Popular Tags: [View All]
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the starting bidder bid zero? Or, if he's out of money, must he immediately drop out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes and yes.

bidding zero, whether by choice or necessity, means you drop out of the bidding and take the lowest value property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is the same as a pass. The starting bidder would just get the lowest card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting bidder is not allowed to bid $0.

Note that bidding $0 is not the same as passing. Imagine a three-player game in which a starting bidder with no money bids $0. Since he has just "placed a bid" (albeit a zero one), he does not take a card. If the two other players immediately pass and take the lowest two cards, the starting bidder who has bid $0 ends up with the high card.

This is the opposite result of the only allowable play according to the rules, where the starting bidder must immediately pass and take the lowest card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Lee
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire wrote:

Note that bidding $0 is not the same as passing. Imagine a three-player game in which a starting bidder with no money bids $0. Since he has just "placed a bid" (albeit a zero one), he does not take a card. If the two other players immediately pass and take the lowest two cards, the starting bidder who has bid $0 ends up with the high card.

This is the opposite result of the only allowable play according to the rules, where the starting bidder must immediately pass and take the lowest card.

Exactly the situation I faced.

Thanks everyone for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire wrote:

I am confused here. Don't you say they are NOT allowed to bid zero and 2 sentences later say "starting bidder with no money bids $0?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Spire wrote:

I am confused here. Don't you say they are NOT allowed to bid zero and 2 sentences later say "starting bidder with no money bids $0?"

That sentence 2 sentences later begins with the word "Imagine". As in, "imagine if this were allowed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. That whole thing had me convinced I COULD bid 0.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.