Subject: Setup for 5-6 players without Merlin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Bourigault
France
flag msg tools
Hi all !

This is an avalon-resistance question.

Back in 2010-2011, my group used to play the Resistance a lot, mostly with 8-10 players. Back then, only the "plot thickens" expansion was available.

We would like to play that game again, though this time we will probably be only 5 or 6.
So my question, obviously, is "what would be the best setup ?". I've discussed it with the group, and various things came out :
- My friend are not interested in trying Merlin.
- We do not like the concept of Excalibur

I was thinking about a regular game with lady of the lake, but it is said to be OP in a 5-6 players game. Maybe with only 2 turns of "Ladying" ?

Thanks !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
For 5, vanilla is very good. That is, no special rules. For 6, you need something to mix things up, as a 6-player game favors the rebels. IIRC, my go to was Excalibur. With no Excalibur and no Merlin module, you're only choices are Lady and Lancelot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest trying a game or two with Merlin as you might find you like it, and if you don't it's no big loss (well assuming you have a group who want to play and aren't going to be put off the game by playing a module they don't like).

Do you have The Resistance or The Resistance: Avalon?

If you don't play Merlin then none of the Avalon characters do anything in a 5-6p game - of the other 5 characters 4 require Merlin, Oberon (Blind Spy) is the only one who doesn't and with 2 spies it's the equivalent to playing with the blind spies variant from The Resistance.

So there are the expansions for The Resistance:

Defectors (Lancelot) - can be fairly chaotic so guessing you might not like.

Trapper Module - good and easy to play with Avalon - the leader chooses one extra player for each mission and after everyone has submitted pass/fail the leader picks one person to remove from the mission and looks at their submitted mission card.

Hunter module - I haven't played yet but I can't see someone who doesn't like Merlin liking it. You could try Deep Agent from this module though:

Deep Agent - does not know spies (but known by spies)

Plot Thickens:

Rogue module - one player on each team has their own objective, I've not played it much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Reverser, but it probably favors Rebels which is not what you want in a 6 player game. It's in Hostile Intent, so I assume OP does not have it.

It requires a third type of mission card (in addition to Pass and Fail) called Reverse. There is a rebel reverser who can either play pass or reverse, and a spy reverse who can play pass or reverse, but can't play fail.

You figure out the outcome of a mission, ignoring the 0-2 Reverse cards that were played. Then, if exactly one reverse card was played, you reverse the outcome. For example, Pass, Pass, Reverse, Reverse is a Success. Pass, Fail, Reverse is a pass.

The right play for the rebel reverser, I think, is to claim his role, which forces one of the spies to claim rebel reverser, which narrows things down for the resistance. The way that it can favor spies though, is that a rebel reverser might play a Reverse card on a good mission, causing it to fail.

Edit: Actually, given its novelty, it might be good for 6. It may help spies to mix things up, even if, after several plays, it would eventually settle into something that favor rebels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simboubou wrote:

My friend are not interested in trying Merlin.

Do you know why they aren't interested? It seems odd. Merlin is, for me and my group, the character that makes the game worth playing.

We rarely play games fewer than 7-player as we don't really like it, but on occasion it happens, and we then either play (a) Merlin, 3 Loyal Servants, Assassin + 1 Minion of Mordred (Merlin sees both bad guys) or (rarely) (b) Guinevere, Good Lancelot, 2 Loyal Servants, Assassin, Bad Lancelot. (Guinevere sees both Lancelots, but not Assassin).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Woodhouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Robrun wrote:
Simboubou wrote:

Do you know why they aren't interested? It seems odd. Merlin is, for me and my group, the character that makes the game worth playing.

We rarely play games fewer than 7-player as we don't really like it, but on occasion it happens, and we then either play (a) Merlin, 3 Loyal Servants, Assassin + 1 Minion of Mordred (Merlin sees both bad guys) or (rarely) (b) Guinevere, Good Lancelot, 2 Loyal Servants, Assassin, Bad Lancelot. (Guinevere sees both Lancelots, but not Assassin).

With Guinevere in play, do you still use the Lancelots switching alliegence mechanic? I'm sure I've tried it where they don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rundle
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosmic4z wrote:
Robrun wrote:
Simboubou wrote:

With Guinevere in play, do you still use the Lancelots switching alliegence mechanic? I'm sure I've tried it where they don't.

Oh yes, that's what makes the Lancelots special - otherwise they're just ordinary Loyal servants, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.