Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Ellsworth
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mb
So, while doing some Christmas shopping at my FLGS I got slapped with a 20% off coupon. Their trickery has worked and now I want to add another game to my collection before the end of the month. Since its 20% off I figured the most savings should be had (and of course that's why I'm making this purchase, "but the savings, how can I not?) buy acquiring a bigger ticket item.

I'm looking for a thematic game with a decent amount of strategy. It needs to play well with two, but would also be nice if it scales up, though not entirely necessary. Here's my current list:

Scythe - It seems everyone loves it. I just recently acquired Viticulture and Tuscany, maybe I should continue down the SG path?
Pandemic Legacy - I enjoy Pandemic (and don't actually owe it) so I should probably get this. One reason for hesitation is I would be trapped playing it with either just my girlfriend or my sporadic group, can't easily do both.
The Gallerist - Girlfriend loves the theme, I'm just slightly worried it might be too hefty for us still right now.
Star Wars: Rebellion/Star Wars: Imperial Assault - Girlfriend likes Star Wars, so it could be another good fit thematically. Just not sure which would be better for us right now.
Terraforming Mars - Keep reading that its great and also plays well with 2.
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition - App seems like something fun and unique. Worried it won't be so great with just two.
Food Chain Magnate - We are both really into food, so that's fun, but like the Gallerist possibly too hefty still?

Here's a quick list of related (ish) games we already have, and therefore enjoy:
Robinson Crusoe
Viticulture
Brewcrafters
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Space Alert

I would be open to other suggestions as well, but I know my local store has all the ones I listed I believe.

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Help me pick a meatier (ready pricey) addition
Given that list of games available in stock, and 20%off I would be jumping for Scythe. Of course, if it were to cover a transaction rather than a game, I would be walking out with Terraforming Mars as well.

I'm jealous. My FLGS had an "up to 50% off" sale on the 26th. I found out on the 27th angrycry Apparently they advertised it on Facebook. yuk Ageist Scum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
Drazzamatazz wrote:
current list:

Star Wars: Rebellion/Star Wars: Imperial Assault - Girlfriend likes Star Wars, so it could be another good fit thematically. Just not sure which would be better for us right now.

Star Wars Rebellion is what I would suggest to you. Imperials is a lot of fun but I wouldn't recommend it as a two player game while Rebellion exists. Rebellion also feels like "The original trilogy in board game form."

Also it definitely shines as a two player game. Playing with 4 is interesting as it creates a team perspective with each person controlling a different theatre. A 4 player game is also excellent for teaching two new players provided someone on each side knows how to play.

Finally, as much as I enjoyed going through some of the campaigns of Imperials, Rebellion's big picture take on galactic conquest is more enjoyable to me as a solid start to finish experience. Imperials is a stop and go game since the campaigns can span several play sessions.

--------------

As for Rebellion vs the others, if your girlfriend is a huge Star Wars fan I think she will truly enjoy Rebellion over the others.

My second pick for you would be Scythe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll comment on the games you mention:

Scythe: Great game with very good replayability. It's OK at 2, but better with more. Not sure I would play it a ton with just 2.

Pandemic Legacy: This would be a very strong pick. Play it with your girlfriend, but make sure that you both control two characters - it is just a better game with four characters.

The Gallerist: Clearly better at 4 players. Wouldn't be my first pick here.

Star Wars: Rebellion/Star Wars: Imperial Assault: Rebellion seems a much better choice here, but it depends on whether your girlfriend appreciates long and rules heavy games.

Terraforming Mars: Yeah, it's great and works well as a 2 player game. Solid choice. I actually like Scythe more, but for 2 players, I would probably prefer this.

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition: Haven't played the second edition, so can't comment. First edition was fun enough, but required a game master.

Food Chain Magnate: Better with 3, I think.

-----

So based on your list and your needs I would probably go with Pandemic Legacy.

EDIT: All of these are great games, so you probably won't go wrong whichever game(s) you pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some good ones you might want to consider:

Covert
Orléans
Concordia
Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
The Gallerist: Clearly better at 4 players. Wouldn't be my first pick here. ...
EDIT: All of these are great games, so you probably won't go wrong whichever game(s) you pick.

We love The Gallerist, and have played it with two; yet I must agree that it's better with three players and probably at its best with four. A higher player count drives more interaction, which really makes things interesting.

EDIT:
djn1981 wrote:
Here are some good ones you might want to consider:

Covert
Orléans
Concordia
Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy

Concordia is a lot of fun, too, for two, three, or four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ellsworth
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mb
First off, thanks everyone for the help so far.

Greg, yeah, it is (un)fortunately only off of one game as far as I can tell or else I'd be knocking off a few more titles from my list. Just got the wooden insert of KotMKL for Christmas and now need the Secrets expansion to fully flushout the holder.

Considering what people have said it sounds like Food Chain Magnate is getting the axe as well as potentially the Gallerist, though I could see some convincing happening to have me go with that in the end.

Looking back to my last visit, I actually didn't see Scythe, but rather just the expansion. Perhaps they are currently out and awaiting the new shipment, so that could get a pass as well.

Pandemic Legacy may actually be something I should get elsewhere, though it sounds like one of the strongest contenders. Most stuff at the FLGS is MSRP and it seems Legacy is currently cheaper at most online shops.

WisdomforWizards, I wouldn't say she's a HUGE fan of Star Wars, but she does enjoy the films so I think its a theme she could easily relate to. Rebellion seems like the clear winner for us right now of the two. It is nice that it seems to shine with two, but allows two more to join as well.

How immersive is the theme of Terraforming Mars? Does it really feel like you are making an impact or rather just playing an enjoyable game? If the theme is good this is going on my shortlist.

Dan, thanks for the other suggestions! Concordia looks great, though I wonder at this point if the theme is too close to 7 Wonders: Duel (with a touch of Viticulture) at this point in my collection. Diversity is key for now.

I'm going to keep mulling over my options as I have some time still, so I am of course looking forward to more opinions, but I just wanted to thank people right now for such quick responses. This place really seems to have a very helpful community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linn Schifano
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
+1 SW:Rebellion

I would also strongly suggest 1775: Rebellion or 1812: The Invasion of Canada: quick to learn/teach, ideal for 2p, but can bring in extra players for team game, interesting historical period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ellsworth
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mb
Time to make a decision. Same question, totally different list of games due to what the store now has in stock.

Dead of Winter (but which?)
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition (seems like the best deal at 20% off list)
Zombicide: Black Plague
Blood Rage
T.I.M.E. Stories
Pandemic Legacy

It's also possible I should just buy whatever is the best current choice overall for me/us somewhere online, rather than just what my FLGS has to offer, but I thought this coupon would be a nice excuse to give them more support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.