Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Four of us played for the first time yesterday - liked it so much we played three games.

However, there is one rule that seems terribly ambiguous. In one part of the rules the one-shot Civil Wars and Religious wars MUST be activated while another rule says they are OPTIONAL. Or, is it just the Coronation and Trade shifts that are optional?

We played to the rule that they are mandatory if you play the card. Is this correct or is there a middle ground where you have the option but still have to deploy the agents, repressing any tokens you replace? A clarification is needed here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All one-shot are optional. But if you don't do it, you won't do it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sderrick wrote:
Four of us played for the first time yesterday - liked it so much we played three games.

However, there is one rule that seems terribly ambiguous. In one part of the rules the one-shot Civil Wars and Religious wars MUST be activated while another rule says they are OPTIONAL. Or, is it just the Coronation and Trade shifts that are optional?

We played to the rule that they are mandatory if you play the card. Is this correct or is there a middle ground where you have the option but still have to deploy the agents, repressing any tokens you replace? A clarification is needed here.

One shots are always optional, but you must declare whether you're triggering them or not when you play the card.

From rule E2, if you trigger the one-shot you must deploy the agents. If you don't trigger, deployment is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Derrick
United Kingdom
Coventry
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. Having read the rules again I can see this now. I think the fact that the sentence about having to place the agents is the 'mandatory' action, not the one-shot itself.

BTW: Our three games ended with..
1. Islam Holy Victory
2. Imperial vicotry
3. Renaissance victory

In the last turn of the last game, three of the four players were just waiting their turn to declare victory - incredibly close!

This will probably be my most played game of 2017!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.