Stronghold (2nd edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Marksmen Volley rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karol W
Poland
flag msg tools
Greetings!
I think most of the rules are clear to me, but one thing bugs me.

Let's say the Defender has two Marksmen on a wall section. The section is linked to two ramparts. When doing the Marksmen Volley can the Defender assign one of those Marksmen to fire on the first rampart and the other Marksman to fire on the 2nd rampart? Or should ALL Marksmen on a wall section target only one rampart?

EXAMPLE:

Wall A is linked to ramparts 1 & 2
Wall B is linked only to rampart 2

There are two Marksmen on wall A and one Marksman on wall B.

Rampart 1 has a Goblin, rampart 2 has an Orc.

Can one Marksman from wall A target the Goblin on rampart 1 and the other Marksman from wall A (together with the Marksman from wall B) target the Orc on rampart 2, thus killing both of them?
OR do all Marksmen from a single wall have to focus on one rampart? (so in my example - BOTH Marksmen from Wall A fire at the same target, killing either the Goblin from rampart 1 (and wasting 1 power) or the Orc from rampart 2 (leaving the single Marksman on wall B without a target and in practice also wasting 1 power)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joost
Netherlands
Rosmalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Karol,

We've been playing it that each Marksman can be assigned a different target. So even Marksmen on the same wall section can target different ramparts as long as they are connected to this wall section.

Regards,
Joost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karol W
Poland
flag msg tools
Thank you for the answer Joost, that's the interpretation that also seems most logical to me. Gives the defender a bit more flexibility and reduces the chance of power point waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Piefer "Luke Luke The Orange"

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
mbmb
Can marksmen distribute their hit points in such a way as to kill less invader units than the maximum possible? The first example of melee combat on page 14 indicates that the loser must lose the maximum strength if possible, so I'm wondering if and how this applies to marksmen volley as well.

A very literal interpretation would suggest that marksmen can choose to target different ramparts even if it reduces the amount of invader strength they can destroy, but once they choose the ramparts to attack, they have to kill that amount of strength if possible. The reason I believe this is because of the parenthetical "e.g. if 2 strength points must be removed, the Defender can remove 1 orc or 2 goblins" on page 12. The word "must" implies that you can't choose to remove less total strength, as in the example of melee combat on page 14.

The reason you might want to remove less than the max should be obvious. You might have a troll trap or troll cauldron and prefer to remove 1 orc instead of 1 troll, even if you have a kill strength of 3 and there are no goblins to remove in addition to the orc. The example on page 14 makes it clear you can't do that in melee combat and I doubt you can do it in marksmen volley either. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cannons and sharp-shooter allow you to kill lesser units instead of stronger ones, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would always play that you can take less damage than you possibly can. That's just more fun to give this choice to player and not to the system !!! Also thats how RodneySmith plays it in his tutorial video !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.