Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For Plan Orange, it is on the map itself, but there is no map key in South Pacific. On one hand, terrain isn't TOO hard to figure out, but considering that SP is going to act as an entry to EotS, it really is a non-trivial error that it was left out.

Maybe Rodger can cobble up a Map Key graphic that can be added to the Files section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:

For Plan Orange, it is on the map itself, but there is no map key in South Pacific. On one hand, terrain isn't TOO hard to figure out, but considering that SP is going to act as an entry to EotS, it really is a non-trivial error that it was left out.

Maybe Rodger can cobble up a Map Key graphic that can be added to the Files section?

For the meantime

white = open
jungle = jungle pattern
olive green = mixed
brown = mountain
trans route, only one at Port Moresby to Buna
Ocean coastal = water and land
atoll = blue circle
Open Ocean = blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jungle pattern and olive green are not the most distinct descriptors ever encountered, to put it charitably. The main need for a key is to tell what the heck "mixed" is supposed to mean, and which is which between it and jungle. In reality, the whole bloody place is both "mixed" and "jungle", so grasping the designer's intent needs an actual key.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:
Jungle pattern and olive green are not the most distinct descriptors ever encountered, to put it charitably. The main need for a key is to tell what the heck "mixed" is supposed to mean, and which is which between it and jungle. In reality, the whole bloody place is both "mixed" and "jungle", so grasping the designer's intent needs an actual key.

I understand, but to be clear there is only one type of hex with a jungle pattern or a pattern of any kind, so I am not sure how much clearer that can be. Mixed is the olive green and represents hill jungle.

https://youtu.be/JpmWYELBzCU?list=PLDp4C70KgUqaoV4Uw1ApJ96us...

At the beginning of the video link there is a close up where I show in full HD color what each hex type is, try using that while we sort out how to create a map key.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterhawk wrote:
SBGrad wrote:

I'm sure Rodger will come up with a fix but in the meanwhile I scanned the TEC from Empire of the Sun.

Thanks Hawkeye, but the TEC is not the issue, this chart is on the South Pacific map. The map key is the color image of what each color hex means. I will try and scan the map key from EotS although it is in numerous photos on the EotS page.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawkeye
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Mark - I've figured it out, but I can readily explain why it wasn't immediately obvious or intuitive. When I am looking at a part of the map where there is only a few clear, some atolls, some mountain and lots of mixed, including mixed on lots of islands that I know were covered in jungle, but I don't happen to have New Guinea in my field of view to see different and distinct "jungle" hexes with the pattern other wargames use for woods, it is super easy to think that the light green I see on all of the islands I know historically are covered in jungle, are meant to be "jungle" terrain.

As for saying that there is only one hex type with any type of pattern, you are too focused on a private piece of English usage in your own mind. Normal English speakers expect that everything material has a color (perhaps white) and everything material has a pattern or texture (perhaps smooth). You want "pattern" to mean "not a uniform color field". That isn't what it means to everyone hearing the word. Again, I can figure out how you are using the term, but I have to try - it isn't plain on its face, your assumptions in the matter notwithstanding.

Just trying to explain how it appeared when I first came to it. I think I played Plan Orange 3 times before actually knowing which terrain modifier was supposed to apply to most hexes in the Philippines...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.