Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Lion God Expansion, any good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hear a lot of complaint that the Lion God expansion is one of the weakest and want to know why exactly and what are the problems?

(Since Silver City sounds AWSOME and i consider swapping the Screaming God for the Lion God)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears so late in the timeline (LY13) that you don't usually see it.

If you play by the book, not a lot of settlements reach that far.

And then, when you do, you would not want to gamble it away against the Lion God.

Other than that, it's a good fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The main fault of the Lion God is that most settlements don't stand a chance against the thing, so you won't see it hit the table very often. You really have to have solid, well-geared and experienced survivors to have a chance, and in my experience so far, even if you win you are likely to lose at least one person, likely two (badly). The expansion itself is a little thin on content. The payoff for winning seems a little lackluster to me, outside of one particular event and its consequences.... oh, and one item, which is pretty damn amazing.

That said, the actual showdown is both challenging in a good way and a hell of a lot of fun. Plus, the content is very interesting stuff. I do not regret my purchase.

I do, however, regret reading the comparison of the Lion God's face to Will Farrell, because now I cannot unsee it. My survivors are getting ripped to pieces by Angry God Will Farrell.

If you are thinking of picking it up on the KS, I say you should. The discount makes it worth the purchase, and with more late-game content in this KS, you'll probably get more use out of it than I have so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
4rch1t3ct wrote:
The main fault of the Lion God is that most settlements don't stand a chance against the thing, so you won't see it hit the table very often. You really have to have solid, well-geared and experienced survivors to have a chance, and in my experience so far, even if you win you are likely to lose at least one person, likely two (badly). The expansion itself is a little thin on content. The payoff for winning seems a little lackluster to me, outside of one particular event and its consequences.... oh, and one item, which is pretty damn amazing.

That said, the actual showdown is both challenging in a good way and a hell of a lot of fun. Plus, the content is very interesting stuff. I do not regret my purchase.

I do, however, regret reading the comparison of the Lion God's face to Will Farrell, because now I cannot unsee it. My survivors are getting ripped to pieces by Angry God Will Farrell.

If you are thinking of picking it up on the KS, I say you should. The discount makes it worth the purchase, and with more late-game content in this KS, you'll probably get more use out of it than I have so far.

how does the lion god compare to the watcher in regards of difficulty and fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Csaba Vékony
msg tools
It's kind of not really anything. It's a quarry, but it has no regular resource deck (you need to complete an event to get its resources instead and they're very rare even then) and the showdown plays more like a really late-game nemesis fight. So essentially it's a ridiculously tough battle for not much reward. It's also a whole new level of quarry above the Phoenix that's introduced in LY 13, which means there are only 6 hunts left to try for it, unless you delay the Watcher, which you should never do.

That said, I think the difficulty of the fight is overstated. A lot of players like to play as low-risk as possible, sticking to level 1 quarries and throwing away sacrificial randos on nemesis fights, so they never learn how to fight tough enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Solarn87 wrote:
It's kind of not really anything. It's a quarry, but it has no regular resource deck (you need to complete an event to get its resources instead and they're very rare even then) and the showdown plays more like a really late-game nemesis fight. So essentially it's a ridiculously tough battle for not much reward. It's also a whole new level of quarry above the Phoenix that's introduced in LY 13, which means there are only 6 hunts left to try for it, unless you delay the Watcher, which you should never do.

That said, I think the difficulty of the fight is overstated. A lot of players like to play as low-risk as possible, sticking to level 1 quarries and throwing away sacrificial randos on nemesis fights, so they never learn how to fight tough enemies.

since i dont own the game (yet) why should you never delay the watcher???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KeksImperium wrote:
Solarn87 wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The longer you delay him, the tougher he gets.

The earlier you fight him, the easier he is.

I finally reached The Watcher about a week ago, so I opted for the early fight to finally put a "Finished KD:M Core Game" under my belt.

Needless to say, the fight was disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Csaba Vékony
msg tools
KeksImperium wrote:
Solarn87 wrote:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It gets tougher the more you delay it and it very quickly outpaces the ability of even the luckiest settlement to keep up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I think I agree with the crowd here. It really does feel more like a nemesis encounter than a quarry. And the upside of hunting doesn't always outweight the costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In terms of difficulty... if you are well prepared (and you jump him early), the Watcher is not bad. The Watcher is at its most dangerous if you can't kill it quickly, because it is really, really good at attrition. In comparison, if you don't have cover or some way to break targeting, the Lion God is going to trample its initial target into paste in round one, and he might have some left over IN THE SAME ROUND for another target... and he can keep going like this if the conditions are right.

I've rumbled with level 3 monsters in KDM several times, including the Flower Knight, the Gorm, the DBK and the Manhunter. Some of them may be trickier than the Lion God, but none of them except the level 3 DBK represent a similar level of hazard (DBK 3 largely because of Burrow). Lion God 1 is doable, but if you make one mistake or have one stroke of bad luck, he is a wrecking ball. I haven't tried Lion God 2-3 yet, so I can't testify to how they are different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KeksImperium wrote:
4rch1t3ct wrote:

the watcher is one of the owrst showdowns in the game and he isnt particularly hard if you are geared correctly, i think a lvl1 lion god is abit tougher than the watcher, but way more enjoyable to fight in fact hes probably in the top 5 showdowns

i wouldnt be surprised if the silver city expansion turns the lion god into a boss monster and has the survivors face a nemesis lost knight as well as multiple hunts against the lesser dungeon creatures in search of treasure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:
KeksImperium wrote:
4rch1t3ct wrote:

the watcher is one of the owrst showdowns in the game and he isnt particularly hard if you are geared correctly, i think a lvl1 lion god is abit tougher than the watcher, but way more enjoyable to fight in fact hes probably in the top 5 showdowns

i wouldnt be surprised if the silver city expansion turns the lion god into a boss monster and has the survivors face a nemesis lost knight as well as multiple hunts against the lesser dungeon creatures in search of treasure

adam actually stated the lion god IS the boss monster of the silver city

and from what i read here it will be a fitting end fight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
4rch1t3ct wrote:
I do, however, regret reading the comparison of the Lion God's face to Will Farrell, because now I cannot unsee it.

And, of course, you decide to share, for no obvious reasons, what you regretted to read in the first place.
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion in and of itself as far as the showdown, loot, lore, and art are concerned is quite good. I think it falls flat in that its content is a tad thin outside of the specific treasures you can get from it and the Necromancer parasite.

Honestly LG doesn't deserve a lot of the flak it takes online from being lumped down there with Spidicules and the Tree. LG is clearly a head above both Spidicules and LT. The former is problematic, messes with the rest of the game unnecessarily, and manages to ruin a quarry that looks great on paper. The latter is quite simply riddled with typos, few story events for the cash you pay, and a Lonely Lady bereft of purpose. Perhaps that is why she is lonely?

No, the Lion God at least has a solid showdown it doesn't ruin for itself and some good heft (pun kind of intended) behind its story elements and setting the mood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Sixer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
4rch1t3ct wrote:
I do, however, regret reading the comparison of the Lion God's face to Will Farrell, because now I cannot unsee it.

And, of course, you decide to share, for no obvious reasons, what you regretted to read in the first place.
Thanks!

My thoughts exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
of course I shared. This IS the KDM forum. I assume a certain amount of masochism here, so sharing the pain should be welcome. Now you have extra morale incentive to beat the Lion God.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there isn't masochism in a game I like it less nowadays. Same goes for my RPGs. I'll take that roll of 3 on 3D6 and like it damnit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
KeksImperium wrote:
gorkel wrote:
KeksImperium wrote:
4rch1t3ct wrote:

adam actually stated the lion god IS the boss monster of the silver city

and from what i read here it will be a fitting end fight!

Thats good because as a boss monster he will work great but as a huntable monster he isnt really worth it currently. Perhaps as more lantern years are opened up and settlements have better and better gear he might be worth hunting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
4rch1t3ct wrote:

I feel you, man. But rest easy, because now you can retaliate... IN A WILL FARRELL ARMOR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italic Font
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'all are crazy, the L1 and L2 Lion Gods have exploitable weaknesses. They are not as hard as people think they are. This myth has built up around the Lion God and it's gotten out of hand - people are failing because they expect to fail. Go hunt in the KD:M FB group and you'll find clues about how to beat the L1 + L2 Lion God and even the basic principles of how to beat the L3. Or if I get bored enough and have the time, I'll put up a session report of beating the LG in LY13 if you want, I've got records of my LY13 builds I used to slap the LG around previously - I'll even handicap myself and not take Fetasaurs (even though I normally have it around LY13 anyway these days).

The problem isn't the difficulty, it's that the rewards are not worth the effort once you have the L1 and L2 rewards plus the SFA.

Silver City should change this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Italics wrote:
Y'all are crazy, the L1 and L2 Lion Gods have exploitable weaknesses. They are not as hard as people think they are. This myth has built up around the Lion God and it's gotten out of hand - people are failing because they expect to fail. Go hunt in the KD:M FB group and you'll find clues about how to beat the L1 + L2 Lion God and even the basic principles of how to beat the L3. Or if I get bored enough and have the time, I'll put up a session report of beating the LG in LY13 if you want, I've got records of my LY13 builds I used to slap the LG around previously - I'll even handicap myself and not take Fetasaurs (even though I normally have it around LY13 anyway these days).

The problem isn't the difficulty, it's that the rewards are not worth the effort once you have the L1 and L2 rewards plus the SFA.

Silver City should change this.

I concur. I had more problems with L1 DBK at LY8 (never beaten, although some people around did it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me reopen this old thread (in Order to not spam a new one out into the world):
With the reopening of BackerKit I just ordered the Lion God as my first expansion to KD:M!
Along with it I ordered Gorm (for Node 1-Diversity), the Silver City (because I think it sounds great) and the first survivor to get faster to the Silver City if I should have difficulties during the early settlement years.
Sounds like a good combo to me. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Silver City is still in development, can't judge that part.
Lion God is challenging and can feel unfair at L1, especially if you play to canonically hit and tank without any expansion flair to it. Base game masteries (without spoiling too much) are all you need to do a L1 LG successfully, so go with it.

As a personal recommendation, DBK is my favourite expansion and is still challenging, bringing even more to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
OK... I keep the DBK in mind... maybe for next years black friday. Of course running the risk of it not being available at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.