Subject: New rules update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any update on the release of the new English rules? We have put playing the game anymore on hold until we have good rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last update (on the 13th of december) stated:

Monolith wrote:
Regarding the V2 rules

The French version of the overlord's booklet is almost finished.
The English version of the hero book is in progress.
The hero booklet in French has been updated as a result of your feedback. The latest version is available here:
http://www.monolithedition.com/download/rules/CONAN_barbaria...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting, Itai has put up the most recent update from Monolith. It's such a great game, but the waiting for information on the progress of the revised English rulebook is killing me. Things will ( hopefully ) start to gather pace now that the holidays are behind us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes sir! I stopped in my tracks for learning the system. I get most of it but man the rulebook is killing me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look at the positive side of this.
Having the revised rulebook at some point creates a lot of re-playability
the same scenario won't feel the same compared to a current game with rule decisions made on the fly...
and those games are still fun, even if you missed some rules or ruled stuff different than intended - a bit rule creativity as a side show is also entertaining

ok, depends a bit on the group you are playing with
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the rulebook will include corrected translations and fixed omissions that have impacted the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Eddie, it would be really nice if you could add a ? at the end of the subject. At the moment it looks like you have some news about the rules update and not would like to know if someone else has some...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@all: Can someone explain why the current rule books are that awful?

We read the rules and played the game once. Except two or three questions we thought that all we read felt quite right and understandable and natural. So either we played it totally wrong but did not notices it or the rule books are not that bad as it sounds here and there.

At least I for myself don't understand at the moment why someone is waiting for the updated rules before playing it the first time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:

We read the rules and played the game once. Except two or three questions we thought that all we read felt quite right and understandable and natural. So either we played it totally wrong but did not notices it or the rule books are not that bad as it sounds here and there.

At least I for myself don't understand at the moment why someone is waiting for the updated rules before playing it the first time...

There are quite a few threads already discussing the omissions, translation errors and ambiguities in the rules.
A quick forum search should answer the question.

And when the revised rulebook comes out you will know if you played correctly or not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:

As mentioned before, the forum is full of discussions on it, but IMO it's not so much the rules as translation errors in the skills and scenarios. The "catastrophe of the rules" has, by and large, been blown way out of proportion - lots of us play the game just fine as it is written... once we learn about the various translation errors and account for them.

e.g. the English copy of the "Wall Wrecker" skill leaves out the word "stone", so Conan can run through Stone walls (which French Conan cannot). That same skill also mis-prints the cost of using the skill (it should be "2 extra movement" instead of "2 movement"). There's a rather long list of things like that.

i suggest starting at thread 1652548 for a complete list of known mistranslations and their corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d0gb0t wrote:

At least I for myself don't understand at the moment why someone is waiting for the updated rules before playing it the first time... :what:

For me, the big problem with the English rules is they don't look as bad as they actually are. There are some obvious errors or suspect translations, but there are also sections that look correct or are actually missing, and it's these that make the rulebooks a lot worse than some people make out. Look at wall wrecker - in the English rules, it's just as cheap for Conan to go through the walls of wooden huts as it is to go through through flaps, which isn't the case, and those extra gem costs can add up.over time. Also, given the size of the project funding and the time they've had, this bad a rulebook is pretty inexcusable (and I've been a staunch defender of the whole project, in general).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the explanation, maybe we were a little bit naive because we were such overwhelmed during our first game...

I will have a look at the suggested threads and will have a deep look at the version 2 rules then they are available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasenko Pasic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw French rules, and they look stunning! All I wanted,and I know this from just how it looks. Just begging where you, finally,have explained what all tokens and stuff are for...
Any ideas when we will have it in English?
I have no idea what is the problem with translation TBH, specially knowing amount of money they got from backers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuuq wrote:
I just saw French rules, and they look stunning! All I wanted,and I know this from just how it looks. Just begging where you, finally,have explained what all tokens and stuff are for...

All of the tokens have scenario-specific meanings defined in the scenarios. It was an unrecognized stroke of genius on Monolith's part to omit a list of "this token means that".

Unfortunately, though, it being unrecognized as brilliance meant that it just caused lots of confusion. Such is the line between brilliance and insanity :/.

Nuuq wrote:
Any ideas when we will have it in English?

"Late November [2016]" was their announced deadline, but it was obvious from the beginning that hitting that deadline would have meant leaving out much of the valuable feedback which was, at that point, just starting to roll in to BGG. So far no word on "when" for the English edition.

Nuuq wrote:
I have no idea what is the problem with translation TBH

That aspect of the project, on the other hand, clearly erred on the side of insanity :/.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Otavio Pereira
Brazil
flag msg tools
Finally they posted new rules for the game. The last update was in January 16.

The English version of the revised Heroes' book:

The French version of the revised Overlord's book:

The revised French version of the Heroes' book, updated after recent feedback:

The English version of the revised Overlord's book will be able at the end of next week.

I hope so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodarch wrote:
Finally they posted new rules for the game. The last update was in January 16.

That discussion is well underway in thread 1708738.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
THE New rules IN french are a pleasure to read. They are easy to read and to understand and all ambiguieties and harder to get concepts are rightfully explained. It feels as an updated version and it's perfect. Glory to Conan !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.