mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Does a monster turn to face a survivor whenever it attacks a target? Even reactions?

When a monster moves to attack a target, does it use the minimum amount of movement to be able to attack? Or is it the monster controllers choice?

Does an attack or intimidate that affects all targets affect knock downed survivors?

If a survivor is currently knocked down and a monster either collides with them or knocks them down again from some other effect, does their "timer" for when they stand up reset? I.e. Now they stand up at the end of the NEXT monster phase instead of the current phase?
Thanks
mateo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I always play it if the monster attacks it turns to face.

When moving monster it uses the shortest distance to the target, if there are multiple choices then the monster controller decides, if playing solo choose the worst option.

knockdowns don't stack

intimidate that affects all targets, affects all targets even knocked down survivors unless the intimidate action specifically states it affects threats. A knocked down survivor isn't usually considered a threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
I always play it if the monster attacks it turns to face.

When moving monster it uses the shortest distance to the target, if there are multiple choices then the monster controller decides, if playing solo choose the worst option.

knockdowns don't stack

intimidate that affects all targets, affects all targets even knocked down survivors unless the intimidate action specifically states it affects threats. A knocked down survivor isn't usually considered a threat.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure monsters do not automatically face the target during a reaction. They very plainly do not during some reaction attacks (such back kicks).

The facing happens during a "Move" (such as "Move and Attack Target" phrase). Notice that many reactions use a Basic Attack, which for most monsters has a Pick Target (ignored for the reaction) followed by a Move and Attack Target. The facing change comes from the Move portion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about when a monster does something like a full move away from the survivors, what happens in regards to facing then? Would it move then turn to face the suvivors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperAbobo wrote:
What about when a monster does something like a full move away from the survivors, what happens in regards to facing then? Would it move then turn to face the suvivors?

Normally, no (unless there were further instruction).

I.e., changing facing to be "away" from the survivors, full move, done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
I'm pretty sure monsters do not automatically face the target during a reaction. They very plainly do not during some reaction attacks (such back kicks).

The facing happens during a "Move" (such as "Move and Attack Target" phrase). Notice that many reactions use a Basic Attack, which for most monsters has a Pick Target (ignored for the reaction) followed by a Move and Attack Target. The facing change comes from the Move portion.

Yup. From the FAQ:

KDM FAQ wrote:
Turning to face the target is part of a Move & Attack action (pg.71, Core Game Book), so a monster will turn to face its target on most AI cards. In other cases, such as Hit Location cards, only turn the monster if instructed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever the monster moves and attacks, it also faces the target, unless otherwise stated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:

When a monster moves to attack a target, does it use the minimum amount of movement to be able to attack? Or is it the monster controllers choice?

Exactly what the OP asked, right?
When the monster moves to attack a target, you always put it facing the target.

The distinction is important, but is a specification that adds to the answer - the question was answered the first time around. Always good to specify, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thanks. So let's say the card says to move and attack a threat, but it is already adjacent to the threat but not facing it, would turning to face the threat occur, even though the monster doesn't have to "move"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
gorkel wrote:

When playing solo, you are free to choose which shortest path the monster takes, just as if you were the monster controller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.