13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Savage worlds RPG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JustNat Bros Meyer
msg tools
Hi,

I have been looking at rpg games, and "Savage Worlds" looks great.
Would you recommend it?

Though I cant help but feel that it lacks skill, and strategy.
Are there any other rpg games out there that involve skill?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am not very much into RPG and am not familiar with Savage Worlds.

However, hubby plays RPG's a lot and I can state that usually they are set up okay so if the theme seems something your group would like, run with it.

Hubby's group has played D&D, Shadowrun, Vampire, Star Trek, Star Wars (an older version found on the internet with only D6) to name a few. They try and vary a lot of different themes and platforms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPG's are more about story and character development than skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiai Weidemann
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustNat Bros wrote:
Hi,

Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

I have played Savage Worlds for years. I do recommend it. I would call it rules lite, and it definitely has issues. It simplifies things. I like that a lot. It has a fine skill/edge system. Are there better ones yes, but it is really simple and again I like that. There can be strategy, but only if you use miniatures. It is lite.

All that said, why do I like the system. Two main reasons. first, RPG's are more about storytelling and role playing and the system does not seem to get in the way much. Second it is cheap. You can get into the game for about 10 bucks. That is awesome and makes it really high on my list to give it a try.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiaiweidemann wrote:
JustNat Bros wrote:
Hi,

Would you recommend it?

I have played Savage Worlds for years. I do recommend it. I would call it rules lite, and it definitely has issues. It simplifies things. I like that a lot. It has a fine skill/edge system. Are there better ones yes, but it is really simple and again I like that.

I would say rules-medium but yes it is a fine RPG (and incidentally can be a fine minis combat game too).

The OP may want to click over to rpggeek (click RPGs on your top-bar) and find out more information.

Quote:
All that said, why do I like the system. Two main reasons. first, RPG's are more about storytelling and role playing and the system does not seem to get in the way much. Second it is cheap. You can get into the game for about 10 bucks. That is awesome and makes it really high on my list to give it a try.

Absolutely it is cheap to enter. If the OP wants to try without even putting $10 on the table there is a Free test drive set in Lankhmar which should give some help as to whether it is what he is looking for. Of course a set of polyhedral dice and a group of friends will be needed.

Another thing to think about is settings. Savage Worlds has a lot of settings so should fit with most types of game the OP would want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustNat Bros wrote:

What do you mean "skill". As people have said RPG games are more about story than player skill. Although there is one game which is based around a Jenga mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JustNat Bros Meyer
msg tools
thanks for the great replies guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JustNat Bros Meyer
msg tools
This helps, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiaiweidemann wrote:
JustNat Bros wrote:
Hi,

Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

I have played Savage Worlds for years. I do recommend it. I would call it rules lite, and it definitely has issues. It simplifies things. I like that a lot. It has a fine skill/edge system. Are there better ones yes, but it is really simple and again I like that. There can be strategy, but only if you use miniatures. It is lite.

Hope this helps.

Plus, Savage Worlds has Day After Ragnarok !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustNat Bros wrote:
Hi,

Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

If you're wanting competitive rpg play (which it sounds like you might from your comments on skill), you may want to look at tournament modules.

The D&D classic Tomb of Horrors (DM Reward Program Adventure) is a good place to start.

On the other hand, if you're talking about hard player skills (so players need to be able to fight, do stealth etc) that isn't really found in tabletop rpgs. It's more of a LARP thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Guest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Some RPGs are about story, others are more about skill. The traditional/stereotypical Dungeons and Dragons dungeon crawl is very often played as a game of using the abilities and resources of a group of characters against the challenge of the dungeon/DM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Guest
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
JustNat Bros wrote:
Hi,

Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

Most RPGs involve skill at some level or other. Some focus more of story and character development, verging on collaborative story telling. Others are much more focused on skill in the sense of strategy and tactics.

Savage Worlds is an RPG system that as pretty simple/light at its core but if you really dive in to the system and use it as intended (rather than cutting corners as many folks do) it is quite a crunchy, tactical game.

There are many other RPGs out there, different systems, different settings, different genres. Asking for an RPG recommendation is a lot like saying "hey guys, recommend a board game to me", it is really too broad a question and most folk will just recommend their favourites :-)

I like Savage Worlds, I like that it can be played as a simple RPG where the system fades in to the background and that it can be played full throttle with all the options on, using miniatures and maps for combat.

There are also shed loads of settings available for it produced by lots of different people and companies so there is always something else to take my fancy.

My advice would be to get hold of the free starter pdf (I presume that is still available) and see what you think. Have a look at some of the other free starter pdfs for other games and from other companies too, might as well see if something jumps out at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andyguest wrote:
Some RPGs are about story, others are more about skill. The traditional/stereotypical Dungeons and Dragons dungeon crawl is very often played as a game of using the abilities and resources of a group of characters against the challenge of the dungeon/DM.

Agreed, typically described as crunchy vs fluffy/narrative.

D&D (particularly 3, 3.5, 4 and Pathfinder) are all tactical skirmish games with some roleplaying thrown in (which is vastly what I prefer having played all sorts). At the other end of the scale you have games that are narrative improv with no dice, no combat, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.