Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exploding Kittens ended with $8,782,571 in total funding. As of this posting KD:M is sitting just over $8.8 million, making it on track to be the most funded game in the history of KS. Obviously the number could go back down, but KD:M has never lost money on any day of the campaign, I would not be surprised if we broke $10 million by the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank god that travesty has finally been dethroned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
Thank god that travesty has finally been dethroned.

Yeah, its a shame that a cute little filler card game was popular. How dare the casual market buy such a thing from a popular internet cartoonist. Harumph I say!

:rolleyes:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really care that it passed EK specifically. It is more an announcement that KD:M has now passed the previous funding of ALL previous KS games with EK being the previous title holder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm sick and tired of the EK bashing.
Let's be positive and only focus on the KD:M achievement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But Explodibg Kittens must still be highet if you coubt % from asked plesge right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that KDM had become the most funded game and was interested to look a little (very little) deeper. Exploding Kittens had a little over 219,000 backers and KDM is sitting at 16,250 right now. Which means the average pledge would be $40.03 for EK and $545.10 for KDM. Wow!

Of course just looking at "average pledge" is irresponsible, because it's not really evenly distributed, but I'm not going to sit there and collect the data to establish a mean, standard deviation, and variance. At least average is still an interesting 2-seconds-of-effort fact!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
I saw that KDM had become the most funded game and was interested to look a little (very little) deeper. Exploding Kittens had a little over 219,000 backers and KDM is sitting at 16,250 right now. Which means the average pledge would be $40.03 for EK and $545.10 for KDM. Wow!

Of course just looking at "average pledge" is irresponsible, because it's not really evenly distributed, but I'm not going to sit there and collect the data to establish a mean, standard deviation, and variance. At least average is still an interesting 2-seconds-of-effort fact!
I don't know if you will be able to calculate that kind of information. Sure you can take the pledge tiers and numbers per tier, but you won't be including the add-on money which I imagine is a fair amount for KD:M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
But Explodibg Kittens must still be highet if you coubt % from asked plesge right?

That really doesn't mean anything though.

It's become normal for KS projects to set low goals so they can say "Funded in under 7.3 minutes!" and "4,523,892% funding reached!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Fallen wrote:

Yeah, its a shame that a cute little filler card game was popular.

I'm not an EK basher, as I bought the retail game for a friend and played it.

However, it being "popular" isn't the problem. I talk to a lot of people who don't know about modern board games or about Kickstarter. And when they see a bit of silly, shallow fluff as the #1 project, it does little to change a lot of the negative and erroneous assumptions many of them hold. If any game has to be the "face" of board gaming on KS, let it be one that is really unique and isn't a typical retail game. EK could have been sold at shops and avoided KS altogether. KDM couldn't.

I think I projected a 12-15mil close when the campaign started. I have no idea where it will end up since almost all the momentum came from EB pledges and then slowed way down. But with no confirmation that money can be added via pledge manager, we may see a huge upswing as people finalize their pledges. I know my own will double (at least) in the next few days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most KS that have already succeeded tend to grow significantly on the last two days as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it pass 10 Mil. 15 seems high but we'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'll just quote what somebody (seriously) said about this pn another place:

"Dollar for dollar Kittens was the better game."

I couldn't help but LMAO. But I guess some people will prefer EK...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Most KS that have already succeeded tend to grow significantly on the last two days as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it pass 10 Mil. 15 seems high but we'll see.

This is not a typical KS campaign.
Many people are sitting on top of multiple pledges and a lot of them will eventually drop 1666$ or 2000$ at once. Just like that.
That is not negligible and it's probably a premier in KS.
I honestly can't predict what will happen during the final minutes.
It will be a hell of a show, that's for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
Quote:

This is not a typical KS campaign.
Many people are sitting on top of multiple pledges and a lot of them will eventually drop 1666$ or 2000$ at once. Just like that.
That is not negligible and it's probably a premier in KS.
I honestly can't predict what will happen during the final minutes.
It will be a hell of a show, that's for sure.
Based on what I have seen people say I think that will be unlikely. Because so much content has been announced, I think most people with multiple pledges will likely drop their lower pledges, not the higher ones. Also the reason the pledges go up in the last day is people finalizing add-on money and the many, many people who starred the campaign coming back so there will be a ton of money being added to the campaign. As a point of reference, ~25% of backers for Mythic Battles pledged in the last 2 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

The reports of people holding multiple high-end pledges and dropping them in the final days have, much like reports of my untimely demise, been greatly exaggerated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These are fair arguments.
And there is this one:

"Oh my god! As tempting as it is, it's just a board game and I'm about to let 1666$ go in a few seconds. And it's not like I'm getting all of it next year. In 2020, I might be dead already.
Do I drop this and keep my reasonable and mariage compatible 250$ pledge (with a fair chance of getting a PM for some extra and taking futur black Fridays into consideration) or do I go all in with no possible way back???".

Now they look at the kids and the wife and the mortgage.
Wait for it:
Drop.

:-)

Of course the 1666$ pledge is a bargain.
But it's 1666$ you have to let go in less than three days!

I'm not pessimistic at a large scale and some people are waiting to grab any available satan's pledge too but I think the total amount will be a funny rollercoaster to look at for a few hours.

Al in all, I'll more or less stick to my initial prediction and would guess a total amount of 11,5M$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahah, baylock you are right on the expense part, but just let me point out that among KDM bakcers there is a lot of people that do not think to live three years more (I know this game makes you think that 3 years is surviving A LOT, but let me assure you it is not that big a deal around here).

While accidents do happen, we are approaching genocide levels here.

In the meantime, please drive responsibly, eat healthy and stay away from gunfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Ahah, baylock you are right on the expense part, but just let me point out that among KDM bakcers there is a lot of people that do not think to live three years more (I know this game makes you think that 3 years is surviving A LOT, but let me assure you it is not that big a deal around here).

While accidents do happen, we are approaching genocide levels here.

In the meantime, please drive responsibly, eat healthy and stay away from gunfire.

I'm 42 and Belgian.
I'm more likely to have to survive a cancer or a heart attack (or even boredom) than a gunfire!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
Now they look at the kids and the wife and the mortgage.

You forgot taxes. But I won't cave in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.