Hide
8 Posts

Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged» Forums » Rules

Subject: A Few Questions About Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Taylor Johnson
msg tools
I had a few buddies together and we were finally able to get some game time in. We were able to play 3 games and we all had a blast. We did have a few questions about the rules that we couldn't explicit see resolved in the rule book.

1) Can you block diagonally if two players by your sides? We just assumed that because you are not allowed to move diagonally between two players that block would also not be possible.

Example: In the picture below, am I correct in saying that #6 black would not be able to block #34 grey?

2) Tackling or Blocking out of bounds. We had a situation where one coach wanted to force a player out of bounds. Time was running low and it was 4th down. Is there a way to do this if the opposing team had the ball on the sideline space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerdriller wrote:
1) Can you block diagonally if two players by your sides? We just assumed that because you are not allowed to move diagonally between two players that block would also not be possible.

Example: In the picture below, am I correct in saying that #6 black would not be able to block #34 grey?

Black 6 can block 34 Grey; the Block action doesn't have the restriction for "if both sides of a diagonal are occupied". Only the Move action has that restriction.

However, Black 6 cannot perform a Follow-Up Move after that Block unless he has the Squeeze Play ability, since Move does have that positional restriction.

Quote:
2) Tackling or Blocking out of bounds. We had a situation where one coach wanted to force a player out of bounds. Time was running low and it was 4th down. Is there a way to do this if the opposing team had the ball on the sideline space?
No. Per the Block rules, "a player that would be pushed out of bounds as the result of a block is knocked down in his current square instead", and tackles don't push players out of bounds. Going out of bounds only ever happens as a deliberate decision by the player carrying the ball. In your case, the defense probably needs to play for a turnover: block, rather than tackle, the ball carrier to have more chances to get a roll of doubles and a fumble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Deorsey
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Since I have some questions regarding rule clarity, I'll jump in on this thread.

First off, I am very excited about the release of this game! I wish I had known about it during the Kickstarter campaign to back it. In the meantime I have been playing on a PnP setup with some friends.
We have run into some scenarios with which we were not exactly sure how to resolve.

1) If a defensive player is attempting a tackle on the ball carrier and the roll is a failure, does the defensive player get knocked back (and, for whatever reason, a follow up option created for the ball carrier)? If no follow up is taken, this would create room for the ball carrier (no more 3 movement penalty by the defender's threat) and a full activation for the offensive team. And if the tackle was a critical failure, would a knockback AND knockdown occur on the would-be tackler?

2) If a tackle is a critical success, does the ball carrier get knocked back (or forward if the tackle is from behind) THEN the ball is fumbled/scattered from the location it occurred? If by rule, the ball carrier is knocked down in the same square that the fumble occurred and the scatter rolls by the two coaches are the same number (no scatter), where is the ball placed? If the ball is placed on the knocked down player, how would a defensive player recover it, especially if a completely successful critical tackle/fumble activates a nearby teammate?

3) If a ball carrier is attempting a truck action on a defender and it is a failure, does the ball carrier just get knocked back (and not automatically tackled)? If it is a critical failure, does the ball carrier get knocked back, knocked down AND fumble the ball from there (essentially the same fumble scenario as #2 above)?

4) If a ball carrier is attempting a truck on a defender who is directly BEHIND him from his opponent's goal line and he fails, would that knock him FORWARD into the end zone for a TD?

Thank you in advance,
Aron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No, the Tackle action may not be reversed on a failure (p. 7 of the DriveThru version of the rulebook, contrast with the language in Block, which can be reversed), and pushing isn't an aspect of Tackling in any event. The tackling player remains in his space threatening the ball carrier. On a critical failure, the tackling player is knocked down, but there is still no provision to move that player.

2) As above, there is no push component of a Tackle. Just tackle (or fumble, as the case may be) in the current space.

3) "Trucking" is a Block by the ball carrier, and so the Block rules apply (p. 6). That means on a failure the opposing coach can reverse the Block, and on a critical failure the blocking player can also be knocked down and will fumble from the new space.

4) Reversing a failed play is optional. The opposing coach should probably not choose to help the ball carrier score.

(Note: pretty much all of this is in the "If the block / tackle attempt is a failure..." paragraph at the end of the Block and Tackle sections)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brew Monkey
msg tools
Thank you much for the response and clarifications.

However I am still uncertain where to place the ball when a ball carrier is knocked down & fumbles on a crit tackle & there is no scatter based on the scatter rolls resulting in the same number. If the ball remains in the same square as the knocked down player, how is a recovery made by another player on offense or defense?

Is there a link for the DriveThru version of the rulebook? (Or is that the same as the PDF under files as the "Kickstarter rules preview"?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BrewmonkeySF wrote:
Thank you much for the response and clarifications.

However I am still uncertain where to place the ball when a ball carrier is knocked down & fumbles on a crit tackle & there is no scatter based on the scatter rolls resulting in the same number. If the ball remains in the same square as the knocked down player, how is a recovery made by another player on offense or defense?

Is there a link for the DriveThru version of the rulebook? (Or is that the same as the PDF under files as the "Kickstarter rules preview"?)

If the results on the two dice are the same, the scatter does not occur and a dramatic recovery takes place [page 8]. This means that in this situation that the player keeps the ball and is just tackled [he may have a cracked rib or two though!].

You can find the DriveThru version of the rulebook HERE. It also comes as part of the Pixel Pack Bundle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarthy
United States
flag msg tools
On the topic of scattering..

Post a re-read of the rules after not playing for a bit, I'm questioning if I have this right.

(1) On a pass play, if I fail the skill check, does the scatter come before the opposing activation? (The rules say that the activation comes immediately following a skill check failure, which is where I'm now confused.)

(2) Also, with reversing an action. It was covered that tackles aren't reversed, and nowhere does it say a pass can be either. Blocks can be in that the blocker gets knocked back. A "reversal" is not the same as the "free activation" for the opposing team, right? (If I throw an errant pass, the opponent gets the activation to try and make the interception?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) The scatter is before the opposing activation; think of the scatter as the end part of the process of resolving the skill check.
(Note the bottom of page 3, under "Skill Checks: Failure": "Sometimes a failure result will have a specific effect. An example of this would be a failed passing attempt causing the ball to be scattered." So, part of the Failure process, even though Failure says to move on "immediately".)

(2) Correct, the reversal is separate from the opposing activation. Reversing a block is the procedural equivalent of scattering a failed pass above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.