews gameplay a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the best luck with the warrior. But I agree that a lot of early magic/agility trap cards can end you quickly.

Early on, I find it helps to clear a card where you know you will take damage just so you can grab two heroic dice (assuming you take at least two hits) and tackle a tough card with good rewards. And if there are no other easy cards out, try to take two more hits off that tough card so you can repeat your performance (if you have a choice between two hits, a hit and time, or two time, for example).

If you want to make it to the dragon, abilities that generate additional dice are critical. Anything that lets you trade in one dice for two or more is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard G
United States
Bergenfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the excellent advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you use the Mage and get the skill that lets you trade your blue dice for yellow or pink you pretty much get to cover all your bases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.