Subject: Buying this used, what should be in the box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wim Magermans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

I found a copy of this game used, but I would like to know, before I pick it up, what should be inside the box.

This website describes, what I understand, both Swamps of Death and City of the Ancients components.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks a lot in advanced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb

See the wiki, it is for the City of Ancients core set only.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/146791/shadows-brims...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Magermans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
And for the counters? As I understand, it added up for both boxes, or am I wrong about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kindertuin wrote:
And for the counters? As I understand, it added up for both boxes, or am I wrong about this?

Oh, I guess so. Not sure where you could find a list of the tokens.

That said, I can't recommend you buy this game, even used. Unless it's really, really cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevBelisle wrote:
Kindertuin wrote:

That said, I can't recommend you buy this game, even used. Unless it's really, really cheap.

Disregard this guy. He's been trolling nearly every forum, dissing the game because he's unhappy about the KS. By far the majority love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
KevBelisle wrote:
Kindertuin wrote:

Just make sure you understand where Klutz is coming from - why he dislikes the game. Others of us played the core games for multiple sessions each week for six months before getting any expansions and loved it. YMMV.

As for token counts... the only important ones are the exploration tokens (12 per set - exact duplicates). Everything (?) else is just for counting or marking. You can roughly halve the values in that wiki for counters except for the box specific ones. I know some of those values are wrong, but for the most part it doesn't affect anything because they are never all in play at the same time. Or at least we never got to that point that I remember.

So if you have a handful of each, you're probably fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth7 wrote:
Disregard this guy. He's been trolling nearly every forum, dissing the game because he's unhappy about the KS. By far the majority love it.

If a company make a good game, offers good customer service, and takes care of their backers, I'll support the crap out of them. I'll spend literally hundreds of hours designing custom content for their game and being active in the forums.

But if a company makes an ok game, offers poor customer service, posts deceptive updates, consistently announces delays at the last possible moment and screws over their backers? They'll get absolutely no pity or compassion from me.

FFP did this to themselves - they took the plane filled with all their backers and flew it straight into the freaking ground. Repeatedly.

But to add some detail to my comment of not recommending the game to the OP:

The core sets contain:
- A bunch of low-detail miniatures featuring very well-defined mold lines and joint gaps.
- A "variety" of very similar missions that have you find clues and fight a big bad guy.
- A "variety" of very similar enemies, that are just stat line variations of one another.
- Combat is a boring, repetitive, dice-fest of an experience with very, very little in terms of strategic or tactical decision making.

So yeah, don't buy it unless it's cheap because it (supposedly) gets better with expansions, so you'll need to spend a lot of money on those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
And yet, somehow, despite all these flaws, lots of people are having lots of fun playing the game anyway.

It's totally legit to have issues with FFPs business practices. And it's totally legit to simply not like the game. But it's dishonest to present your personal feelings as the final word when there are so many people who feel otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Magermans
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the answers everyone.

As for liking this game, I will see after I get time to play with it.
I can buy it for 60 US dollar. The biggest plus for me is that all the models are glued already (didn't have feeling in doing that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.