Subject: Mulligan Timing. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is the timing of the Mulligan and is the information public? Rules make it seem simultaneous, but I'm not sure how to properly execute this other than both players kinda sorta trying not to look at each other's actions during mulligan phase and then being honest about how many cards they mulliganed (assuming this is public).

RR: "Each player shuffles any number of cards from their hand
back into their deck, and then redraws until they have 5
cards in hand."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Williams
United States
Rancho cucamunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am not sure why this would be inportant. I would assume you and your opponent will try to do it at the same time but I don't get why you need to lnow how many cards you or your opponent mulliganed. I would not base how manny cards I mulligan based off my opponent. Just FYI, this is not my first ccg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eswilliams2002 wrote:
I am not sure why this would be inportant. I would assume you and your opponent will try to do it at the same time but I don't get why you need to lnow how many cards you or your opponent mulliganed. I would not base how manny cards I mulligan based off my opponent. Just FYI, this is not my first ccg.

Well it is mine. :D But I played years of Netrunner tournaments, and in that game it's hugely important to know whether your opponent mulliganed or not (and in that game it's just a binary choice) so maybe that's my mentality. I'd imagine given the choice, I'd rather know if my opponent chucked zero cards or five. It could certainly affect my decision. I don't know how this works in Magic or w/e.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Williams
United States
Rancho cucamunga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In this game, knowing will only get you into a certain frame of mind. Ex. If you opponent chucks 5 cards, then you feel he had a bad hand and you feel good. If he chucks 0 cards, he got a good hand and you may feel bad. That is the only reason I could think of. But I never played netrunner and I didn't mean to sound jerky when I said "this is not my first ccg" as the internet can make something sound mean when it isn't. Just wanted to clear that up.
I played a few games (I think at this time, around 3 or 4) and that never was an issue with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
given you have no way of knowing what cards he has/which ones he shuffles back in, i dont see much info there to change my choice of cards to keep or not.

when you build your deck, you know what synergies it works on and which cards are best to start with.

for example, for a pricy deck i need to start with resource-generating cards,
for a control deck you will rather need the upgrades that give you focus etc.
that is regardless what my opponent does

this might be more of an issue if you play the same opponent/the same deck multiple times in a row where you know his cards and his possible starting options, whether he goes for quick offense or not, but even then you can only make assumptions and are likely wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most CCGs I can't see how knowing how many cards the opponent is shuffling back in and redrawing would help. Netrunner, however, is different - the game can involve a lot of bluffing the opponent (what you've got, what you haven't got - and especially from the Corps' point of view in terms of ICE and nodes). Seeing an opponent getting desperate enough to discard their whole hand (or feigning desperation but risking a bad redraw) can tell the Runner quite a lot. Hence its importance.

But in Destiny, along with almost every other CCG, a mulligan says no more than I fancy my chances at getting a better hand than that one".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the official SWD tournament document:
Quote:
Each player selects any number of cards in their hand and places those cards facedown in a pile next to his or her characters. After all players have selected cards, each player shuffles those cards into his or her deck, presents the deck to their opponent, and then draws cards again until he or she has five cards in hand.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/2f/83...

So both players get to know whether or not their opponent is going to mulligan at the same time, and you get to see the pile to make a visual estimate as to how many (a little vs. a lot) but no rule exists letting anyone explicitly count how many cards are being mulled. Feel free, of course, to send a message to FFG if you'd like them to address this more directly - they're usually pretty good about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.