9 Posts

Deathwatch: Overkill» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing without 32mm bases? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Sander
Sweden
flag msg tools
I have an idea. I need someone to tell me if it’s a good idea.
Someone who has played this game a number of times.

Here’s the problem: I bought D:O a while ago, but haven’t put it together yet, because I don’t like the 32mm bases. I want to use the models in other games, and for that they need to be on 25mm bases. Plus, on 32mm they won’t fit with my existing models (which is a TON of marines and stealers on 25mm which I have NO intention of rebasing).

I only play friendly games, so I don’t have to worry about ”legal” base sizes. I would not hesitate for a moment to change the bases, unless GW made a game that RELIES on base sizes and I still want to be able to play it.

I was thinking about using adapter bases when I play D:O, but it felt clumsy and inelegant.

I have agonised over this for a long time, but here’s one possible solution: I decrease the base size for all!

The Patriarch moves from 50mm to 40mm (64% of original area).
The Terminator moves from 40mm to 30mm (roughly 56%).
All models on 32mm moves to 25mm (61%).
The teleporter, servo-skull and familiars moves from 25mm to 20mm (64%).

Then, I photocopy the board tiles to 64% of original area, which would make them about 16cm x 21.6cm.

But...

The Neophytes stay on their 25mm bases.
I could, of course, move them to 20mm, but that would kind of defy the purpose.

So my question is: If the 14 neophytes have bases that are proportionally larger, would the game play very differently?

Or if I put the question the other way around: If you play the game out-of-the-box, what would it be like if the neophytes were on 32mm bases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are BGG OCD, DON'T worry about it. Just don't.

Yes, the game is designed with varied base sizes (or not, I guarantee the base sizes are dictated by 40K, NOT DW:OK).
Yes, it uses base sizes to limit how many models can fit in a zone.
Yes, maybe during the game one extra model will fit on a zone somewhere and make a tiny difference in the game. Maybe.
Yes, as you lay on your deathbed, surrounded by loved ones, not having played Deathwatch: Overkill with "incorrect" base sizes may bring you an extra measure of peace. So will stop wearing you sister's underwear, so, it's a trade off.

No, NO ONE will know or care, unless you tell them.
No, it wont change the game measurably. Maybe one extra sneaky Hybrid will get one extra attack against the good guys. Maybe. I would keep the Terminator and Broodlord on their standard (for this game and 40K) bases. And, of course the bike. That is part of the game (but even then, not a BIG part).
No, it's part of the game, but a tiny part of the game. In fact, if you are very scrupulous about fitting models in zones, you will accomplish the same thing. We were at first, and then figured out the game doesn't require being dickish about it.

DO NOT (I repeat, DO NOT) go to extreme measures! Unless "The Voices" demand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
oh yea, yikes. That sounds absolutely nuts (plus the original game boards are really nice)

Just put everything on bases that you like. It really makes almost no difference to gameplay. You could adopt a house rule that space marines need to be 5-10mm apart, and viola, you're at approximately the correct spacing so that nothing changes much. I put everything on clear acrylic stands, and my Space Marines ARE ALL 25mm, THANKYOUVERYMUCH!

I am BGG OCD is some ways, but hoo boy! That sounds like too much work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sander
Sweden
flag msg tools
Oh dear...

When I posted this, I thought "maybe someone will think I am too picky and anal about this, but what the hell, this is BGG".

Thank you for colourful replies and a few laughs. To be honest, these ideas have been bouncing around in my head so long that it borders on OCD. whistle Maybe I needed someone to snap me out of it. Thank you guys.

Just to be clear (and because I feel the need to defend myself a little bit), I don't care one bit what people think of the way I play games, and I have no fear of GW:s correction militia. cool

My real concern was: "If I do this, will I wreck the game?"

Your answers are, if I understand you correctly: "Just replace the 32's with 25's, leave everything else as it is and you are good to go. It will affect gameplay slightly, but no deal-breaker!"

This is exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks again!

I will probably put the Terminator on a 30mm, as I have my other Terminators like this for use in Space Hulk.

AND I will keep the inappropriate underwear... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put my "alternative" Terminators on 30mm bases for Space Hulk, too. I sleep well at night (AFTER The Voices go to bed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liber Malefic
Finland
flag msg tools
One thing I'd like to point out:

DanSander wrote:
Then, I photocopy the board tiles to 64% of original area, which would make them about 16cm x 21.6cm.

This would increase the range of all weapons if you're using the range ruler that comes with the game. This would mean all scenarios play a bit differently than the original game unless you also shrink the range ruler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The plot thicken's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also had no desire to base these marines on 32mm, as ALLLLLLLLLL the other marines I own, and there are many, would be instantly invalidated. So instead, I painted up some 32mm bases to match, and use sticky-tack to temporarily rebase the marines for this game.

Edit: ...and by 'rebase', I mean the 25mm base is permanently attached to fig and then sticky-tacked to the 32mm base. I don't remove the model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Hill
United Kingdom
newtownards
county down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded a pic of my solution for using multiple bases on one miniature (it's in my gallery, but can't see how to link a pic to this thread - teccieness not my strong point)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.