Subject: So yeah, what is happening in Germany? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is Mein Kampf a best seller?
https://www.yahoo.com/news/hitlers-mein-kampf-becomes-german...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
If someone says that you can't have something it makes you want it more. I bought the e-copy of the pre-SJW versions of Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn for the same reason, doubt I'll ever read either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with a revival of Nazism, but rather just a curiosity of what the book was about. Wasn't it banned in Germany for some time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
If someone says that you can't have something it makes you want it more.

Well Mein Kampf is now out of copyright which helps.

But the edition that is selling well is a heavily annotated version (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/02/23...). This story was also reported upon by the BBC in June 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
TheDashi wrote:

Why are the Kardashians famous?

I'm sorry, I thought this was a thread for questions where the only answer is:

People are stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume its because their demographics are shifting. The Muslims and Nazis sure hated the jews.
And they dont appear to fond of the Christians either.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/01/03/dortmund-mob-atta...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Sorry to disappoint, but this did not happen. Considering the links in the article, Breitbart doesn't seem to have employees understanding German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big tragedy is that the book did not have a much wider audience and readership BEFORE he came to power. Had more people read it and truly realized how screwed up he was, they may have been far more careful in helping him acquire power and position. The fact that his ideology was for the most part ignored or trivialized will remain as a dark stain on the German conscience for quite some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I assume its because their demographics are shifting. The Muslims and Nazis sure hated the jews.
]

Of course the Jewish falling out with Arabs and vice versa is a post war thing. Until the nineteenth century (or perhaps late eighteenth century) there was nowhere better for Jews than Muslim states. Jews were formally oppressed in Catholic countries relatively recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Boy, flying off the shelves! At a rate of about 1 per every 1000 Germans.

By contrast 400k Harry Potter books sold on the first day in Germany, and that was just the German edition. The English edition finished the year as the 3rd biggest selling book of the year in Germany.

As a historical curiosity to 4 generations who have never had access, but yet have been so impacted by the book, I find 1 in 1000 to be so low as to be rather remarkable.

Actually we did have access to it. Original copies were still in wide circulation and annotated copies were available, not to speak of the internet. If you wanted to read it, you have. I know I did, if only in parts because it's a huge bore once the novelty wears off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.