Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bottom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I realize that the database contains many adult and explicit games, and I'm all fine with that, and I applaud the lengths that the webmaster and moderators have gone to to allow users to set their own personal preferences for content so that we don't all have to see the explicit content if we don't want to. However, I found it rather odd and a little upsetting when I saw a box shot of a game called "Porn Star" in the four images that always show up at the bottom of the page. I don't have any clue how that part of the page is generated or how the pictures are selected, but it would be nice if it, too, could be set (either globally or by user) to not include adult / explicit images. Thanks for the consideration.

-Nate
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
The picture is gone now and the games at the bottom have changed, but the question / point still remains.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brooks
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question! I've always wondered how those images are generated. Maybe it's like the Hot Games list, where Gay monopoly comes up every once in a while and then stays there because everyone clicks on it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Funnell
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At one stage not so long ago a game called 'F@#k This' started appearing on the front page as part of the 'Hot Games' and in a forum. I wrote an email to Aldie complaining that I did not want to see the word 'F@#k' appearing on my screen every time I visited BGG (it was quite prominent) and it never appeared again. I suspect that this is a similar case and it's reassuring to me that the admin are paying attention (assuming the pictures have been deliberately removed!). To answer your point, yes it would be nice if such pictures were tagged so that they could not appear on the front page if a particular user set their preferences to filter out such contentious material. And my reply here should be taken as support of such a move.

Jason.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
Maybe this could be a use for the "mature" image tag? A front page filter?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up...
Great, now you've made me go look up the game. (PornStar)

Love the movie titles! laugh

...or was it Project Pornstar?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is there always so much fuss about sex with americans?!?
It´s sickening me.
Violence seems alright, but if a female nipple shows up (which might not even have been the case at this point) they scream:"Somebody proctect our children!".

22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
NateStraight wrote:
I applaud the lengths that the webmaster and moderators have gone to to allow users to set their own personal preferences for content so that we don't all have to see the explicit content if we don't want to.


There's a show/hide adult images preference? where is it? I'd like to set it to show only adult images.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ernst
United States
Morrison
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
Why is there always so much fuss about sex with americans?!?
It´s sickening me.
Violence seems alright, but if a female nipple shows up (which might not even have been the case at this point) they scream:"Somebody proctect our children!".


You're right, I think it's more about children who might visit BGG than about the adults. If my children go to BGG looking for a game, I don't want them to have a game about pornography staring them in the face, and yes, I monitor my kids when they are on the internet, they're 10 and 8 years old.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
The Jakster wrote:
Why is there always so much fuss about sex with americans?!?
It´s sickening me.
Violence seems alright, but if a female nipple shows up (which might not even have been the case at this point) they scream:"Somebody proctect our children!".



Sex is different from porn.

I'm not that big on violence, either, for the record.

Who said anything about children? I, personally, do not want to see this game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
To expand upon Drew's reply, Americans are renowned as such savagely passionate lovers that we simply MUST restrict anything that could be remotely arousing for our own safety - NAY...for the safety of the entire world.

It's either that or a psychological aversion towards accepting our own creatureliness due to the implications it holds for our prospects for immortality.

-MMM
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
Why is there always so much fuss about sex with americans?!?


Have you ever had sex with Americans?


Not in the plural although I have enjoyed them one at a time
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
Why is there always so much fuss about sex with americans?!?
It´s sickening me.
Violence seems alright, but if a female nipple shows up (which might not even have been the case at this point) they scream:"Somebody proctect our children!".



Sex is different from porn.

I'm not that big on violence, either, for the record.

Who said anything about children? I, personally, do not want to see this game.


That was me, because children are often used as an excuse to censorship sex.
But the real motivation behind this is that these people think sex is dirty, plain and simple.
That is why I said it´s sickening me.
These people seem to have no problem with a hooker being shot (they would feel slightly uneasy, because a hooker was involved, but in a corner of their mind a voice would tell them it´s only righteous), but would be outraged if the hooker would be shown at work!
This attitude, unlike sex, is sick and perverted.

There are people like that all over the world, but America is their stronghold from my experience.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monte Lewis
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
The Jakster wrote:

But the real motivation behind this is that these people think sex is dirty, plain and simple.
That is why I said it´s sickening me.
These people seem to have no problem with a hooker being shot (they would feel slightly uneasy, because a hooker was involved, but in a corner of their mind a voice would tell them it´s only righteous), but would be outraged if the hooker would be shown at work!
This attitude, unlike sex, is sick and perverted.

There are people like that all over the world, but America is their stronghold from my experience.


This, sir, is a gross generalization, plain and simple. It is fallacious, insulting, and offends me. Thank you for your time.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
Yeah, pretty much.

I mean how many games on the bottom row depict the straight up sensless murder of our fellow human beings?

Well, every game dealing with war in some way or another. But for some reason the folks worried about their kid seeing the words "Porn Star" aren't worried about them seeing monumental acts of mass murder. It strikes me as strange to say the least.



The Jakster wrote:


Sex is different from porn.

I'm not that big on violence, either, for the record.

Who said anything about children? I, personally, do not want to see this game.


That was me, because children are often used as an excuse to censorship sex.
But the real motivation behind this is that these people think sex is dirty, plain and simple.
That is why I said it´s sickening me.
These people seem to have no problem with a hooker being shot (they would feel slightly uneasy, because a hooker was involved, but in a corner of their mind a voice would tell them it´s only righteous), but would be outraged if the hooker would be shown at work!
This attitude, unlike sex, is sick and perverted.

There are people like that all over the world, but America is their stronghold from my experience.

[/q]
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
It's not a matter of "censoring sex." It's a matter of censoring porn.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
The Jakster wrote:


That was me, because children are often used as an excuse to censorship sex.
But the real motivation behind this is that these people think sex is dirty, plain and simple.
That is why I said it´s sickening me.


You're insane. No one in this thread said anything about kids except you, and no one even came close to saying or implying that sex itself is "dirty."

I just personally do not want to have to see games that glorify, in one way or another, a media that, in my and many others' opinions, is a perversion of sexuality.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
The Jakster wrote:


That was me, because children are often used as an excuse to censorship sex.
But the real motivation behind this is that these people think sex is dirty, plain and simple.
That is why I said it´s sickening me.


You're insane. No one in this thread said anything about kids except you, and no one even came close to saying or implying that sex itself is "dirty."

I just personally do not want to have to see games that glorify, in one way or another, a media that, in my and many others' opinions, is a perversion of sexuality.



Yes, I´m insane for trying to argument with erotophobes like you, it´s utterly pointless!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
The Jakster wrote:
NateStraight wrote:
The Jakster wrote:


That was me, because children are often used as an excuse to censorship sex.
But the real motivation behind this is that these people think sex is dirty, plain and simple.
That is why I said it´s sickening me.


You're insane. No one in this thread said anything about kids except you, and no one even came close to saying or implying that sex itself is "dirty."

I just personally do not want to have to see games that glorify, in one way or another, a media that, in my and many others' opinions, is a perversion of sexuality.



Yes, I´m insane for trying to argument with erotophobes like you, it´s utterly pointless!


I disagree with censorship in all of its forms, and think that Americans are ridiculous when it comes to sex/nudity (as a generality, not all of them - look at me!), but up to a certain extent, I think that if someone wants to censor something that doesn't affect you directly, they should be allowed to do so. Debate about why they feel that way, and why you feel that way is constructive. Name-calling and self-righteousness is not.

It is a part of the culture here, too, in part. I can look at an image at work of a war game, and if it's a relatively abstracted war field with minatures menacing each other from the next territory over without issue, but I certainly couldn't look at an image of a naked man or woman unquestioned (although it would probably be fine if it weren't pornographic in nature, but I'm an exception being a grad student) - and for that reason alone, I might choose to filter "mature" things if on BGG at work and these images were prevalent. These are the university's rules - not mine, and I may not like them, but I will abide to them if I find them reasonable.

Should I ever have children, I'd be more likely to keep "simplified violence" (like someone getting shot and dying without any aesthetic damage a.k.a. stormtroopers being shot) away from them than more realistic violence (a.k.a. Saving Private Ryan), and certainly more than sex/nudity scenes (probably keeping pornography away from them until they're 13 or 14, but letting them watch all the "healthy/good/loving" sex scenes they might encounter). We want to prepare children for the world, not shield them from it until suddenly they are forced to encounter it - anything else is a failure and if they are one of the many who are not able to adapt then it would be the parents' own fault.

I think that shielding them from it leads to frat-boy like lack-of-respect-for-females in males and a perverse sense of self-image in females...and likely much more, but I don't have any concrete facts to back up my claims at the moment aside from ultra-frat-boy behaviors being localized to the US as well as (what I believe is) the largest eating disorder density in the US as well (but someone can validate or unvalidate that claim).

But, I digress. My main point here was to convince you to have a real debate, rather than internet trolling and name-calling.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
One more to add to the "I don't mind pics of nudity/sex, but I want to be able to avoid them."

Why? Because sometimes I browse BGG from work. If an offended-by-sex coworker happened to see the "Porn Star" box (which has a drawing of a topless woman) on my screen when stopping by my cubicle, they might complain to HR and end up causing me a pretty significant irritation. I probably wouldn't get fired, but I probably would be told "Visit that site again during work time and you *WILL* be fired."

You can say that people with that attitude (nudity and sex must be kept hidden away at all costs) are sickening. Maybe America has more people with that attitude than Europe does. It doesn't matter. The fact is, this attitude is common enough in the US that you sometimes have to make allowances for it, and whining about what weirdos a group of people are won't help anything.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
The Jakster wrote:

There are people like that all over the world, but America is their stronghold from my experience.


That's why this country was founded. The pilgrims were escaping sexual persecution and the general "looseness" of European countries. They came over here and put on high collars and low dresses to cover as much flesh as possible. They put on black because it was the highest contrast to human flesh. They would be able to see if anything of a womans that was naughty slipped out and then stone her to death for showing some ankle or lower back.

In America today this has caused women to subconsciously cover up their lower back and ankles with tattoos while exposing flesh. It's a defense against stoning.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Jung
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
taraba wrote:

In America today this has caused women to subconsciously cover up their lower back and ankles with tattoos while exposing flesh. It's a defense against stoning.

Okay, and now I want to see your explanation for the piercings.... devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
Ultraman, here he comes from the sky. Ultraman, watch our hero fly!
badge
Hi, I'm Ultraman! Home: Nebula M78 Height: 40 meters Weight: 35,000 tons Age: 20,000 years old Flight Speed: Mach 5
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
I don't want to alarm anyone, but all of these "meeples" I've been seeing on this site, they're naked! Please cover their shame immediately!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
Why is there always so much fuss about sex with americans?!?


Have you ever had sex with Americans?



Yes....have You??
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Porn Star" game showing up in the four images at the bo
kernst67 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
Why is there always so much fuss about sex with americans?!?
It´s sickening me.
Violence seems alright, but if a female nipple shows up (which might not even have been the case at this point) they scream:"Somebody proctect our children!".
You're right, I think it's more about children who might visit BGG than about the adults. If my children go to BGG looking for a game, I don't want them to have a game about pornography staring them in the face, and yes, I monitor my kids when they are on the internet, they're 10 and 8 years old.


I think you may have misunderstood... You DISAGREE. The original post was saying that it is BAD that Americans say porn=bad and violence=good, when teaching our children to shoot people seems like a less desirable habit than teaching them to have sex.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.