Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Here is a first rule draft of my "Heroes of Wagenscross" mod.

Please give me feedback if you can make sense of the rules and what you think in general.

Thank you!

************HEROES OF WAGENSCROSS**************

Introduction

This mod adds a background story and a progression system to the quest cards from the MYTH base box, allowing your heroes to advance to Journeyman with just the components you already own.
Your adventures will be centered around the town of Wagenscross, where you’ll aquire quests from iconic characters like Marcus the Ready, The Two Fathers and others. Between quests the so called “Town Events” will draw you deeper into the story of the rising Darkness around Wagenscross and your ascend to become powerful heroes.

General Setup

Prepare the 4 Quest decks (Marcus the Ready, The Two Fathers, Wilderness and Quest Event) as described under “Quest Deck Setup”. Place all Quest decks within easy reach of all players. The area containing the Quest decks represents the town of Wagenscross, where your heroes will come to gain new quests and rest.

Hero Setup

Each player picks one hero. It is recommended, that you start with a new hero when you play this mod.
Give each hero his / her standard starting deck of 25 cards (no advanced, green flame cards) and brown starting gear.

Darkness board and Darkness deck Setup

Use the “Terror with a 1000 legs” Darkness deck for this mod. Shuffle the deck and place it on the Darkness board. Set AP to zero.

Treasure Bag Setup

Reset the treasure bag to the following count:

30x white treasure token
15x green treasure token
0x blue treasure token.

Town Events Setup

Important: DON’T read through the Town Events before playing! Only reveal them one by one whenever you’ve completed a quest (see “Town Events” for details).
It is recommended you print the “Town Events” table (a simple b/w version is included at the end of these rules) and then cover each page with a blank sheet of paper, revealing events only one by one as you progress further.

Quest Deck Setup

Marcus the Ready
I like my odds
For Glory and Honor
A desperate Act
Set the Trap
Light the Fires

The Two Fathers
Get Tactical
The Abbey Coffers
The Two Fathers

Wilderness
The Weaver’s Needs
Stolen Treasure
A Just Okay Hunt

Quest Event Deck
All remaining quests.

Shuffle the 3 quest decks. Place a cover card on each Quest deck

How to start playing

Read the “Story Introduction” from the “Town Events”. This will set the scene for your upcoming adventures.
When you first arrive in the town of Wagenscross you’ll have 3 Quest decks available to you (the number will grow, as you delve deeper into the story): “Marcus the Ready”, “The Two Fathers” and “Wilderness”.
Each Quest deck only contains quests, that belong to the respective character(s) they are named after. The Wilderness deck contains all the quests, that don’t belong to a specific character.
There are 6 actions available to the heroes while they are in town:

Gain a Quest: To start your adventure, you must gain a quest (see “Gaining a Quest” for more details). This should be your first action after reading the “Story Introduction”.
Play a Quest: Choose one of your active Quests (see “Gaining a Quest” for more details on active quests) and play it.
Going on patrol: If your last played tile had a quest, you may choose to go on patrol (see “Patrolling” for more details).
Rest: Heal and restore your heroes between quests (see “Resting” for more details)
Cancel a Darkness event: This is a special action only available while certain Town Events are active (see “Town Events for details).
Solve a Rumor event: This is a special action only available while certain Town Events are active (see “Town Events for details).

Gaining a Quest

“Marcus the Ready” and “The Two Fathers” Quest decks:
Remove the cover card and draw the top card of the quest deck. The drawn quest now becomes one of your active quests. You can’t draw more cards from a quest deck until you’ve completed its active quest. Place the cover card on the remaining quests and the active quest on top of it.

Important: Gaining a quest doesn’t mean, you have to play it right away. You usually want to reveal the top card from both the “Marcus the Ready” and the “The Two Fathers” deck to give you some options.

The “Wilderness” Quest deck:
When gaining a quest from the “Wilderness” deck, you MUST immediately play it. This represents the heroes walking out into the wild, looking for adventure.

Setting up a Quest

When you have decided to play a quest, first use 1 FD to roll for the quest location and enemy selection on the table below:

Nature: random 6x6 - 1 Crawler Hunting Pack
Faith: random 6x6 - 2 Grubber Hunting Packs
Guile: choose 6x6 - 1 Crawler Lair + 1 Grubber Hunting Pack
Arcane: random 12x12 - 1 Crawler Lair
Rage: random 12x12 - 1 Grubber Lair + 1 Grubber Hunting Pack
Darkness: choose 12x12 - 1 Crawler Lair + 1 Grubber Lair

You may pay 2 Serendipity to re-roll but you must accept the second result.
Hunting Packs always have a size of 3 minions + 1 minion per player.
Each Lair comes with its initial spawn.

Then follow the setup instructions on the quest card. You must fulfill both the setup conditions from your roll and the quest card!
If a quest calls for a specific monster type and your roll doesn’t include that monster type, the result of the roll (in respect to the monster-type) is overwritten.

Example: You have a quest that calls for 1 Grubber Lair. Before setting-up the quest, you roll on the quest location table and get a “Guile” result:
You randomly select a 6x6 tile to play the quest on because of your location roll.
You then place a Grubber Lair with its inital spawn on the tile, because the monster-type of your location roll (Crawler) is overwritten by the quest (Grubber). The lair you place fullfils the lair requirement for both your location roll and your quest.
You then place 1 Grubber Hunting Pack because of your location roll.

Completing a Quest

In this mod, you only get 1 attempt at each quest, so better be ready and plan your actions wisely! When you have completed a quest - no matter if you succeeded or failed, it is put into the quest discard pile. Then a new town event (see “Town Events”) is revealed and executed.
After the town event you can either gain / play a new quest or decide to rest (see “Resting”).

Quest Chains

Some quest may tell you to add an additional quest to the quest deck. When this happens, you have two options:

Add the new quest to the same quest deck as its predecessor’s, then shuffle all unrevealled quest cards of this deck and put the current, active quest back on top of it.
Finish the resolution of your current, active quest (including Town event) then put the new quest on top of the same deck as its predecessor’s. The new quest becomes active at once and you must play it as your next quest.

Patrolling

Heroes that choose to go patrolling, help the city watch of Wagenscross to keep the lands and roads around the town clear of marauding monsters.
In game terms, patrolling allows the heroes to play a random tile with a trap and without a quest. This can be useful to gain Serendipity for a particular difficult quest or just to farm gold and equipment after resting.

Nature: random 4x6 - 1 Crawler Hunting Pack - Poison Darts
Faith: random 4x6 - 1 Grubber Hunting Pack - Floor Spikes
Guile: random 4x12 - 1 Crawler + 1 Grubber Hunting Pack - Falling Ceiling
Arcane: random 4x6 - 1 Crawler Hunting Pack + 1 Captain - Hurn’s Pitfall
Rage: random 4x6 - 1 Grubber Hunting Pack +1 Captain - Whirlwind of Steel
Darkness: random 4x12 - 2 Grubber Hunting Packs + 2 Captains - Consuming Darkness

Resting

Until your party of heroes decides to rest, all quests you play are considered to be one long act. This means, that heroes will keep all resources (gold, items, Serendipty etc.) until the very moment they decide to rest. It also means, the heroes have to rely on their own abilities to restore vitality, cure negative conditions like poison or deal with any other negative ongoing effects during the course of an act.

When the party decides to rest, do the following:

Reset AP to 0
Defeated heroes are revived
All heroes recover all lost vitality
All heroes clear any status effects like “Poison” or “Cursed”
All Gold the Heroes have earned up to this point is discarded
All Serendipity the Heroes have earned up to this point is discarded.
All items the Heroes have earned up to this point are discarded.

Resting represents the heroes taking their time to mend all wounds and to fully recover from their past adventures. This comes at a price though, as the Inn keeper, Healer, etc. all want to be paid…

Town Events

Town Events happen every time right after the heroes have completed a quest. They happen automatically and you MUST execute them.
When you have to do a Town Event, reveal the top most, hidden Town Event from the Town Event table, read the story text, then execute the event. Town Events are classified into the following 5 categories:

Boon: A boon is an instant event, that usually does something good for the heroes. Once revealed, it must be executed completely before the heroes can do anything else.

Rumor: A rumor usually represents an additional challenge the heroes can face to gain a specific reward. Completing a rumor is totally optional. A rumor is active until a new rumor is revealed from the Town events.

Darkness: Darkness Events represent the Darkness taking actions against the heroes. Darkness Events are always bad for the heroes. Darkness Events remain active until the heroes have fulfilled a special condition - like discarding certain resources.

Quest: Quest Events introduce new Quest. When a Quest Event is triggered, search the Quest Event deck for the card named and start a new Quest deck with it.

Advancement: These events represent the heroes growing stronger and more experienced because of their adventures. Once revealed, an advancement must be executed completely before the heroes can do anything else.
Important: Advancements are not reset during resting.

Advancements explained - Leveling up your heroes

Keeping items: Many of the advancements will allow the party to keep an item of a certain tier. This replaces the official rule, where you are allowed to keep any one item per title. When you have played through this mod you can just switch back to the official rules.
Items the party decides to keep are not discarded during a rest action. When a “kept” item is sold or leaves the party’s possession by any other means, the advancement is lost, as each “kept” item is considered to be unique.

Gaining 1 deck manipulations: All heroes may swap 1 hero card from their hero deck with 1 advanced hero card.

Gaining a title: All heroes will gain the title. Gaining a title in this mod will not allow you to keep an item!

Town Event Table

01 Boon: The Welcome: Gain 1 Serendipity

02 Advancement: All heroes gain 1 deck manipulation

03 Rumor: The Witch: Successfully complete a quest from the Wilderness Deck to gain 1 anti-venom potion.

04 Advancement: The party may keep 1 green item or gain 3 Gold.

05 Darkness: Eyes in the Shadows: Add the Whrilwind of Steel trap to your next quest.

06 Advancement: The party may keep 1 green item or gain 3 Gold.

07 Rumor: The Forsaken Tome: Successfully complete a Quest using the 12x12 cemetery tile. All minions on that tile gain “Resurrection”. When the tile is cleared gain the green item “Forsaken Tome”.

08 Advancement: All heroes gain 1 deck manipulation

09 Quest: Search the Quest Event deck for “Rescue my daughter” and reveal it. This must be the next quest you play. Start a new “Lucy” quest deck.

10 Advancement: The party may keep 1 green item or gain 3 Gold.

11 Darkness: The Creeping Death: You can’t rest until you can discard 1 anti-venom potion per hero.

12 Advancement: The party may keep 1 green item or gain 3 Gold

13 Rumor: The Antidote: Add 1 Stalker to a quest. That Stalker has all his stats doubled. When you defeat the Stalker, cancel “Creeping Death”.

14 Advancement: Once the “Creeping Death” event has been cancelled, the heroes receive the title “Blessing of Wagenscross”.

15 Boon: Travelling Merchants: Draw 3 random merchants.

16 Advancement: The party may keep 1 green item or gain 3 Gold.

17 Quest: Search the Quest Deck for “The Accidental Cure” and reveal it. This must be the next quest you play. Start a new “Emberweave” quest deck.

18 Advancement: 1 hero may keep 1 green item or the party gains 3 Gold

19 Darkness: Magic Storm. Add the Chain Lightning trap to every quest. The trap can’t be disarmed. Complete all Emberweave Quests and discard 10 Gold to cancel “Magic Storm”.

20 Advancement: All heroes gain 1 deck manipulation

21 Rumor: Dark Emissary: You may choose to roll a FD when setting-up a new quest. When you roll [F] or [D] add the “Avatar of Winter” as an enemy. When you defeat the Avatar, gain 1 green and 1 blue item.

22 Advancement: The party may keep 1 blue or green item

23 Darkness: Dawn of Evil: You can’t gain Serendipity. When you defeat the “Terror with a 1000 legs” boss, cancel “Dawn of Evil”

24 Advancement: The party may keep 1 blue or green item

25 Rumor: Swords for Hire: Pay 15 Gold to gain an Ally of your choice for your next quest

26 Advancement: All heroes gain 1 deck manipulation

27 Quest: Search the Quest Deck for “To Cut off the Head” and reveal it. Start a new “The Terror” quest deck.

28 Advancement: 1 hero may keep 1 blue or green item

29 Boon: A second chance. You may return any quest or quest chain from the quest dicard pile into play.

30 Advancement: All heroes gain the title:

• [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I are starting new heroes tonight seems like this is a good place to start. I'll update u with how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thank you Stevie, that sounds awesome.

You can find the intro by Redmick here:
http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/2180/more-inf...

Things, still on my list for this mod:

- Rule clean-up and re-write
- Add Redmick's fluff texts, when he's ready
- Make a pretty PDF

It will really help to know, if you got up and running using these rules and where you still have questions or where stuff is unclear.

Again, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobi,
So we could never really get going. It was our own fault though. We did a 2 player party with the Soldier and the Swashbuckler. I don't recommend it, but hey we never did this combo before. We are going to try again (unfortunately) in 2 weeks with a well rounded 4 player group (Swashbuckler, Acolyte, Apprentice, and Brigand).

Here is how it went:
* We first read the Story Introduction ... Since there isn't one yet (and I was too lazy to jump to the megacon site for Redmick's fluff) there was just a "Welcome to Wagenscross!"
* We drew a Quest from the 2 Ally quest decks
* The Two Fathers
* I Like My Odds
* We decided to go patrolling first and rolled a darkness - Darkness Falls trap
* We setup a random 4x12 and populated The Darkness board with 4 treasure drops per the 4x12 rules
* We beat the tile by the skin of our teeth, almost triggering the miniboss
* As a side note we created a "save point" and did a "what if" scenario. The way we do these is we say look at everything you have now and where everything is, do your "what if" and no matter how it turns out good or bad you reset back to the save point. Towards the end of the tile we wanted to see if we could survive triggering the miniboss. (It now seems obvious, but there was no way we could have beaten ANY of the minibosses)
* We only took 2 serendipity for the trap (see question below). Other gains got the robe for a green item, some useless green item I dont remember and 2 gold. Called in Three Dunes. Sold the useless item and then bought 2 Vitality potions (because we play unlimited potions at merchants if they carry them)
* Swashbuckler drank one immediately as he was at 1 life
* Went back to town and then went on the Marcus quest
* Basically died after some time because we had no way to heal poison

Questions:
* Setting up a tile - Do we follow anything on the tile legend like treasure drops and rewards (gold, merchant, etc)?
* At the end of the patrol with the Darkness Falls would you get 4 serendipity? 2 for the trap and 2 for the tile legend?
* Merchant: Is there a merchant in town?

Thoughts:
* Our plan for this extended campaign is to play with the 4 hero group and if one hero goes down you run patrols to get enough serendipity to resurrect them without losing all your stuff.
* Going back to town seemed meh. Our choices were Quest or Patrol. The "Events" are large happenings after quests, but maybe if there were some minor happenings in between patrols. The reason why I say this is because there is no real sense that we went back to town. Almost like we chained the patrol and the quest.
* Rest is not really a choice, but more a way to reset from a bad situation. Until you can actually effect something like a deck manipulation or treasure bag change, you are basically starting from square 1 again. It will be more effective later on as you gain some momentum
* I don't recommend a 2 hero party as written unless one is the Acolyte (sweet spot is probably 4 heroes)

Recommendations:
* Rest. Change this to read: Until your party of heroes decides to rest, all quests and patrols you play are considered to be one long act.
* Optional potion vendor - if a group wants to play with heroes that do not have a way to remove status effects nor heal. If you do have these heroes, then this may make the module to easy which is why I said optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi Stevie,

thank you so much! That's some great session report, feedback post! Really, really appreciated. Let me try to address some of your points:

Patrolling: Do you like the concept of it? I'm asking, because I put it in rather at the end, when everything else was more or less finished, because I realized the 4x6 and traps won't get used much / at all.
To prevent abuse (Serendipity farming) I wanted to limit it to 1 patrol after each completed quest. Still not sure.
On a side note: I think you played the wrong trap on your 4x12. It's the "other" Darkness trap I chose that one on purpose, because I didn't want the chance of a mini-boss appearing...

Resting: The idea here is indeed a kind of "push-your-luck" mechanic. From your comments I take it, you didn't read ahead with the Town Events! (good man! ) because there are indeed quite a few events, that let you keep equip and upgrade your heroes, so resting isn't really that punishing.

Setting up a tile: Yes, you follow the tile legend, so when you clear the tile you get all the usual rewards. Even the FD roll takes the tile legend into consideration, so you don't end up with something "illegal".

Merchant in town + more options in town
; This is something I've been thinking about quite some time. In the beginning I had a healer, blacksmith, inn keeper... but I felt like it was over-complicating things and taking the focus away from the quests. But I totally get that you want a more "towny" feeling and more options. Perhaps you can re-evaluate this, when you've seen / played a few more of the events.

If you compare this to "normal" adventure mode, would you say, it is more fun, more interesting to play or is it just a bunch of additional rules, without changing much?

Again: THANK YOU for taking the time to test this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrolling - I like the concept a lot. I say if a group wants to farm then let them farm. You may be trying to resurrect a comrade. It's a way to get some stuff, but I think just the general feeling that you are not advancing the module is enough to kick the group into the quests.

Resting - that's good to know!

Comparing it to normal adventure mode this is definitely more fun. I actually do not think there is a lot of extra rules as a matter of fact I think my comments wanted a few more . It actually puts some structure around the quests and I like that a lot. I also really like the home base concept. We will tackle it again in 2 weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! Looking forward to your second test run!

I get, that you want "more rules" , but this is a mod for "beginners" and
"base-box-only" MYTH players. That's one of the reasons why I want to keep things simple.

Perhaps I can add some "advanced" rules. IMHO my "Scars of Destiny" mod or the "MYTH: Trainers" would fit perfectly into this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
New title desciption "Blessing of Wagenscross"

“Blessing of Wagenscross”: Whenever you draw a random merchant from the merchant deck, you may choose to return it and draw a new one. The second merchant must then be encountered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.