Subject: What are people commonly playing with these days? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we've had some time with the new expansion, I'm just curious what a "typical" game of Eclipse looks like for everyone.

For me:

Races
All Standard & RotA races. No races from SotR. First player to arrive is Starting Player.
+ Mega War Inc
- Playtesting a couple of other races as we can

Technologies + Developments
We pretty much throw everything except Rift Cannon from SotR in to the bag. As soon as 12 rare techs come out, any other rare techs drawn are discarded.

We randomly or collectively pick a bunch of developments from all expansions.

Discoveries
We play with pretty much all the discoveries but hesitate to add Plasma Cannon, Soliton, or Rift Turret. We also don't play with the Time Distortion discoveries.

For our next game, I'm keen on throwing in a couple of player made discoveries: Terraformed World and Ancient Ambassador.

Ship Pack
Usually we're playing with the new ships if someone is Alien. If they're Terran, they get the "plain" ships.

We use a galactic playmat with an extra large tech board to make it easier to see from afar (except for rare techs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Entre
msg tools
A typical game...

3-4 players (which is just how many I'm likely to get at the same time from among my limited pool of Eclipse players)

Races
We randomly create a pool of N+2 races from among base, RotA, and SotR. Then players pick in reverse player order. At least some of my recurring players tend to pick the same races, so that forces them to pick different ones, and lets us see different match-ups. It also adds a little more penalty for 1st player in terms of race selection, reducing their options from 10+ to 3 when picking. Though newer players are allowed to pick any race they haven't tried before from outside the pool if they want.

A few games we've taken out Metasynthesis as a reaction to a few dominate wins involving it. We don't limit the number of rare techs even after adding SotR. Developments played normally according to the rules.

Discoveries
We don't do anything special here.

Tiles
We play with tiles from all expansions, with Ancient Homeworlds at setup for 3-4 players (and none mixed in with the IIs). In a 5 player game, I use the warp sector variant to make the galaxy symmetric.

Other house rules
Turn order variant with playing cards (I don't have ship pack 1 to make it "official").

Pinned ships can't influence adjacent empty hexes (It annoys me that it's different from exploration in the official rules).

We use the DGT Cube timer. It's been a while since I tried actually enforcing a total time per player with a point penalty (that wasn't a popular idea with my group), but I like to continue at least trying to use it to help keep people conscious of whose turn it is and how much time they're taking.

Octanis get a mulligan on their initial evolution pool (the option to redraw the pool of 5 at the start of the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
Races: one at a time the players get to select whatever race they want from all official expansions + the official santa expansion. Almost all 4 player games. My youngest who has played a handful of times just won his first time having selected the humans for the first time. I like to try out different strategies and pick something different every time.

with everything else we vote to see if it should be included.

Tech and Dev: We do all tech. I've been discarding the 4th instance of any tech that arrives. We don't play with customs or with Develpomets. There's always a race to buy tractor beams, antimatter splitters, and neutron absorbers.

Discoveries: we add all discoveries except the ones cnnected to other mechanics, like time rift, evolution, special warp portals, etc.. for those we only add them if we're playing with the relevant expansion.

Christmas expansoins: They are so fun! Over Christmas break we play every other day and always vote to have one or two in. Most recently gifts and rockets. I love the subtle change in gameplay these add. the Black Friday expansion is one of my favorite (anticipation of the elders). But you have to play it with original turn order rules.

Ships: Ship pack one customs add so much to the feel of the game. I even scavengenged a copy of Twilight Imperium to build a set for the Pyxis Unity, complete with death moon.

Slight note on the crystalline entities and their deep warp, we have voted to include them in the game 3 times now. They get discovered, but nobody messes with them in our games once discovered because the bigger points always seem to be in messing with your neighbor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Now that we've had some time with the new expansion, I'm just curious what a "typical" game of Eclipse looks like for everyone.

Currently I have two typical game types:

Basic, if there is at least one newbie at the table:

- 4-6 players (with Warp Sector Variant at less than 6)
- All Terran
- Base Game Material Only
- Turn Order Variant from Ship Pack one

Advanced, if everyone has at least one previous game and agrees to going with this version. Unless otherwise stated "from both expansions, no mini expansions" is assumed:

- 4-6 players (with Warp Sector Variant at less than 6)
- All Races available with Race Specific Ships where available
- All Rare Technologies (up to 12, additional draws are discarded)
- All Discoveries
- All Developments (chosen appropriate to player count)
- All Hexes except Ancient Hives, Ancient Homeworlds and Deep Warp Portals (and their Anomalies)
- Turn Order Variant from Ship Pack one
- No Alliances
- GCDS version chosen by player vote before the game

As somebody else mentioned the DGT Cube Timer: We also use it, but mostly for bragging rights/self discipline reasons and because it is a highly effective "current player reminder token"

We also play on a large vinyl space themed map with preprinted hex grid that does wonders as an eyecatcher at conventions and has been frequently quoted as "the main reason why they really like it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:

For me:

Races
All Standard & RotA races. No races from SotR. First player to arrive is Starting Player.
+ Mega War Inc
- Playtesting a couple of other races as we can

I don't have any idea what Mega War Inc is.

We use all the races. Generally (assuming a 4 player game, which is most likely), players 4 and 3 tend to be the new SotR races (as folks like taking them first; we use the standard rule of randomly determine seating and then players select races in reverse order of play).

Quote:
We pretty much throw everything except Rift Cannon from SotR in to the bag. As soon as 12 rare techs come out, any other rare techs drawn are discarded.

We randomly or collectively pick a bunch of developments from all expansions.

We use all the technologies (we are yet to pay attention to the "max 12" rare tech suggestion; as we usually play 4 player, it rarely matters); we use all the developments, and select them randomly as per the standard rules (N+1 random ones).

Quote:
Discoveries
We play with pretty much all the discoveries but hesitate to add Plasma Cannon, Soliton, or Rift Turret. We also don't play with the Time Distortion discoveries.

Using all the discoveries as well (including all the ones from the promo tile sets I have; I have all of them except Pulsar as that one seems too fiddly for me). There are so many discoveries in this case that any particular one is unlikely to show up in a given game, so we don't worry about them so much.

No one around here owns the Ship Pack, so we don't use that. Basically, we just use all the expansion stuff and follow the standard rules. Games work great. Everyone likes all the new SotR stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:
I don't have any idea what Mega War Inc is.

Fan made race. The guy who made it is actually a game designer.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1194406/variant-race-me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Races
We pick in reverse player order, but try to schedule that ahead of time so that I can have all the boards out by the time people arrive. Players are allowed to pair any color with any race. We use the turn order variant, but I prefer using cards instead of the track from RotA.

All Standard & RotA races (don't have SotR yet).
Lost Souls of Argalon
Psilon Technocracy - Trend Strong
Gnolam Trade Federation
Uyani Hive
Klackon Hive - Trend Weak
The Fixers - Trend Weak
Meklar Assembly - Trend Strong

Not opposed to more fan races as I usually build them upon request.

We often forget about developments, oops! Usually, if the Eridani are in the game, they will remind us to put them out.

We have yet to put the limit on rare tech, but also recognize the problem with research related races. I always include Eclipse: Techs of Archadium as in my opinion it adds a missing combat element (AoE). Yes, I am biased as it is my design.

Discoveries
Don't have the SotR discoveries, but we add in several Fan made discoveries: Terraform, Antimatter Missile, don't remember the others.

Ship Pack
Not only do I have the Ship Pack 1 ships, but 6 additional fleets of custom ships with the 3 additional colors of cubes/discs. My "Ship Pack Two"

Additional Content
We use the Warp Sector variant only with 5 players. Ancient Homeworlds in the empty locations for less than 5. Never shuffle in ancient homeworlds.

Eclipse: Rockets of Celebration make an appearance in about 1/3 of our games.

All the official hex promos are shuffled in, as well as Eclipse: Nebula - Fan Mini Expansion (it was available BEFORE the official Nebula tiles, but has a different effect).

In about half the games, I find some way to work in Eclipse: The Shadow Council - Leaders for Hire as I find they really add some thematic flavor and players enjoy having them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:

Lost Souls of Argalon
Gnolam Trade Federation
Uyani Hive
The Fixers - Trend Weak

How strong/weak are some of these? I was considering adding Psilon and The Fixers (maybe Meklar) in to our group's standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
My game groups usually have a mix of different player experience levels.

Races: Players can pick from all races but top players are usually discouraged from getting aggressive ones (specially Orion) any first time player plays humans as a rule. I encourage more skilled players to play unity eridani (even though they are aggressive) or shapers as I think they possess an extra challenge.

Techs: all techs, I don't bother counting rare techs showing up. Standard developments are in if there are no First timers.

Tiles: I usually enforce the deep warp portals and black hole to open up more interaction between players, I have not printed the warp sectors but want to.

I play with the tournament variant that allows to discard up to 3 exploration tiles per game taking -1 VP each time.

I have all expansions and favor ship pack one ships, I also often use Star Wars rebellion ships for any faction picking grey or bone color just for the fun and print the Star Wars race pics to lay over just for fun.

I have printed a vinyl playlist and also built a 3D tech display off a laptop raised base so the tech tiles can be seen from across the table.

Turn order ship pack one variant is a must.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of them are crazy overpowered or terribly weak. I marked the ones I felt trended one way, but I have seen the weak races win and the stronger races lose.

veector wrote:
Vanish wrote:

Lost Souls of Argalon
Gnolam Trade Federation
Uyani Hive
The Fixers - Trend Weak

How strong/weak are some of these? I was considering adding Psilon and The Fixers (maybe Meklar) in to our group's standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.