publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

-+

THE inaugural
PNP GAME DESIGN AWARDS

VISIT THE CONTEST GEEKLIST HERE:
::: THE PNP GAME DESIGN AWARDS 2016 ::: - Entries GeekList

GOAL

The goal of the awards is to encourage the ongoing development of quality PnP games, to promote those games to new audiences, and to recognize excellence in PnP game design.

SCHEDULE

SUBMISSION: Submission starts and ends in January.
VOTING: Voting starts and ends in February.
AWARDS: Winners and finalists are announced in March.

ELIGIBILITY

The games eligible to be entered must be:
1. Freely available PnP games.
2. Have had active development during 2016.
3. Currently have a WIP thread.

Although there is no limit to the number of entries a designer can enter, you must enter your games if and when you think they are ready, as you will not be able to make any changes for the duration of the contest.

* Games entered into this and other board game design contest, or made publicly available prior to this contest are eligible. Games can and should be improved upon from the time they were entered into a prior contest. Indecent, inappropriate, unauthorized, or illegal games are not eligible.

** The WIP thread must be on BGG either documenting the game design, improvements, files, etc, or simply pointing towards a similar WIP thread outside of BBG.

SUBMISSION

Submission starts and ends in January, 2017.

PROCESS: Designers will list their own games on the official webpage here:
E http://georgejaros.com/PNPGDA/
Or the official GeekList here:
E ::: THE PNP GAME DESIGN AWARDS 2016 ::: - Entries GeekList
Or in both places! (Moderators will keep both locations synced, entering in both locations will help us ensure your game data is accurate.)

VOTING

Voting starts and ends in February.

Voting will be done by rating games on a five point scale with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest ratings. Games can be rated in four different categories: Overall Rating, Innovation, Thematic Immersion, Art & Design, and Rules. Additionally, each voter will be allowed to enter the BGG Usernames of helpful playtesters. None of the ratings will be required, and games can be rated at different times (i.e. a voter can rate some games, leave the site, and return to rate other games later).

All Level 1 or higher BGG members who registered the year prior to the contest (2016) or before may vote. Voters will be required to submit their BGG user name.

AWARDS

Winners and finalists are announced in March.

Voting will use a proprietary rating system formula similar to what was used for the 2 Player PnP Design Contest on BGG in 2016. The ranking formula takes the Wilson Score (a binomial proportion confidence interval) of all a game's ratings and adjusts it with bonuses, penalties, and other adjustments based on things like number of ratings, standard deviation, difference between max and min ratings, etc. The formula used to calculate the base rating (before adjustments) is based on the one described here.

BEST OVERALL GAME AWARD

1. Best Overall Game

BEST IN CATEGORY AWARDS

2. Best New Game
3. Most Innovative
4. Most Immersive
5. Best Art & Design
6. Best Written Rules
7. Best Playtester
8. Best Beyond PnP

* This category is for formally published, self published, digitally published, crowdfunded/ing, for profit entries and will not be eligible for the Best Overall Award.[/size]

PRIZES

Geek Gold donated to the main contest thread will be divided equally amongst the categories, with the Best Overall Game counting as two categories. Any Geek Gold donated to each category's individual post will be added to that category's total Geek Gold.

Geek Gold will then be distributed to each category's winners and finalists in a 60/10/10/10/10 ratio. Ties in a category will have that award divided evenly amongst the winners, any remainder will be applied to the winner of that category, and any remainder from ties in that category will go to the overall winner.

We are looking for additional sponsorships of prizes. If you would like to donate a prize for this contest, or have ideas for prizes beyond Geek Gold, please Contact Us. Ideas may include media coverage (reviews, podcasts, interviews, etc.), publisher feedback, gift certificates, games, equipment, etc.

Any prizes to be awarded will be updated here:

200 Total Geek Gold to be distributed amongst the winners. From:
- - George Jaros - 200 GG
GJJ Games will do a Full Review of the winner of the Best Overall Game for the 2016 awards, as well as a spotlight post highlighting the other winners and finalists.

OTHER RULES

1. No game can be awarded the same award twice.

2. While promoting the awards itself is encouraged, offering incentives to people in exchange for votes and excessive promoting (online or by or other means) is prohibited, and may result in being disqualified.

3. Geek Gold donated to the main contest will be divided equally amongst the categories, with the Best Overall Game counting as two categories. Any Geek Gold donated to each category's individual post will be added to that category's total Geek Gold. Geek Gold will then be distributed to each category's winners and finalists in a 60/10/10/10/10 ratio. Ties in a category will have that award divided evenly amongst the winners, any remainder will be applied to the winner of that category, and any remainder from ties in that category will go to the overall winner.

4. Authors must enter their own work and comply with copyright laws. All rights remain with their respective owners. Games must be freely available. Authors must allow images, videos and articles about the entries to be published.

Finally, as a wonderful community of game designers and gamers, I hope that we can all, in one way or another:
1. Promote the awards and invite potential candidates to enter the awards.
2. Help out and take part in the running the awards.
3. Discuss and help handle possible rules infractions.

Special thanks to Mark Tuck for the sweet logo, for R4D6 for naming the contest, to George Jaros for shaping the Awards from the beginning and creating the website, and to everyone on the committee for helping run the show.

Discussion about this contest can be found here: The Making Of ::: THE PNP GAME DESIGN AWARDS :::

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: THE PNP GAME DESIGN AWARDS 2016
SAVED

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SAVED FOR LATER

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
SAVED FOR NOW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VOTING

SCHEDULE: Voting starts and ends in February.

PROCESS: Voting will be done by rating games on a five point scale with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest ratings. Games can be rated in four different categories: Overall Rating, Innovation, Thematic Immersion, Art & Design, and Rules. Additionally, each voter will be allowed to enter the BGG Usernames of helpful playtesters. None of the ratings will be required, and games can be rated at different times (i.e. a voter can rate some games, leave the site, and return to rate other games later).

All Level 1 or higher BGG members who registered the year prior to the contest (2016) or before may vote. Voters will be required to submit their BGG user name.

AWARDS

SCHEDULE:
Winners and runners up are announced in March.

PROCESS: Voting will use a proprietary rating system formula similar to what was used for the 2 Player PnP Design Contest on BGG in 2016. The ranking formula takes the Wilson Score (a binomial proportion confidence interval) of all a game's ratings and adjusts it with bonuses, penalties, and other adjustments based on things like number of ratings, standard deviation, difference between max and min ratings, etc. The formula used to calculate the base rating (before adjustments) is based on the one described here.

PRIZES

Geek Gold donated to the main contest thread will be divided equally amongst the categories, with the Best Overall Game counting as two categories. Any Geek Gold donated to each category's individual post will be added to that category's total Geek Gold. Geek Gold will then be distributed to each category's winners and finalists in a 60/10/10/10/10 ratio. Ties in a category will have that award divided evenly amongst the winners, any remainder will be applied to the winner of that category, and any remainder from ties in that category will go to the overall winner.

We are looking for additional sponsorships of prizes. If you would like to donate a prize for this contest, or have ideas for prizes beyond Geek Gold, please Contact Us. Ideas may include media coverage (reviews, podcasts, interviews, etc.), publisher feedback, gift certificates, games, equipment, etc.

Any prizes to be awarded will be updated here:

200 Total Geek Gold to be distributed amongst the winners. From:
- - George Jaros - 200 GG
GJJ Games will do a Full Review of the winner of the Best Overall Game for the 2016 awards, as well as a spotlight post highlighting the other winners and runners up.
Reviewers from the Everything Board Games Review Network will review the winners of each category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey everyone,

I built the website that will host submissions and handle the voting process. If you encounter any issues with the site at all, please let me know ASAP. You can let me know through the Contact Us link on the site, through this thread, or through a direct message. I did my best to test it out before we made it live, but I'm not infallible so if you find anything odd, let me know. I'll also be continuing to be making some tweaks and improvements to the site, too, so if I break anything during that process please be patient. This is the first year of this contest, so it's growing as we go along.

For now the website is hosted on my personal webserver at http://georgejaros.com/PnPGDA

If the contest is a success this year we'll hopefully be able to make it an annual event and move the site to its own domain. Please promote the contest and encourage your designer friends to enter so that the contest continues!

Thanks,

George
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Froleiks
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Saved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anyway for me to modify my information on the georgejaros site?
I accidentally clicked the submit instead of the "other information" link (which is very close together on an ipad).

The "request game information change" link isn't working for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
I accidentally clicked the submit instead of the "other information" link (which is very close together on an ipad).

The link is an email address: George@Jaros.com
I assume you should try emailing George the changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
kzinti wrote:

The link is an email address: George@Jaros.com
I assume you should try emailing George the changes.

Yes, send me an email or contact me here and let me know what you need to update. I'll get it updated ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my p&p games was published in 2016. Does it count for the final category "Beyond p&p"?

It is this game: Solitaire Caesar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
One of my p&p games was published in 2016. Does it count for the final category "Beyond p&p"?

If there is still a free PnP version of the game and you have a WIP thread documenting development of the game in 2016, then yes! Congratulations on the publication!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
gjjaros wrote:
kerpob2 wrote:

If there is still a free PnP version of the game and you have a WIP thread documenting development of the game in 2016, then yes! Congratulations on the publication!

Ah, there are neither of those things, so I don't think it counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the webpage so that you can include links directly to your rules and up to three additional PnP files and they'll show up right on your listing, so that'll make it a little easier for people to download the games (they don't necessarily have to click through to the WIP). I updated all the entries so far with links to their rules and any other files I saw. If you need your entry changed, let me know. Which brings me to the next update to the webpage, a nicer Contact form so that it's not just an email to me. Well, it still sends me an email, but it uses a nice web form now instead of just opening up a mail client.

Still working on the rating functionality. I should have that done by the end of the month, in time for voting to open.

Be sure to share the contest out so we can get a lot of entries! Also, we're working on finding a sponsor or two for some bigger prizes, beyond just Geek Gold. I have a few things in the works, so be sure to enter and help promote the awards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Spread the word!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I've created a GeekList for the contest that has all the current entries:

::: THE PNP GAME DESIGN AWARDS 2016 ::: - Entries GeekList

You can enter you game in either the GeekList or at the main contest webpage (or both): http://georgejaros.com/PnPGDA

I'll keep both locations synced up, but entering your game in both locations will help out tremendously. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, thanks for entering your games so far!

http://georgejaros.com/PNPGDA/index.cfm

I've made some updates on the website. You can now edit your game's information if you need to. Simply us the Request Information Change link (once you expand the More Information panel) for your game. That'll send me an email notification and I'll send you back the Edit Key that you'll need to edit your game. You'll be able to make any changes necessary.

I recommend you enter details about the components that your game requires. It'll help people know what kind of a build they'll be getting into, plus we may be honoring some games based on their build complexity (e.g. best Small, Medium, and Large build games), but only for games that have component information entered.

Thanks, and let me know if anyone has any questions or runs into any issues with the site.

(P.S. I have the voting forms and ranking algorithms all in place, so that's good to go for February and March!)

- George -
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone! We have a sponsorship!

The Game Crafter will be awarding a $20 gift certificate to the winner of Best Overall Game for this year! Hopefully this will help the contest grow into a larger, annual competition!

Please share the contest and let people know about the prize. And a HUGE Thank You to JT and everyone at The Game Crafter for their support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW!

That's great news, indeed!

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm super excited to announce that we have sponsors for the 2016 Print N Play Game Design Awards! The winner of Best Overall Game of 2016 will receive from The Game Crafter a $20 Gift Certificate and from the Indie Game Alliance, One Year of IGA Pro Benefits (that's a $200 value)! A huge THANK YOU to JT at The Game Crafter and Matt at IGA for their support!

These are in addition to the Geek Gold and Game Review prizes offered by GJJ Games and the Everything Board Games Review Network. Thank you to everyone who is supporting the PNP GDAs!

Enter your PnP game today! Or come to the site to download and play a whole bunch of awesome, free games! http://georgejaros.com/PNPGDA/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not long to go now. I better enter my game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The entry deadline for the 2016 PnP Game Design Awards has been extended to February 15th!

After some discussion it was decided to extend the entry deadline in this inaugural year. We now have 35 entries and 4 sponsors! Thanks to Indie Game Alliance, The Game Crafter, Everything Board Games Network, and GJJ Games!

Visit http://georgejaros.com/PnPGDA/ to enter your game, or to play some awesome games! Voting will be from 2/16/2017 to 3/15/2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question...

I've done some more playtesting to my entry which have resulted in some changes; however, the rules appear to state that once entered, I cannot change the files for my game. Is that correct?

In that case, I guess I would just keep those files to myself until the contest is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. That is what the rules say. The reasons for this was to make it easier for every to playtest games as soon as they were submitted, not waiting for improvements. Constant updates could suggest that the game is not finished, and it would be fair to ask "Have they tested the improvements since they were included in the game?" By the way... if you work on your game this year, you can always submit the game to the next PNPGDA.

I'm not in favor of changing the rules mid contest. I found improvements in my own game too. That said... the issue that you raised could be incorporated in next year's awards. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Gerlach
United States
Watertown
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I definitely agree with the principle behind that ruling and appreciate all the thought that has gone into organizing this contest. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.