BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: If you are crossing the street with a walk signal... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you look before stepping into the street, or do you just assume that because you have a walk signal, that everyone will stop and you have no fear about this?

I have noticed many many many many people that will not look for cars and will blindly step into the street. I can only believe they are operating under the assumption that EVERYONE else is absolutely complying with the rules.

Would you, in a world of texting, legalized pot, general millenial dumbassery, ever step out into the street without looking to see if a car is about to hit you?

What drives someone to operate this way anyways? Too much self entitlement? Craziness? Laziness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Back when I was a kid, you were taught to look both ways before crossing the street. Otherwise, those horse-drawn wagons would run you over.

Place this in the category of idiots who can't remember to use turn signal lights, do everything behind the wheel except pay attention, and drivers trying to figure out the Star Trek Enterprise's navigation display that passes for their dashboard these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to rely on my ears to tell me what was happening around me, but I had the crap scared out of me by a Tesla I didn't hear until it was a few feet away from me. I always look both ways now, no matter what the signs or lights say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it is the Walk signals fault. Most of the time I see people checking it's only when they are crossing against the light. When you cross with the light, you are trusting your fellow citizens are doing the right thing also. That can either be naïve or poorly calculated risk analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't trust the red light signals- not sure why I would trust the walk signals.

I was taught you make eye contact and confirm they are looking in your direction before crossing.

At freeway overpass/feeder intersections, I've seen some horrific accidents as people trust the green light and then someone doing over 50 on the feeder road runs the red light 2-3 seconds after it turned red.

You'd think it was because they couldn't see people in the underpass. But no-- they hit people on the other side who they could see the entire time.

Anyway, until you see a horrific accident right in front of you or suffer a horrific accident, you don't have the same emotional weight for accident risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand people who run people over.

I don't understand people crossing the street who don't look to make sure a psycho isn't coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in a neighborhood with 30 restaurants within walking distance. I often walk to lunch or dinner. The Kentucky School for the Blind and the American Printing House for the Blind are also in the neighborhood. I see more blind people and seeing eye dogs each day than some people see in their lifetime. Just this morning there was a blind woman at the grocery who gotten her shopping cart entangled with another object. I got her cart loose and she took my arm and said, "Are you my driver?" I said, "No but I'll get you clear this mess and help find him." The young man was outside the Kroger's talking on his cell phone instead of looking for his mom, aunt or grandmother.

So in my neighborhood we have talking traffic signals! "Walk Sign Frankfort Avenue! Walk Sign Frankfort Avenue!" And so on.

But in answer to your question
Yes, I always look both ways and often double check because people turning right on red often don't look to the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
I walk out to the middle, drop my pants, and THEN look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Two statements summarize what I tell my kids

1) Trust - but verify
2) Great - you were in the right, but you are in the hospital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell yeah, I look.

Twice, I have grabbed people who were about to step out in front of traffic at crosswalks - both were staring at their phones. I would have let them go, but I didn't want to get their blood and guts on my suit if they were smashed by the car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you have the right of way so sometimes need to enforce that but I usually try to look. Usually you are looking anyway to cross earlier

When I'm in Manila I make sure someone is upstream of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What kind of low class rejects walk? I drive everywhere and sneer at people on foot or riding their stupid bicycles. When I'm on my motorcycle I try and give them a quick burst of unexpected loud exhaust just to see if I can get them to jump straight up like in the cartoons.

I'm definitely buying a GoPro this year so I can start a YouTube channel about how skittish and dumb pedestrians look when you scare them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Taylor
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Utrecht wrote:
Two statements summarize what I tell my kids

1) Trust - but verify
2) Great - you were in the right, but you are in the hospital.

I had a teacher who used to tell us "They can carve 'It was my right of way' on your gravestone".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I live in a neighborhood with 30 restaurants within walking distance. I often walk to lunch or dinner. The Kentucky School for the Blind and the American Printing House for the Blind are also in the neighborhood.
Oddly, the Society for the Blind in Minneapolis is also located at one of the busiest intersections in the city. I've often wondered if this was a deliberate challenge.

I don't worry about me, but do worry about my kids (10 and 7). They are old enough to be streetwise, but are so f'ing blase about looking both ways whether on foot or bike. Pisses me off with worry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
What kind of low class rejects walk? I drive everywhere and sneer at people on foot or riding their stupid bicycles. When I'm on my motorcycle I try and give them a quick burst of unexpected loud exhaust just to see if I can get them to jump straight up like in the cartoons.

I'm definitely buying a GoPro this year so I can start a YouTube channel about how skittish and dumb pedestrians look when you scare them.

So you troll and then zip away in real life too?

Who'd of thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this exact debate with DdJ. He claimed he would push a baby out into the crosswalk of a busy intersection without first checking for oncoming traffic if he had a walk signal because it's his right to do so. It was one of the few times I've felt like he was either rendered completely absurd by his own cognitive dissonance or just taking the piss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Wait a minute!

People wait for the walk signal?

Where is this, exactly?

Well not for a taxi. Oh wait I mean ONLY for taxis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

That's pretty hilarious. I'd laugh because I have a good sense of humour and would never tip over a parked motorcycle belonging to someone who did that to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here bizarrely the law allows in some cases cars to go past while pedestrians are crossing the road even with a light so one must always look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
I had this exact debate with DdJ. He claimed he would push a baby out into the crosswalk of a busy intersection without first checking for oncoming traffic if he had a walk signal because it's his right to do so. It was one of the few times I've felt like he was either rendered completely absurd by his own cognitive dissonance or just taking the piss.

Maybe he doesnt post much anymore here because he got hit by a car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Hell yea I look. I used to work in Baltimore City, I don't know ho wit is in other cities but people don't give a fuck in that city. So it's habit now.

Pssssssh Baltimore. New Jersey drivers invented "don't give a fuck!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my town crosswalks are ignored by drivers. Only if pedestrians try to inch out directly in front of the car will they potentially stop. Rich assholes have places to be, you peasants (includes other rich assholes walking to Starbucks).

There was one incident where a drunk crossing guard drove into a pedestrian. He kept going, and his friend was driving behind him. He ran that fucker over again just to be sure.

Jersey yo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Do you look before stepping into the street, or do you just assume that because you have a walk signal, that everyone will stop and you have no fear about this?

I have noticed many many many many people that will not look for cars and will blindly step into the street. I can only believe they are operating under the assumption that EVERYONE else is absolutely complying with the rules.

Would you, in a world of texting, legalized pot, general millenial dumbassery, ever step out into the street without looking to see if a car is about to hit you?

What drives someone to operate this way anyways? Too much self entitlement? Craziness? Laziness?

The few times I'm those areas of town I always check the street light. Too many idiots out there who don't obey traffic laws.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Well you have the right of way so sometimes need to enforce that but I usually try to look.

Whilst this is true, the Laws of Physics do tend to trump the Laws of Man. you may be in the 'right', but you'll also be in hospital/ a hole in the ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
I like check both ways to see if a car is coming, if it is I push the person next to me into the street. (Note to self, no more House of Cards)

A friend of mine went to UofM he called it a "pedestrian town" driving around campus is a fucking nightmare. People just go if they see your car or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.