Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't find this on a forum search.

If Olympus Conference is in play ("When you play a science tag . . ."), and I play a card with (say) two science tags, do I get to activate OC twice? I'm leaning towards "Yes", but it would have been clearer if it said something like "For each science tag you play . . ."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
I didn't find this on a forum search.

If Olympus Conference is in play ("When you play a science tag . . ."), and I play a card with (say) two science tags, do I get to activate OC twice? I'm leaning towards "Yes", but it would have been clearer if it said something like "For each science tag you play . . ."

There is only 1 card with 2 Science tags. That is Research and it specifies on the card that it counts as playing 2 science card. So you do activate Olympus conference twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But Olympus Conference doesn't reference playing cards, or playing cards with a a science tag, it references playing tags. To me "counts as playing two cards" has more impact on your turn (can only play this card on your turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
But Olympus Conference doesn't reference playing cards, or playing cards with a a science tag, it references playing tags. To me "counts as playing two cards" has more impact on your turn (can only play this card on your turn).

A science card is a card with a science tag, so if you play 2 science cards, it is the equivalent to playing 2 cards with that tag which meets the requirement to activate Olympus Conference twice.

Also I notice that the designer has thumbed my reply suggesting that it is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:

A science card is a card with a science tag, so if you play 2 science cards, it is the equivalent to playing 2 cards with that tag which meets the requirement to activate Olympus Conference twice.

Also I notice that the designer has thumbed my reply suggesting that it is correct.

A) I could continue to split hairs here, but since my inclination was to allow Research to activate Olympus Conference twice in the first place, I will concede the point.

B) Very good point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of wordings are not completely logically clear. They would mostly confuse a Computer Intelligence. Thankfully, we are human non-fully logic intelligences and we are able to understand those meaning even if the wording may be vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
I could continue to split hairs here, but since my inclination was to allow Research to activate Olympus Conference twice in the first place, I will concede the point.

No need to ruin your or anyone's hair, as your specific question about Olympus Conference + Research has been answered by the designer in Counts as playing two Science Cards:

Fryxen wrote:
Yeah, we found it pretty awkward to say 'play tag', so it became a bit of a mix. The thing to remember is that the text is only explaining the icons, unless there is an asterisk to mark a special rules exception. In this case, we wanted the players to understand 1) that the two science tags were not a printing error, and 2) that it would trigger twice on Mars University and Olympus Conference.

Edit: The same principle is applied to other cards as well - if you play a card which has several tags, then effects from other cards you already have in play can get triggered several times by it (once for every single triggering tag).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.