Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the app a few times and enjoy the theme and mechanics. I'm tempted to get the cardboard version, but wondered if it was worth it?

Although my family play some of my games, I would probably be playing Elder Sign solo a lot of the time if I bought it.

Is it worth getting the cardboard version? If so, could you please say what pro's the cardboard game would offer me?

What do you like about ES (cardboard) rather than the app?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The physical act of rolling the dice is probably the biggest thing. Also the expansions do things a bit differently than the app. I really enjoy the app though.

That said, if you're only going to get the base game I'd say it's not worth it. Getting the base game and all of the expansions does provide a unique enough experience to warrant it if you're a big fan of the game and enjoy playing solo games with physical components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the app for ES but I can say this about having board games in an app & owning the physical version, I like having both. I own both for the following; Lords of Waterdeep, Talisman, Puerto Rico, Zombie Dice & Kingsburg. I enjoy playing them in either format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
I have and play both. My preference is for the tabletop version, tho: I very much enjoy all the physical aspects of the game. Plus, the boardgame version has Gates of Arkham as expansion (something the app has not), and it's alone worth the investment. Finally, I enjoy a lot the resource management startingt from Gates (and moving onto the two Omens expansions) over what happens in the app implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marketing similarities aside, the ES app and the board game are two entirely different games. i LOVE the board game. i HATE the app rendition of it. i am unashamed to admit that i've rage-quit the app twice, on both Android and Steam. It is superficially the same game, but mechanically different enough that it's not (really) the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both and vastly prefer the tabletop version. I didn't know why at first. Mostly, my complaints are general to almost all real vs. digital comparisons:

* Real dice: For some reason digital cards don't bother me, but with digital dice, I feel like I'm telling someone how to play a game rather than playing it myself.

* More Space: The digital version feels cramped to me. With the physical copy I can spread everything out and I don't have to scroll around to examine different parts of the tableau.

* Freedom to Undo: This is the biggest to me even though I almost never need it when playing a real board game. In apps, however, it's so easy to mis-tap or make another kind of mistake that I would never make in real life, yet I make them in the app and I can't take them back. This is partly the fault of the interface, which I dislike.

There are advantages to app versions and I have to say I like, for example, the Android version of Paperback better overall than the card version. In the end, it's a balance of the advantages vs. disadvantages. For Elder Sign, the only advantage I can see is saved set-up time and that isn't nearly enough for me; I uninstalled the app after two plays and don't plan to ever load it again.

Edit: Not sure how this ranks given the price differentials, but the physical version of the game also has more content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't get the hate towards the app. I own both and enjoy them both immensely. If you get the boardgame, the Gates expansion is almost essential. The base game is way too easy, especially when compared to the app (the mythos cards in the base just don't add enough doom). I love the fact that the adventures are hidden in Gates (and Omens of Ice)- it presents a real challenge, and is much more interesting to play. There's much more variety in the boardgame, with the number of AO's to play against, too.

SGBeal, I can see why you might find the app challenging, but the only element that made me want to 'rage-quit' was the 'lose all of your supplies' event in the Ithaqua expansion, which is ridiculously difficult. I like the app very much, otherwise, especially the Cthulhu expansion- I still play it regularly on my train ride home from work, even though it's been out for a number of years. Wish FFG had continued to develop it, but it's just random enough to keep my interest. I think it's very much the same game, with just a handful of the rules streamlined to make it play cleaner. I sometimes miss the final battle, but the way it plays out in the board version can be tedious (the Grave Consequences expansion has a much welcome way to spice that up).

I do agree that rolling the dice yourself is somehow more satisfying- the tactile experience makes you feel like you're making your own destiny, as opposed to the app 'randomly' choosing it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and prefer the physical because the app messes up how spells work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Forsberg
Sweden
Norrköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
The boardgaming chef!
badge
"Anyone can cook but only the fearless can be great"
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say so. BUT, imho you need to get Gates of Arkham too. it makes the game so much better!

Also, i do play both. If i go solo its the app, and if i play with others ofc its the real deal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Siedschlag
United States
Orange Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to agree that the physical game is worth the purchase with the Gates expansion. With or without the expansion there is a lot of theme that come from the components that are lacking in the app. But the Gates expansion is a must for an overall better gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
I have both and prefer the physical because the app messes up how spells work.

Well, the only difference there is you can't hold onto spell'd dice results for the next investigator(s). Maybe it's just the way I play, but I rarely end up doing that in the boardgame- I almost always use spells for later tasks on the adventure I'm attempting, and almost never have any left over for the next guy. Probably depends on how collaboratively you play, and the app really is intended to play solo, I think.

I've also heard that you can spell a terror in the app to avoid a terror effect, but I don't think I've ever deliberately taken advantage of that. Some folks use that rule in the boardgame, but it feels like a cheat to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbur Whateley
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
On a slightly different note; is the difficulty on the app way higher than the board game? I play the iOS version and rarely win but regularly beat the board game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both, and while i enjoy the automation and special effects of the app, i prefer the cardboard. My biggest complaint about the app is that you can't quickly scan all the locations like you can with the board game. Though i will say the app is definitely worth it for portability on trips, flying, and lunch breaks if you don't have the table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys - really appreciate your comments. Very helpful.
I've ordered the base game plus Gates of Arkham!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
engstrom wrote:
On a slightly different note; is the difficulty on the app way higher than the board game? I play the iOS version and rarely win but regularly beat the board game...

The app is a bit more difficult, but nothing groundbreaking (i.e. after a while, you still win a lot). The campaign expansions for the app are on the other hand more challenging, with Ithaqua's expansion being definitely hard to beat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm just gonna drop this out there, in the context of everyone praising the GoA expansion: i'm in that small minority group who truly dislikes that expansion :/. GoA a non-stop gate-spamming fest, and i get no enjoyment out of that. Yes, i wish the core set was a tad bit more challenging, but GoT goes beyond challenging to inanely sadistic (not incidentally, much like the app!). :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sgbeal wrote:
i'm just gonna drop this out there, in the context of everyone praising the GoA expansion: i'm in that small minority group who truly dislikes that expansion :/. GoA a non-stop gate-spamming fest, and i get no enjoyment out of that. Yes, i wish the core set was a tad bit more challenging, but GoT goes beyond challenging to inanely sadistic (not incidentally, much like the app!). :-P

I've mentioned this before, but if you're finding GoA too big a jump from the base game, you could try mixing in some of the Mythos cards from the base game and/or Unseen Forces, as they all have the same backs. I don't like mixing too many in (no more than 10 or so) as I feel it dilutes the GoA feel, but it might help if you're finding gates coming out too quickly.

In my first couple of games with GoA I found it a bit of a "non-stop gate-spamming fest" too! But there is a learning curve, and it's actually not as horrific as it seems. It's really good once you wrap your head around it; it just requires different strategies from the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just bought the game along with a single expansion and got excited and bought the app for ipad.

Looking through the forums to find the differences and stopped here first to see if someone has posted all of the differences.

I see that there are some spell changes in the app. Which ones are they?

I also see advice that Gates of Arkham is a really good expansion (that I do not own yet). Good tip?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Nathnkilgore wrote:
I see that there are some spell changes in the app. Which ones are they?

There's a good list of differences here

Nathnkilgore wrote:
I also see advice that Gates of Arkham is a really good expansion (that I do not own yet). Good tip?

Yes, it's good, but it also makes the challenge a lot harder. So, get it once you're winning consistently core + UF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan kilgore
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the follow up Julia.
One more: Those bits were from 2011. My app is now 2017 current. I wonder if the updated version adjusted any of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
Nathnkilgore wrote:
Thanks for the follow up Julia.
One more: Those bits were from 2011. My app is now 2017 current. I wonder if the updated version adjusted any of this?

The app was recently updated so that's compatible with 64-bit architectures. I was playtester for the 64-bits version, and found no differences from the previous version in terms of rules and diversities. So, yeah, I'm pretty sure there are no changes ruleswise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This game is genuinely great and the expansions are top notch, but in my view, sorry to be a jerk, if you have and like the app, but want a better card board experience, get Eldritch Horror. I feel Elder Sign isn't ENOUGH shorter and less fiddly that it's worth what it is missing that Eldritch has for a physical version. Maybe I'm a jerk. IDK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.