Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Varga
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
those silly race names (found in the rulesbook) make any kind of immersion totally impossible for a game. please change them if it's not too late...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those race names are perfectly fine in my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It's what your going to call them anyway. Why make up unpronounceable names that no one will use?

I would change culturemoogs to artfarts, just to be clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike V
United Kingdom
South Brent
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Interest = plummeted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varga
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i dunno, that's kind of different.
"I'm going to call them XXX" can be a fun role-playing reference to how when humanity encounters something new and alien, they just give it some silly name that makes them easy to remember (and / or less scary?). that is pretty realistic. like, how I call the Hacan "Lions" and the Sardakk "Bugs" (etc) in Twilight Imperium.
But that's not how they call themselves. They should have a proper name for themselves (by which the game refers to them) and then let the players (the cocky humans) give them nicknames, like in real life they would.

but in the game, you play from these races' point of view.
you can't look at the board and be proud of your achievements as an "Explormord", that just makes you feel embarrassed about yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scorba wrote:
those silly race names (found in the rulesbook) make any kind of immersion totally impossible for a game. please change them if it's not too late...!

I take it you didn't play Mythtopia, then...? ;-)

I could be wrong, but I kind of get the impression that the silly names come from a designer who wants to focus on mechanical questions and would be just as happy to design an abstract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
The names are rubbish, but the blurbs about them are far more cringeworthy.

Quote:
The Culturemoogs are in to all the latest music and arty stuff
"Arty stuff"?? Who wrote that?! Why does the rulebook sound like a twitter feed?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Jackson
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urffff yeah... pretty awful stuff, and clashes with the excellent artwork style. It won't ruin the game for me and I'm still pre-ordering, since it's thankfully isolated and purely cosmetic, it's just... it really sticks out like a sore thumb. I get that the designer may not be into the theme enough to hit that slick sci-fi tone we're accustomed to, but... still... it is just so out-of-place amongst everything else I see for the game that you might as well have googled a sci-fi name generator and just tossed that in instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
The names are rubbish, but the blurbs about them are far more cringeworthy.

Quote:
The Culturemoogs are in to all the latest music and arty stuff
"Arty stuff"?? Who wrote that?! Why does the rulebook sound like a twitter feed?!

The same person who thought that "in to" means the same thing as "into," I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Who cares! The game is good - best in the trilogy. When I played it I had no idea what my species was called or those of the other 3 players and it didn't matter. Immersion was still there through what we did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Varga
Hungary
Budapest
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:

I take it you didn't play Mythtopia, then...? ;-)

I could be wrong, but I kind of get the impression that the silly names come from a designer who wants to focus on mechanical questions and would be just as happy to design an abstract.

indeed I haven't... oh well.

don't get me wrong, I maximally respect Wallace and love his game designs.
but it's not like he has to do everything alone.
after all, he didn't paint the illustrations himself, did he?
he realized that the illustrations are an important aspect of the game, which he's not good at, so he let someone else do it.
why did he fail to realize that the writing is also an important aspect? he could have hired someone who's a better writer than himself to write those race descriptions and find out some good sounding names and lore for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Who cares! The game is good - best in the trilogy. When I played it I had no idea what my species was called or those of the other 3 players and it didn't matter. Immersion was still there through what we did.
Well I kinda do care. I want the game to be successful and all, and I find them fairly embarrassing and wonder if it may put people off, no matter how irrelevant they are.

IF there is backstory and theme, then doing it badly is worse than not doing it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scorba wrote:
after all, he didn't paint the illustrations himself, did he?
he realized that the illustrations are an important aspect of the game, which he's not good at, so he let someone else do it.
why did he fail to realize that the writing is also an important aspect? he could have hired someone who's a better writer than himself to write those race descriptions and find out some good sounding names and lore for the game.

I would like to thumb this post 700 times -- once for each game that it applies to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this is a turn off for me, and makes me think maybe lots of other aspects of the game feature this kind of lame and unimaginative stuff. Certainly won't preorder it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
achates wrote:
Yeah this is a turn off for me, and makes me think maybe lots of other aspects of the game feature this kind of lame and unimaginative stuff. Certainly won't preorder it now.

Your loss. The game is really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
achates wrote:

Your loss. The game is really good.

No, my loss would be spending money on a game and then disliking or being annoyed by many aspects of it. You see, different people value different things and respond differently. Not a difficult concept.

Little elements like this can often be strong indicators of a designer's approach and philosophy. Someone who had the same approach as me (and others here), looking for a strongly thematic science fiction game, would never choose names like this. Hence the posterior probability of it being something I would like is reduced substantially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I looked through the digital rulebook and I saw these names, I thought I must have somehow gotten a pre-publication copy with placeholder names.

It saps a lot of my confidence (and excitement) about getting the game knowing that they couldn't take this small aspect of the game seriously. Sure, names like this are always gibberish, but these names almost seem like they are making fun of the game. I think its particularly impactful since this is supposed to be this amazing culmination of all the previous lessons that the designer made over the course of his other games.

These are the exact types of names I would pick if I wanted to show someone that I didn't care about naming the races.

Even if this is a great game, I'm going to feel a bit embarrassed having recommended this game when it comes time to pick which race everyone should play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hammen
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not trying to be a jerk, but you did rate Bang The Dice Game a 10; did you read the character names there? Those are pretty awful as well. Did not prevent you from giving the game a 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PapaJoeBear wrote:
Not trying to be a jerk, but you did rate Bang The Dice Game a 10; did you read the character names there? Those are pretty awful as well. Did not prevent you from giving the game a 10.

Is this a light filler/party game too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lee
Canada
flag msg tools
Yeah I'd have to agree. The names don't mesh well with the serious and detailed aesthetic and artwork, or even with other naming conventions such as the planets. It's a small thing but for a game with a strong theme it doesn't commit to the parody and so the names are sort of awkward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PapaJoeBear wrote:

Bang is a pastiche of 1960s comic-book/spaghetti westerns, and the puns in the names are consistent with the comic art and wacky gameplay. If that's also the tone of this game, I missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foster
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It doesn't bother me. It's poking fun at self-serious genericism, and using eurogame pragmatism to cut to the chase. Instead of having to explain to a new player that the Xenbor-Clikzbet Zenothanes are the aggro military faction, you can say their role is in the name (Aggroloid). The naming convention also antagonizes those who take their pulp too seriously, which is another plane of humor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to play the CULTUREMOOOOOOOGS!

Bring it on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
derp de doo
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love the rich theme and setting of some games such as TI3 for example, at the end of the day we end up giving the races stupid nicknames anyways... "I want to be the space turtles again!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor S.
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scorba wrote:

No, no! You've got it backwards. Each races' motivation and intent are decided entirely by a player. The names and descriptions in the book are simply how others will view that race as you take those actions. Basically all of the negative stereotypes of your race - hence the simplistic (and cringe-worthy) text.

At least that's my take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.